• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What effect is the pandemic having on your mental health?

• It is making it easier

Votes: 16 24.6%
  • It is making it harder

Votes: 49 75.4%

• Total voters
Get the impression that most aspies will avoid becoming ill, simply as a result of our lifestyles. Things I do not do:

Malls
Hospitals
Public gatherings
Large restaurants
Large grocery stores
Movies at theaters
Buses and subways

How do you not go stir-crazy? It doesn't matter how much I have to keep me entertained, it barely entertains me at all and my mind deteriorates from not getting out. When I was younger I would spend as much time out as possible because being at home gave me really bad anxiety. When I'm home there's nothing to distract me from scary, depressing thoughts and feelings.

I wash my hands more often but I'm pretty sure this doesn't stop the virus :D At one point I'll get it, it's currently spreading in my country. Because our government mishandled the situation.

Many countries have an export ban now on medical products produced in their countries (like France for example). Doctors and even hospitals here have trouble to acquire filter masks and biohazard suits and even some other medical products produced in countries with export ban. Now there's also an export ban in my country. The government tries to supply doctors and hospitals with filter masks and suits. They have increased the production for those products in my country.The price had increased tenfolds for filter masks (producer price). Some people on ebay tried to sell one filter masks for over 100€ to the regular customer. In front of the Berlin Charity a transporter with filter masks had been stolen. There are no travel bans and people from affected countries don't need to be tested if they come to my country. They only quarantine people with flu symptoms and try to make out their contact persons. Contact persons will be quarantined to.

We really need summer because the virus doesn't like hot temperatures :p

Staying out of public places, stocking up on food. Using hand sanitizer? Avoiding other people?
Washing your hands all the time?

I've not done very much that way. Yet I have bought extra food, have sanitizer, in case.

I wash my hands more often but I'm pretty sure this doesn't stop the virus :D
Regular effective handwashing can actually drastically slow the spread of a disease, resulting in far lower contagion rates and less deaths, so even if it doesn't prevent you from catching the virus you are still doing your bit to protect others.

I wonder whether putting surgical spirit in regular liquid soap would be effective as a hand sanitizer?

It wouldn't do your skin any good and probably not. You need 60-70% alcohol content as well as detergent and hand sanitisers have emollient too to soften the effects. Making your own will just likely give you a bad case of eczema!

There are warnings out there about all the social media quack remedies currently flying around. Honestly, some idiot will suggest drinking bleach next & some idiot will try it :eek: Not advisable! :confused:
Good hygiene & common sense is the best preventative.

Last edited:
We live on an 80 acre farm in the middle of nowhere.
I've got somewhere over 200 pounds of meat in the freezer (we bought half a cow from our neighbour last fall).
My root cellar is full of things I canned/preserved last year (tomatoes, plums, apricots, pickles, etc) as well as potatoes and onions and about 150lbs of whole wheat grains that I grind in a Vitamix to make my own flour for sourdough bread.
That's pretty much our usual regardless of Covid...

In light of Covid, I went to the grocery store and bought a few other things like blocks of cheese that I'll freeze, and extra butter (salted) and olive oil, and some powdered milk. Other than that, we're just staying home instead of going out to see movies and such in the city..

The run on toilet paper is ridiculous.. But I'm glad they are leaving the food for the rest of us.... lol

Interesting article in the New York Times today about how coronavirus infects humans and how important it is to wash hands with soap. The exterior of the virus is covered in lipids (fats) which is destroyed when soap hits it. Soap kills the virus.

Interesting article in the New York Times today about how coronavirus infects humans and how important it is to wash hands with soap. The exterior of the virus is covered in lipids (fats) which is destroyed when soap hits it. Soap kills the virus.

My cousin recently tried to explain this to me. That using exclusively antibacterial agents in washing hands is probably not the best way to go compared to just soap and water for at least 20 seconds.

Though admittedly it's a real challenge trying to avoid periodically touching my face until my hands are washed. But practicing all these basic preventative measures may well add up for most of us.

Not to panic, but remain vigilant about such simple measures.

I copied & pasted a chart for what hand sanitizer likely kills, Post #267
in the thread Post pictures of things organized neatly last week.

"Soap works a little differently. Instead of killing viruses and bacteria, its purpose is to lift away dirt, oil, and other dangerous agents that get on your hands. Sanitizer doesn’t remove anything: It only disinfects bacteria and viruses and can leave pesticides or spores on your hands.

Washing away the coronavirus might not sound as violent as stopping it dead in its tracks, but it’s proven to be more effective, especially for pathogens wrapped up in mucus.

“There isn’t anything where the alcohol is really better than effective hand washing,” says Preeti Malani, a medical professor focused on infectious disease at the University of Michigan."

from
Why sanitizer works, but hand washing works better

giphy.gif

Yes, I agree with most of what's been written already. My family is freaking a bit, but for me it's life as usual. I don't socialize. I avoid crowds. I rarely go out unless necessary. Do most of my shopping online. I rarely speak unless I have to, and I am also a germaphobe. I always avoid people. Combine Asperger's with having lupus, and ..... well?

I'm at a crossroads with this right now... I do think some aspects of it are being overblown, yet for some people it is a serious thing... What I'm seeing is that they want me to stop living "life", like social functions I enjoy, things in the arts scene, etc... If, come summertime, they start cancelling large events here in Calgary, I will be depressed, these are things I enjoy and even thrive on... I will go crazy if I'm essentially stuck inside doing nothing...

In case I sound too selfish (maybe I am), I am aware that I also need to be careful with people who have low immune systems, people in cancer treatment for example and other illnesses, plus the older people too

I'm just really torn right now...

I go out for two hours tonight, to a small performance, about 20 people in attendance... Apparently the world fell apart while I was out (Trump's announcement)... I'm almost afraid to wake up tomorrow morning, to see what else happens overnight... And I'm supposed to avoid close contact with people according to what they say... More of what I just posted, plus career search in the middle of all this worldwide mess, I'm a little worried... :eek: Trying not to be...

We should carry Kleenex or tissues with us everywhere. Use a tissue to touch your face and dispose of it in a lined trash can. The tissue serves as a barrier between our faces and germs present on our hands. I just put a box of Kleenex and a plastic garbage bag in each of our vehicles. I'll try to remember to scratch my nose or wipe my lips with a clean tissue when I am unable to thoroughly wash my hands.

We should carry Kleenex or tissues with us everywhere. Use a tissue to touch your face and dispose of it in a lined trash can. The tissue serves as a barrier between our faces and germs present on our hands. I just put a box of Kleenex and a plastic garbage bag in each of our vehicles. I'll try to remember to scratch my nose or wipe my lips with a clean tissue when I am unable to thoroughly wash my hands.

Yes, I put both tissues and hand sanitizer in the car. Also will be keeping a pencil with an eraser to use to punch buttons for public devices like ATMs.

And to punch elevator buttons.

ALL "public devices". Elevator buttons, climate controls, light switches, etc., etc..

Whatever the public can and does touch with their fingers, avoid direct contact with them.

"The government has recommended people wash their hands for 20 seconds to protect themselves against contracting Covid-19, or as long as it takes to sing Happy Birthday twice.

William Gibson, 17, said he wanted the public to have a wider choice."

"The Banbury and Bicester College student said he was inspired to build the site after seeing a meme about hand-washing featuring lyrics from 100 Gecs' single Money Machine, which includes the line "I feel so clean like a money machine".

He said his website allows users to create the posters immediately instead of having to copy and paste the lyrics individually onto editing software.

"It just felt so sad singing Happy Birthday to myself every time I washed my hands," he added.

Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen has so far proved the most popular choice on the website."
upload_2020-3-12_14-29-25.png

Generated on the Wash Your Lyrics site.
Wash Your Lyrics

The teen creating song lyric hand-wash NHS posters

New Threads

Top Bottom