1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Has anyone on the spectrum self taught themselves to play instruments?

Discussion in 'Movies, Music & Television' started by MsGyver, Mar 5, 2020.

1. MsGyver

MsGyver New Member

If so where did you start? I tried teaching myself to play guitar but I quickly got very lost and discouraged, mostly because I've never had a problem teaching myself how to do something. Music is one of my passions and I don't want to give up learning about it! <3 Any suggestions would be helpful :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Bolletje

Bolletje Overly complicated potato V.I.P Member

I taught myself to play piano.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Anjy

Anjy Mi estas weirdo, granda weirdo...

I taught myself the guitar. I started with accompanying songs I knew, just the chords, and later I tried to pick melodies. But I was 17 at that time and had tons of time since i had no friends. I later tried the recorder, clarinet and accordion and got as far that I liked to listen to myself playing. But only songs I know and like, not from sheet music.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Schism

Schism Well-Known Member

Guitar, drums, piano (latter in progress). Guitar was when it was just old fashioned tab books or by ear, replaying a record over & over again (wrecked loads of vintage vinyl doing that). It doesn't come in a day..or a year unless you're gifted. I am not. But I ended playing in many bands & earned a wage for a while.

A LOT easier now with online videos & tabs etc. Pause button in particular. But piano, I still find sheet music & plodding the old fashioned way the best.

End of the day, hard work, daily hour at least practise and in a few years. .some progress ;)...keep it up!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Tom

Tom Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I sometimes led parades thru the house with my kids (and now with Chihuahuas) tapping on the bottom of an empty coffee tin. Never took a single lesson.

* Tip: The plastic ones are just as good. In fact I prefer their more subtle but richer sound.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Thinx

Thinx Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I tried to learn guitar for many years, had lessons and worked hard at it. But with limited success, though I enjoyed it. Really I realised that unfortunately hard work wasn't gonna be enough. I'm not musical. Might try some more though...

• Like Like x 1
  7. Rasputin

Rasputin ASD / Aspie V.I.P Member

I
    Have a cousin who taught himself to play the piano. He just somehow knew how to play, without ever taking music lessons.

8. Fino

Fino Alex V.I.P Member

Youtube! And piano has method books which help teach you.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Judge

Judge Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Many years ago I was given a fancy harmonica as a gift and simply figured out how to play it.

No lessons at all...just spent time at it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mona Pereth

Mona Pereth New Member

When I was about 4 years old, at around the same time I was finally getting around to learning how to walk and how to talk, I figured out on my own how to play the piano by ear -- just one-finger melodies at first, and then chords.

I never reached professional musician skill level, however.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SolarPoweredNightOwl

SolarPoweredNightOwl Walking contradiction

Self-taught drummer. I suggest you use YouTube and other resources, so you don't accidentally teach yourself bad habits like I did.

• Like Like x 1
  12. BrokenBoy

BrokenBoy 戯言使い(Nonsense User)

I know the difference between say, a G key and an A key from a Youtube video. I've had no formal training.

• Like Like x 2
  13. ZebraAspie

ZebraAspie Well-Known Member

My brother can pick up any instrument and just play it. My friend taught herself to sing.

14. clg114

clg114 Still crazy, after all these years. Staff Member V.I.P Member

I can play a pretty mean stereo, but that is it. Anything more takes something that I do not have, talent.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Roy Nel

Roy Nel Super-passionate about notating my own songs!

Hi MsGyver! Yes, I taught myself how to play the piano, and then advanced to the keyboard/digital piano and organ. They all require the same musical theory to read notated sheet music. My mother, however, was already a pianist and gave me a foot up with reading notation. I later discovered my gift for sight-reading sheet music and song writing. I've reached the point where I want to work at music professionally when I've immigrated to Thousand Palms, CA from South Africa. I should be out of South Africa in under 2 weeks, after getting my passport.

16. Lydiasaurus

Lydiasaurus Active Member

I play guitar, had lessons, also taught myself drums and keyboard. I sing too, but never had a lesson.

• Like Like x 1