• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How fast is your internet connection?

My computer is an essential part of my entertainment system.
The monitor is a 50 inch TV and I'm running a fairly high wattage homebuilt surround system with high end speakers.

bunnynet.png

Pathetically slow. I live in a rural location. Down 25.62. Up 2.75
I had pathetically slow and got fed up with it for years.
Then they strung the fiber optics in my one horse town.

Pop. less than 200 qualifies us as Podunk USA :p

Interesting. The economics don't add up, but then maybe the right palms got greased?

Here areas with newer infrastructure got fiber optics. But older areas with the same cable/ISP/phone companies are still struggling to reach 100mbps.

Interesting. The economics don't add up, but then maybe the right palms got greased?

Here areas with newer infrastructure got fiber optics. But older areas with the same cable/ISP/phone companies are still struggling to reach 100mbps.
Our existing cable system is in a state of ill-repair.
There are several providers involved in the fiber optics and it actually a better way to go instead of a continual patch of the rubbish.

So in the bigger picture, why not go all the way?

I got their top tiered plan mostly because I wanted it.

Our existing cable system is in a state of ill-repair.
There are several providers involved in the fiber optics and it actually a better way to go instead of a continual patch of the rubbish.

So in the bigger picture, why not go all the way?

I got their top tiered plan mostly because I wanted it.
I see. Yeah, if they rebuilt it top-to-bottom it makes more sense.

Something I don't see our ISP doing. Sad though to see my cousin constantly lamenting about her bandwidth when we both have the same carrier. "Patch of rubbish" sounds similar to what they must deal with.

I'm guessing I'd need a top-end router to make the most of what my physical connection can presently bear. No higher than 866Mbps. Measured in my room by my carrier when they last made a house call.

Last edited:
The other way to look at it is that I don't pay for the piped in commercials for the idiot box (TV) either ;)

Seeing this makes me really happy. For years of my life I had nothing but trouble with internet providers. It wasn't long ago when I was living out in the country and still used DSL! Living in a city now with access to fiberoptic internet is such an improvement to my quality of life!

I live in a small place in the countryside so I was pretty surprised a few years ago when the county splurged and dug down fiber optic cables all over the area. They say it's super fast. One goes right past my house so I can hook up to that later if I want to. Didn't do it when they dug it down because I thought it was a bit too expensive, $150 a month for internet and tv, and I don't really need it.

I live in a small place in the countryside so I was pretty surprised a few years ago when the county splurged and dug down fiber optic cables all over the area. They say it's super fast. One goes right past my house so I can hook up to that later if I want to. Didn't do it when they dug it down because I thought it was a bit too expensive, $150 a month for internet and tv, and I don't really need it.
I pay $87 a month for my hyper speeds as opposed to the $100 a month for unreliable junk cable stuff, so it was a no brainer.
The next tier down on the fiber wasn't really a bargain either, so I went for broke.

I'm planning on leaving TalkTalk. Their speed is beyond atrocious.

When I tested it, I was only ever able to get 1MBPS. I never notice my speed is bad for loading up pages. It's practically immediate. But for uploading and downloading anything like media, it's a chore.

These days, you can just get an unlimited data pack and tether from your mobile. Although one con to that is that indoors, the speed can be reduced as well because of the building you're in.

14565227135.png

I switched from a major cable/internet provider in the states (Spectrum) to just 5G home internet now (T-Mobile). The speeds can vary since it's 5G/LTE based and not cable or fiber, and the connection can be unstable...or it was for me a few months ago...but I'm not complaining at all. On a good day like today, those speeds are more or less what I can expect.

The only other alternative right now at my place is AT&T's outdated DSL (10mbps up/1mbps down). I don't know about any plans to get any cable or fiber running through these apartments, and I'm not holding my breath either. For some reason, the apartments across the street I stay at are cable ready, but I've no interest in any sort of paying for TV that's out of my control PLUS internet.

My 'net was running a little cranky last night, peaking out at a 300mbps rate on download, so I started to monitor it.

This morning brought about a change I can live with:
Screenshot 2024-01-08 121322.png

Remember dial up internet, it was actually not that slow but it lost connection sometimes. I do not see how WiFi is much faster, it could be slower for some idk

New Threads

Top Bottom