• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do Aspies Have A Sense of Humor?

My attempts at humor seem to be hit or miss.
I usually get compliments for being funny when I'm not trying to be, and get no laughs when I do try. I really don't know if I have a good sense of humor or not... hm.
People I ask however, tend to answer that I do, and that my sense of humor is apparently pretty unique, so that's nice.
In the end, as long as it seems to others like I have a sense of humor, I don't much care if I actually do or not, haha.

Well, that's as far as daily conversations go.
I'm also a comic artist, but that's a whole other kind of humor, at least I believe so. Being humorous on the fly is a lot harder than scripting it.

I have to say I enjoyed this thread. Sometimes I think I'm hilarious but most people don't get my humor.. I think it goes over their heads. Or they take me literally.. I can be pretty dry and deadpan. But then then when someone else makes a literal joke I usually don't get it. My roommate finds endless fun in making those kind of jokes with me and waiting for them to sink in.

My attempts at humor seem to be hit or miss.
I usually get compliments for being funny when I'm not trying to be, and get no laughs when I do try. I really don't know if I have a good sense of humor or not... hm.
People I ask however, tend to answer that I do, and that my sense of humor is apparently pretty unique, so that's nice.
In the end, as long as it seems to others like I have a sense of humor, I don't much care if I actually do or not, haha.

Well, that's as far as daily conversations go.
I'm also a comic artist, but that's a whole other kind of humor, at least I believe so. Being humorous on the fly is a lot harder than scripting it.

It never seems to work out when I try too hard to be funny, but I'm pretty sure it's that way for everyone. I just try and relax and make humorous comments when different subjects arise, sometimes it works and sometimes not, not every joke can be a winner.

I have to say I enjoyed this thread. Sometimes I think I'm hilarious but most people don't get my humor.. I think it goes over their heads. Or they take me literally.. I can be pretty dry and deadpan. But then then when someone else makes a literal joke I usually don't get it. My roommate finds endless fun in making those kind of jokes with me and waiting for them to sink in.

I know what you mean, I can be deadpan myself and try to be that way like acting on purpose, the people who know me think it's hilarious but those who don't totally think i'm being serious and making an actual statement.

Casey Anthony.jpg

I don't understand a lot of jokes that people say. Instead, I create a bunch of inside jokes with my aspie friends. It works perfectly.

Weeell... I personally think I have a great sense of humor. It's just that other people don't agree with me. My coworkers often laugh when I say something that wasn't meant as a joke. And when I do say something funny (to me at least), there is awkward silence.

I think a lot of humor today is too cruel and/or negative. It's basically insults. I don't get offended by it, I just don't think it's funny. There's also a lot of humor that solely depends on whether you get the reference or not.

Agree with everything you just said, have all seasons and episodes of MST3K downloaded, watched Future War yesterday!

My husband has them all recorded on disc (Cinematic Titanic, too). And we have all the Riffs on our server. I've really been appreciating the Bridget & Mary Jo shorts lately, myself.

Have you ever been to a live (well, "live"/tape-delayed for us in the PST) show via Fathom Events? We missed the cast reunion show, and I was really bummed about that. I hope we can see Carnival of Souls at Halloween.

How do you feel about the new upcoming Netflix series featuring Jonah Ray?

My husband has them all recorded on disc (Cinematic Titanic, too). And we have all the Riffs on our server. I've really been appreciating the Bridget & Mary Jo shorts lately, myself.

Have you ever been to a live (well, "live"/tape-delayed for us in the PST) show via Fathom Events? We missed the cast reunion show, and I was really bummed about that. I hope we can see Carnival of Souls at Halloween.

How do you feel about the new upcoming Netflix series featuring Jonah Ray?

Well I'm not sure, I'm usually the type that discovers a show like 2 years after it's over (Breaking Bad), I download everything from like Pirate Bay so I don't know all the netflix shows coming out. Now as I'm typing I realize that Jonah Ray is about the guy with Asperger's, I will watch it. Have you ever seen Lars and the Real Girl with Ryan Gosling?

Well I'm not sure, I'm usually the type that discovers a show like 2 years after it's over (Breaking Bad), I download everything from like Pirate Bay so I don't know all the netflix shows coming out. Now as I'm typing I realize that Jonah Ray is about the guy with Asperger's, I will watch it. Have you ever seen Lars and the Real Girl with Ryan Gosling?

Oh, no, Jonah Ray is a comedian, who was chosen to be the new Joel/Mike for a Netflix MST3K revival! Should start up in 2017. :grinning:

(I think I may have seen part of Lars and the Real Girl. Not sure why I didn't finish watching it; I love RG.)

Isn't there a show about a guy with Asperger's coming out on like Netflix, maybe HBO? I think I read articles about it on Yahoo.

I do very much so. I'm not so good at telling what joke would make a person laugh; my dad is quite hard to tell I find. But I've got a very sarcastic sense of humour and I do like to make people laugh. My cousin who also has Asperger's is the same.

Humor is like art, everyone has a different taste. For example, I do not understand the humor of Chevy Chase, the Three Stooges, etc; slapstick comedy is lost one me, but I have some friends that think they're comedic geniuses.

On the other hand, I love the humor of Don Rickles, Robin Williams, the older Steve Martin material, etc. There are some memes on the internet that crack me up and others that make no sense no matter how hard I try to understand them.

Television sitcoms is another example. I've tried to watch "Big Bang Theory," which I'm sure is popular among many here. I just don't understand the humor or appeal. I do, however, enjoy reruns of "All In the Family."

Aspies have a sense of humor, but I think it's a matter of taste and understanding the particular genre.

Still, if you want to experience something really funny, then you should see me at the beach.:D
Jerry Seinfeld is a comedian who happens to be autistic. I think talents range.

I've been told I have a wicked dry sense of humor. I don't really know. I also have a self deprecating sense of humor.

New Threads

Top Bottom