• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do Aspies Have A Sense of Humor?

I do but I don't 'get' jokes where the person is lying about something, as a joke. Like if someone jokes that they are a criminal or something I will believe them. I find random, off the wall humour really funny, particularly visual humour, an example is the trend for people sticking googly eyes over people's real eyes on ads in London, I just fall over laughing when I see this.

Yes I take things literally many times as well, and physical humor is always great stuff

1472745786716.jpg

I have a sense of humor. I can tell and get jokes that are based on puns, exaggerations & other absurdities. I can tell (but not always get) deadpan humor. Sometimes the latter is just delayed...
idea.gif

I have a great sense of humour. I think memes and the ones posted on here are somewhat subjective. They may be funny to the right audience but you need to share a common opinion on the subject/topic to find it funny.

For example this one...

a7aa0a546d65e304b1aea5d76a674a11.jpg

I find funny, because I've owned a cat and used it as a sounding board for my problems while it looks at me with disinterest.

This one...

32422db10be4638927345cbf38f7acaa.jpg

I don't find funny because I actually like seeing pictures of food for inspiration.

These ones...

f6a123f9dd8431f226a9bfa0712667a8.jpg

aa07bd564890ea29723e4998be7e580b.jpg

d7a9ef20eaf5383e018c9bcf7c647ba8.jpg

I don't get because I don't know who Sarah McLachlan is or what the Ottoman empire has to do with dating. And the Jack one is just weird.

I like very inoffensive, sitcom style humour; one-liners; news/topical satire; and clever humour. I like it when it's natural but I'm not a massive fan of forced humour when someone is try to be funny or they border on offensive/rude.

I can be very sarcastic (and often come across as sarcastic even when I'm not - my friends say I'm a "Sheldon") but I don't always get sarcasm in others if it's too subtle or rude.

I love geek humour though, again if it's something relating to a subject I'm interested in. If it's a Game of Thrones reference then I won't get it. But if it's something like...

3300aa288ecfe55d31fdb1235bf733fc.jpg

2870190802939265ef86007ebc11f4de.jpg

ab2a4a861378ff3c01733ff86a21228a.jpg

53639f6598f6fcebb52d1e43bb114d2f.jpg

Then I think it's hilarious!

I have a great sense of humour. I think memes and the ones posted on here are somewhat subjective. They may be funny to the right audience but you need to share a common opinion on the subject/topic to find it funny.

For example this one...

a7aa0a546d65e304b1aea5d76a674a11.jpg

I find funny, because I've owned a cat and used it as a sounding board for my problems while it looks at me with disinterest.

This one...

32422db10be4638927345cbf38f7acaa.jpg

I don't find funny because I actually like seeing pictures of food for inspiration.

These ones...

f6a123f9dd8431f226a9bfa0712667a8.jpg

aa07bd564890ea29723e4998be7e580b.jpg

d7a9ef20eaf5383e018c9bcf7c647ba8.jpg

I don't get because I don't know who Sarah McLachlan is or what the Ottoman empire has to do with dating. And the Jack one is just weird.

I like very inoffensive, sitcom style humour; one-liners; news/topical satire; and clever humour. I like it when it's natural but I'm not a massive fan of forced humour when someone is try to be funny or they border on offensive/rude.

I can be very sarcastic (and often come across as sarcastic even when I'm not - my friends say I'm a "Sheldon") but I don't always get sarcasm in others if it's too subtle or rude.

I love geek humour though, again if it's something relating to a subject I'm interested in. If it's a Game of Thrones reference then I won't get it. But if it's something like...

3300aa288ecfe55d31fdb1235bf733fc.jpg

2870190802939265ef86007ebc11f4de.jpg

ab2a4a861378ff3c01733ff86a21228a.jpg

53639f6598f6fcebb52d1e43bb114d2f.jpg

Then I think it's hilarious!

The IT ones are defintely subjective, the Ottoman Empire has nothing to do with dating hence the point that women will not be interested, the Jack one I don't see how that is strange I'm a savant so I guess it's only funny to me and the other 10% of people with Autism that are savants seeing as others with Autism get real offended when I say I love having Autism because it made me a genius.

I definitely do and I make other people laugh all the time as well (though not always intentionally). I also have a YouTube channel (Simbaholic) of Disney parodies and other fan videos, and I get comments from people saying they laughed at them.

I'm far from stupid myself and often referred to as a genius or very intelligent. I know it's probably linked to my Aspergers but I still don't find the Jack meme funny. It would be like saying "Yeah I'm good at cooking. - I'm a qualified chef!!!!!"

All jokes are subjective. I think everyone has a sense of humour, it just differs as to what we find funny. I think pets dressed as people are hilarious, yet I also have a super high IQ. :(

There are 1 0 types of people in the world.
Those who understand the binary system.
And those who do not.

Geek humor.

I appreciate all kinds of humor. Except "ha ha, just joking!" humor. I usually find that unsettling. But puns and wordplay? Favorites. Crass stand-up, parodies, absurd stuff like Young Frankenstein, black satire like Dr. Strangelove? Hooray! Shows like Drunk History can leave me in breathless hysterics. We live for MST3K/RiffTrax around here.

I even make myself laugh at the expense of my animal friends (if maybe not so much everyone around me :wink:):

6905252084_d9ee57afd7_z.jpg

(Humor accessibility maybe limited, because you'd have to know about 1) horcruxes 2) what hork is, and the propensity of cats to engaging in it 3) internet catspeak. It also helps that Elmo lived a very long life for a cat. :smileycat:)

I appreciate all kinds of humor. Except "ha ha, just joking!" humor. I usually find that unsettling. But puns and wordplay? Favorites. Crass stand-up, parodies, absurd stuff like Young Frankenstein, black satire like Dr. Strangelove? Hooray! Shows like Drunk History can leave me in breathless hysterics. We live for MST3K/RiffTrax around here.

I even make myself laugh at the expense of my animal friends (if maybe not so much everyone around me :wink:):

View attachment 27723

(Humor accessibility maybe limited, because you'd have to know about 1) horcruxes 2) what hork is, and the propensity of cats to engaging in it 3) internet catspeak. It also helps that Elmo lived a very long life for a cat. :smileycat:)

Agree with everything you just said, have all seasons and episodes of MST3K downloaded, watched Future War yesterday!

much of what passes for humor nowadays leaves me stone-cold. I do have a sense of humor but it is on the warped and cryptic side.

New Threads

Top Bottom