• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Am I helping my boyfriend by leaving him be and respect his request to give him space?

• Yes, give him the space he needs and he’ll be fine

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • No, this is not going to work

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Autism doesn't really dictate personalities... He is just like everyone else in that regard, his own person. Autism (ASD 1 / Aspergers which I presume he has) only really affects social interaction and sensitivity to sound/light etc... But really, we're all just people. We can be horrible, we can be nice - it's separate from ASD.

If anything I'm probably like your boyfriend. I have some autistic traits and suffer from depression and anxiety - but at the same time I have a neurotypical partner of nearly 14 years. We moved in very quickly after meeting and while living with someone else was a challenge at times, I know I had to work for it, because I love him. Depression does distort my emotions and how things look a lot of the time and it can twist reality. From a depressed aspie's point of view, you going away on a request isn't a good idea. In a warped way it can signal that you won't fight for his well-being and will leave like the others did. Sometimes it's a struggle to fight against someone's mindset when they seem so convinced that they want to be alone... but there's a difference between wanting to be alone because they want peace and quiet to unwind and calm the brain or to wallow in their deeply troubled state. I know when I get very low I also push my boyfriend away, but he never leaves. I get angry, upset, irritated, but he stays and gets angry and upset with me, AT me, but that elevated emotion gets me to explode and release feelings and explain why I feel the way I do. He knows it's the only way for me to talk about it - we never, ever argue and have a very respectful relationship. It's just that he knows that for me - someone who cannot talk about how I feel, to push hard is the only way to make me feel better.

Oh and I forgot to say - I'm a very calm, quiet person and my partner sounds a little like you :) in a good way - but as a child he had a hyperactivity disorder and as an adult he can be spontaneous, energetic, sometimes a whirlwind of energy - which I'm not going to lie - can be exhausting for me! He works 9-5 so I have some peace and quiet, without that I'd probably go a little crazy!

I know not everyone is the same and it may very well not be the case for your boyfriend. All I can do, is offer my own experiences. Sorry if it wasn't helpful and I really hope you two work things out. x

Last edited:
Autism doesn't really dictate personalities... He is just like everyone else in that regard, his own person. Autism (ASD 1 / Aspergers which I presume he has) only really affects social interaction and sensitivity to sound/light etc... But really, we're all just people. We can be horrible, we can be nice - it's separate from ASD.

If anything I'm probably like your boyfriend. I have some autistic traits and suffer from depression and anxiety - but at the same time I have a neurotypical partner of nearly 14 years. We moved in very quickly after meeting and while living with someone else was a challenge at times, I know I had to work for it, because I love him. Depression does distort my emotions and how things look a lot of the time and it can twist reality. From a depressed aspie's point of view, you going away on a request isn't a good idea. In a warped way it can signal that you won't fight for his well-being and will leave like the others did. Sometimes it's a struggle to fight against someone's mindset when they seem so convinced that they want to be alone... but there's a difference between wanting to be alone because they want peace and quiet to unwind and calm the brain or to wallow in their deeply troubled state. I know when I get very low I also push my boyfriend away, but he never leaves. I get angry, upset, irritated, but he stays and gets angry and upset with me, AT me, but that elevated emotion gets me to explode and release feelings and explain why I feel the way I do. He knows it's the only way for me to talk about it - we never, ever argue and have a very respectful relationship. It's just that he knows that for me - someone who cannot talk about how I feel, to push hard is the only way to make me feel better.

Oh and I forgot to say - I'm a very calm, quiet person and my partner sounds a little like you :) in a good way - but as a child he had a hyperactivity disorder and as an adult he can be spontaneous, energetic, sometimes a whirlwind of energy - which I'm not going to lie - can be exhausting for me! He works 9-5 so I have some peace and quiet, without that I'd probably go a little crazy!

I know not everyone is the same and it may very well not be the case for your boyfriend. All I can do, is offer my own experiences. Sorry if it wasn't helpful and I really hope you two work things out. x

Your response helped millions! He is indeed a very lonely person to begin with so I understand that living together (especially with me) can be tough and he needs space, we live in a very very very small flat with no personal space. Also work has been crazy for him at the moment so he has no clue how to handle his work life, friend life and girlfriend life all together. He has been withholding from friend activity also which is a shame since he has amazing friends. I do love and appreciate he told me honestly that he doesn’t know what to do with this social bonds and is feeling very pressured to do activities with everyone and really needs to recharge his mental battery on his own.

Like you said, I’m scared he thinks I’m just willing to leave when he asks and that I’m not willing to put on a fight. I did write him a letter that I am here for him when he needs me and that I love him and that I am never giving up on him even though I’m not physically there.

Especially your insight with your boyfriend reminds me of us, it is good to know that you also feel as my boyfriend feels sometimes which is exhausted by me but that it can work.

You helped and I love to hear anyone’s story so I can see what works for us/him/me. :)

If you have more tips on autism and what I can do or need to understand I’d be very grateful.

Last edited:
Months without personal space and always around another person who demands my attention would make me suicidal. Not that I'd ever do that to myself.

Months without personal space and always around another person who demands my attention would make me suicidal. Not that I'd ever do that to myself.

This is actually very true, I understand what you’re saying. I didn’t think I mentioned it in my original message but we did just spent a 1,5 week holiday together, as in no one else but us.

Besides that he works later so that means that I am always home before him.

Your message made me actually feel really good about my decision to give him (and myself) some space.

Besides the giving space thing, do you have any insight on autism so I can learn to understand him better?

Needing more then average time alone is a very common occurance among people on the spectrum. But it can occur also living in the same home. As in having different rooms you hang out, or even being in the same room but limiting interaction.

SPACE1 TICKET 2.gif

Needing more then average time alone is a very common occurance among people on the spectrum. But it can occur also living in the same home. As in having different rooms you hang out, or even being in the same room but limiting interaction.

View attachment 53453

Thank you, I honestly didn’t know that more time alone was needed. I suspected this but it is good to know it is common.

Thank you, I honestly didn’t know that more time alone was needed. I suspected this but it is good to know it is common.

I really do not know all the reasons for it, but one common explanation (which I also experience myself) is that even normal day to day interactions with people, at our job, etc, are more demanding on us. Trying to fit in and act normal requires extra concentration and expenditure of energy. People sometimes call it 'wearing the mask'. Quiet time alone is one of the most basic methods used to recharge the depleted batteries so to speak.

Personally, I'd want scheduled times/days to be apart, such as particular activities done separately or places to go alone. The fact that it's regular and scheduled combined with the fact that it's time alone would make this very helpful, in my opinion. I believe this is a common idea for NT relationships, as well, although perhaps often not quite as regular and scheduled.

Tom, I'm noticing that I agree with you a lot. :)

Like Tom said, my husband and I sit in the same room with limited interaction. I don't actually like being completely alone, but I do want to be left alone when I'm involved in something. So I happily sit in a room with my whole family around me every day, but I ask them not to try not to talk to me if I'm working on something.

That's not enough for my autistic son, who prefers to be completely alone at times. He can get quite irritable if he doesn't get enough alone time.

It sounds like y'all really need to sit down and figure out exactly what EACH of you needs from the relationship, then figure out how you can both have that. It may involve a schedule, like Fino said, and a private spot for him when he needs it, whatever. Just don't forget that it's not all about him. You sound kind of down on yourself. Stop that. :)

My husband is the one with ADHD in our relationship, and we've been together almost 30 years.

This is actually very true, I understand what you’re saying. I didn’t think I mentioned it in my original message but we did just spent a 1,5 week holiday together, as in no one else but us.

Besides that he works later so that means that I am always home before him.

Your message made me actually feel really good about my decision to give him (and myself) some space.

Besides the giving space thing, do you have any insight on autism so I can learn to understand him better?

A bigger place where he could retreat when he need a alone space. When l got married, l found myself going to the bedroom to get my alone time, but my ex would come in. He grew up with 4 brothers, so alone time was a foreign concept to him. I need alone time even away from living with someone, it helps me stay in touch with my feelings.

I voted that it is not going to work.

Both of you have issues that are just too complicated for such a huge step, as being together full time.

I'm not voting because I don't know how this will work out, no one does. I do think it's good you've been able to talk about what's needed, and made a plan for the short term. That's promising. You are very different, but I expect you are each in some ways attracted to the different way your partner is. However, difference can make things complex, and can affect communication.

Keep on checking things out with others, that's a great tactic, and is supportive for you. Also you having support means you don't have to only rely on him, that's always helpful in a partnership.

Your response helped millions! He is indeed a very lonely person to begin with so I understand that living together (especially with me) can be tough and he needs space, we live in a very very very small flat with no personal space. Also work has been crazy for him at the moment so he has no clue how to handle his work life, friend life and girlfriend life all together. He has been withholding from friend activity also which is a shame since he has amazing friends. I do love and appreciate he told me honestly that he doesn’t know what to do with this social bonds and is feeling very pressured to do activities with everyone and really needs to recharge his mental battery on his own.

Like you said, I’m scared he thinks I’m just willing to leave when he asks and that I’m not willing to put on a fight. I did write him a letter that I am here for him when he needs me and that I love him and that I am never giving up on him even though I’m not physically there.

Especially your insight with your boyfriend reminds me of us, it is good to know that you also feel as my boyfriend feels sometimes which is exhausted by me but that it can work.

You helped and I love to hear anyone’s story so I can see what works for us/him/me. :)

If you have more tips on autism and what I can do or need to understand I’d be very grateful.

You did the right thing with the letter... Sometimes words can be empty without action (to me at least), but it seems like you're really trying and I hope he can see that even in his state of mind.

I guess if work is stressful for him and on top of that he has friends and at home life is somewhat cramped, it sounds quite stressful and can lead to an eventual meltdown of sorts. I guess the key is to find harmony in spending time together. My partner and I pretty much always sit in our office together - but I do feel like I have time to myself. We have large periods of time when he's playing a video game and I do my own thing and we don't talk - except for a small non-verbal noise every once in a while to acknowledge and appreciate each other's presence (a cat noise of sorts as we're cat people - it's the best way I can describe it). My boyfriend is a lovely man, he knows I need my own space and like to do things without too much disturbance, but of course if either of us wants to share a cute animal picture with each other we do that! Or if we see something interesting we link it on Skype and have a 2-5 minute chat about it. It's ok for one of us to say "I'll look at it in a few minutes, I am doing something right now". I guess the thing is not to yank the other person out of the thing they're concentrating on. Some Aspies get very absorbed in their personal interest/hobby and taking them out of that focus can be stressful. If there are things that need doing some warning can be given and time allowed to do it in their own time (such as chores/outings/etc).

Maybe a little space can be found where the other person can sit and chill out for a bit as a signal that they don't want to be talked to for a bit. Talking can be quite a taxing process, we have to constantly assess voice tone, facial expressions (if we even know how to recognise those), body language, possible emotions displayed, actual meaning of the words and if there's a hidden meaning. For me that's a very conscious effort every time I talk to someone. If your boyfriend has to do that in a professional setting it could be very draining as he can't be his usual self like he can be around yourself and his friends. I would probably say he might not necessarily need to be completely alone, but needs time to himself without too much outside things going on. Even noise can be distracting, like clicking, people running/walking around, whistling, singing. You need to talk to him to find a way to co-exist together so you can both be happy. If it means for him to be a more tolerant and involve himself in your activities for half a day and for half a day for you to be making as little noise as humanly possible and not try to involve him in everything you're doing or thinking then that's a fair compromise - but it must never be one sided. You are both trying to make things work and it is as much for him to learn to live with you as it is for you to do the same. So the only way you can resolve it is to talk and find what both of your core needs are and find where they can interlap. It might be hard, but get him to write it down - that way he has time to think about it rather than have to come up with things on the spot. You do the same as see what those needs are together.

There are many successful relationships with people on the spectrum, every relationship takes work. NT relationships breakup all the time.

So, first off al my boyfriend has autism and I have ADHD. While he wants to be on his own and do his work, I am literally running through the house beginning chores and projects and never ever finishing them.

We have a very good relationship but did start living together quite soon.

I noticed that now he has a drepession hes having some trouble with having a relationship. This depression he gets every once in a while ended most of his relationships before me.

To make things even better, I suffer from extreme anxiety and panic attacks. Resulting in me not being able to move for hours and imagine the worst possible outcomes of every little thing in life.

What my boyfriend asked of me scared the hell out of me; he asked me if I could give him some space and maybe stop living together for some time. (With autism you can imagine he did not tell me this in one sentence or at the right time or even look me in the eyes, nevertheless, I am happy he told me.)

(You probably can imagine my reaction right there and then.)

I am struggling to understand him and am questioning myself if I made the right choice to give him the space he needs and go to a hotel for 2 nights. After this I will be home for 2 nights and after that he decided, I may have told him to do this, to go on a 4 day trip to the country side to ground himself.

I really try to understand him (or my dad who also has autism) but do not always understand him. Also of course, having me around is a lot and takes much energy out of everyone to be fair.

I am not sure if I am contributing to the depression by giving him this much space or if I’m actually helping him. He doesn’t want to talk but I let him know that I am there for him if he wants to talk.

l think it is beautiful that you understand yourself so well, but you need to accept that this maybe a 50/50 percent outcome. Can you sit down long enough and ask him if he is committed to this relationship enough? Because if he is really struggling then you have to take this spoon of reality medicine and figure out you. Would a temporary situation of living apart help him open up and feel more comfortable about talking about this relationship? Good luck, l am keeping my fingers crossed that this does work out.

I (Aspie) have been living with my NT boyfriend for over five years, and although I love him dearly I frequently wish I could have my own place to get away from his chaos. I can sympathize with how your boyfriend feels.

Monachopia has hit the nail on the head! I will explain my version too and maybe it'll help, This space thing started out kind of small for me but eventually it became a common thing, and overtime my ex got more and more sick of it and eventually left, As Monachopia said i could do things like push her away and seem like i don't care but that was just low moods and suffocation talking, She fought a few times for me and i loved that but eventually it got kind of annoying for her and she left, Which i can fully understand.

The whole space thing is a little hard to explain because it's not like we stop loving but it's kind of like your depression/need for space will overtake the way you think for a while, I could get really low mood and very "I'm not sure i can do this.." then like a few hours later i'll be like "oh my god what have i done?" so yeah it's very confusing but mostly for me it was the fact that i've been so so alone for so many years i don't have any friends or anything and then suddenly a full blown relationship, I could have improved but yeah it's takes a lot of work for the opposite person and patience, This might not apply to you or your bf but thought i'd share what happened with me in case any bells ring, I hope things go well :)

New Threads

Top Bottom