• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you try to make friends by "buying" them?

Do you try and buy friends?

• Total voters

Amy Stone

V.I.P Member
As an Aspie, I tend to not connect to people on an emotional level. Instead, I try to show my affection or interest by doing, buying, or making something nice for them. Some examples:

-New neighbors were moving in and I had pizza and soda delivered
-I made art and sent art to several people
-I made the whole neighborhood pumpkin rolls for Christmas
-I volunteered to install a garden
-I helped some neighbors build a website (no charge)
-I bought some girls handmade soap and lotion
-For multiple other people I made dinner, baked cookies, gave away free services (like photography or art)

When I meet someone I automatically go to "maybe I should do XYZ for them to show how much I care!" But over the last couple of years I stopped doing these things because they almost never work. I usually end up being a doormat.

I am just wondering how many other Aspies out there try to "make friends" by doing or buying or making something for someone? Did it work? Have you been used? Do you still try to buy friendship or did you stop?

Just curious!!!

I would make things for people.
Embroidered braintan bags with beads or quillwork, holsters, just general nicknacks. I made a beautiful pair of beaded moccasins for my girlfriend’s birthday. Right now I’m commissioned to make a complete American Revolution uniform for material price only.

With the exception of my girlfriend I’d always feel a gulf of disconnect regardless. I obviously still do it though.

I would make things for people.
Embroidered braintan bags with beads or quillwork, holsters, just general nicknacks. I made a beautiful pair of beaded moccasins for my girlfriend’s birthday. Right now I’m commissioned to make a complete American Revolution uniform for material price only.

With the exception of my girlfriend I’d always feel a gulf of disconnect regardless. I obviously still do it though.

Wow! I would be ecstatic if someone gifted me with any of those. I hope all the recipients appreciate/d them!

Never gave it a thought. Probably because I figure that when the money runs out, so would the friendship.

Though I admit, I had a few so-called "friends" in my childhood who would have fit such a description.

Last edited:
Sounds like effort. Too much effort.

I'm more the type to just, I dunno, throw a fish or something and say "go away". It reaches that end goal so much faster.

Kinda of not clear where the line is on this. Grew up in Italien family, where you never show up at someone's house empty handed. My friend probably thinks it's superficial but for me this was installed in childhood. It feels good to show recognition for being invited over and sincerity. But again, this is cultural for me.

I honestly do not know how a person would buy a friend? Should I be embarrassed? Seriously, what has to be done to get a friend this way?

I’ve never had much money, until now. There are about 3 friends I’ve had over 30 years and we don’t buy each other things other than we have had each other over for dinner.

Am very impressed at the level of energy, Wow! Wish I felt like doing all those things, what a blessing!

I honestly do not know how a person would buy a friend? Should I be embarrassed? Seriously, what has to be done to get a friend this way?

LOL. Glad you posted that. I was thinking pretty much the same though. That the very thought of this (for better or worse) would have never occurred to me. I guess I never thought of relationships as investments. Maybe I should have. :confused:

Yeah, I never had very many friends as a child or as an adult.

Well. I'm on the opposite approach. Get to know said person. Understand their likes and dislikes. Gauge their reaction to gifts. Then decide accordingly.

If you're generous to people they think you're stupid. I stopped being generous, it's not reciprocated.

Why be generous though if your expecting it to be reciprocated? Why not just be generous and not tell someone just let them go on with life thinking that something good happened to them? Thinking out loud, it’s something we have started doing and it’s fun. Just do something nice for someone, it can be something small and then don’t tell them. Some people call this karma, we call it blessing someone.

I've come to an understanding with my friends that the most valuable gift you can give is your time, especially to listen to and be with them when they need it, just as they will be there for you.

I lent some money to a friend who was in need, but then she kept on asking for more. To be fair, she did pay some of it back, but then moved away while she still owed a lot and didn't contact me again. So that was the end of that 'friendship.'

Kinda of not clear where the line is on this. Grew up in Italien family, where you never show up at someone's house empty handed. My friend probably thinks it's superficial but for me this was installed in childhood. It feels good to show recognition for being invited over and sincerity. But again, this is cultural for me.
Yes, exactly this, that you never visit anyone without bringing something, food, a contribution to the table, or flowers, lower middle class in New Zealand this was part of being well brought up, even if it is just a packet of biscuits or nice fruit. Beyond that if I like someone, I will do something nice for them, knit something, make something, go out of my way - i never saw it as buying friends, but do know others find it ‘too much’ so i am careful about how and when I do this.

I absolutely hate when people do that to me. It feels creepy. I feel like they are holding something over me and will expect something back from me. Like I now owe them because they bought me something.

With close friends and family I have no problems with gifts, but if it's someone I don't know well, it's a huge red flag.

We do that in the UK too. If someone invites you dinner you bring a bottle of wine. That isn't what the OP is talking about. You and I bring a polite gift. The OP is trying to get people to like them by giving them things in an out of context kind of way.

I think the gift thing may be a bit of a red herring, in that, our failure to establish and maintain friendships is due to difference in our communication at a neurological level. We do not do the expected things. We do not even know what they are, really.

Sometimes we have a try with something. Gift giving. Saying hello. Oops they moved in 6 months ago and wonder why I ve suddenly said hello. Yet to me, 6 months doesn’t seem long to get around to greeting them. I might even send a welcome to Yr new home card at that stage. But oh, turns out they were just renting and now they've found a better place and are moving out. Byeeee. Life's too short perhaps for my pace of social communication.

I absolutely hate when people do that to me. It feels creepy. I feel like they are holding something over me and will expect something back from me. Like I now owe them because they bought me something.

With close friends and family I have no problems with gifts, but if it's someone I don't know well, it's a huge red flag.

But why, or where does this thinking come from in your history? A huge red flag that means...? What are the examples of what happens next?

New Threads

Top Bottom