• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

There are varied reasons for the woman being ambivalent or resisting the supposed rescue. I say supposed rescue, not referring to the specific case that was described, but in a general way, because as has been said, rescue or help has to be extensive and well planned, and to be successful, with the victim being fully on board.

Many, perhaps most, victims are not offered this. Currently, in UK, victims are often offered a hostel place away from where they know, maybe in a different parts of the country even. They may leave with nothing, and be without anyone or anything familiar. This isolates the victim, and exacerbates depression and other problems.

Women with children can't easily move into a hostel, and may be torn about doing so for all sorts of reasons. Realise that women (or men) in this situation will already be at a low ebb, with poor self esteem, depression and perhaps for some, many years of hidden abuse. In some cases they have escaped into the relationship or marriage from an abusive family, but it turns out to be no escape.

A lot of victims have been convinced by their abuser that the abuse is because they deserve it, and again, this may echo childhood experience of the victims. Their self esteem is worn down, they may be on sedative medications, or resort to self medication such as alcohol, trying to cope. What you should really be wondering, is, how do we let our society operate like this?

There are projects that are trying to build the support offered around the victim, offering them decent self contained accommodation quickly, locally, that is safe, as part of a detailed support package, this can work well.

There are also initiatives to work with abusers in long term ways, but this requires the abusers to wish to change. Many can, given the opportunity. However, there is a very serious problem of abusers who don't engage, and also of well-off, men in professional jobs who feel entitled to abuse and may be part of long-term, organised abuse of family members and others. This produces effects on the victims mental health and even their sense of a self, throughout their childhoods, where those who should most love and protect, have cruelly abused, and explained that this is due to the victims badness.

There are also situations where young women have an arranged marriage that may be to a cousin or close family member due to religious traditions, and where leaving would result in disgrace or reprisals. They may be brought from a sheltered background to another country, and their new husband may be for example, more westernised, reluctant to engage with them as a wife, having other sexual partners, while agreeing to tolerate the traditional bride, but the girl is used by the family as a servant or may be a virtual prisoner. She may see little choice, and that it is a situation she must cope with, hoping for him to change, this may lead to depression. The family may sometimes then instigate divorce citing her supposed problems, leaving her a virtual outcast.

The situation of victims of abuse isn't simple, and needs socially rooted solutions that are not left to the victims to achieve.

Thanks for that! Very informative, albeit disturbing.

"What you should really be wondering, is, how do we let our society operate like this?"
Very true.. It seems like a lot of our "solutions" revolve around victim services..
What really needs to be corrected is the behaviour of the abusers. I'm not sure how to do that, but it's obviously the root of the problem.. The cancer, if you will..

*sigh* how irritating..
I even have relatives (by marriage) that went through this.. They eventually divorced, which is good, but not before he'd spent a good number of years abusing both his wife and son.. :( He was also abused by his father when he was young.. The pattern of abusers also often passes down from one generation to the next.

I find it very frustrating when there's a problem I can't see any good solutions for.. :confused:

Yes, we need to firstly allow ourselves to be aware of the extent and depth of these issues, and then effectively challenge the perpetrators, which we can't do if we are trying to believe this isn't a big issue.

My experience has been that the depth and extent of the issues is vast compared to any significant and effective strategies and support for victims or effective legal or other safeguarding of victims. Shame on us.

They eventually divorced, which is good, but not before he'd spent a good number of years abusing both his wife and son.. :( He was also abused by his father when he was young.. The pattern of abusers also often passes down from one generation to the next.

A lot of times people who are raised in abusive households continue the abuse with their offspring because they genuinely believe it's the right way to raise children.

I can speak for myself here, as I was raised in an abusive household and I'm almost 32 years old and just now realizing just how wrong and disturbing some of the stuff I thought was normal is (usually I learn this by saying something horrifying casually at the dinner table and seeing the looks on my companions' faces in response to what I thought was an amusing anecdote.)

Fortunately I have no desire for children, I'm certain I would screw that up! :eek:

I've seen in the US especially there's a strong cultural current of a) "I got the belt as a child and I turned out fine!" (no, you didn't, you turned out to be someone who thinks it's a good thing to hit children with belts and that's definitely NOT 'fine'.) or b) "The problem with society is that people don't hit their kids enough. There's no discipline these days!!!" Both of these sentiments are cringeworthy at best, but child abuse is strongly ingrained in American culture (and though that's starting to change with the younger generations, it's not changing without resistance from the older generations.)

I think people either a) genuinely believe it's right and proper to beat the crap out of your kids or b) can't admit to themselves that their own parents did wrong so they convince themselves that it's right and proper even if deep down they have doubts. And that's just "garden variety" abuse (I mean "corporal punishment") - the more messed up stuff that people come into adulthood having been socialized to believe is normal is even worse.

I can clearly see the interpretation of the husband that so many people have been doing. It is not the only way to interpret that husband, though. I find the average reaction in this thread slightly overreacting simply because we do not know. We have too little info to know, really.

The original poster hasn't visited these forums since January 11th.

I can clearly see the interpretation of the husband that so many people have been doing. It is not the only way to interpret that husband, though. I find the average reaction in this thread slightly overreacting simply because we do not know. We have too little info to know, really.

Clearly the things the husband was saying seem to be grooming her for further abuse. I recognized this immedately, l also come with solid personal experience- l was subjected to incredible and very long gaslighting to the point l was sick every day, my daughter was also subjected. The posters husband was emotionally abusive from what she was saying. Another poster also saw It.

I find the average reaction in this thread slightly overreacting simply because we do not know.

On a forum, we don't really know anything. We just post responses on the basis of what we've read.

I disagree that there's been even a slight over-reaction by any of the posters. It's a sad day when abuse is minimised.

That's often the case, but we don't just post replies for the original poster. The responses can and do help other people who may find themselves in a similar situation.

What I see as an overreaction is the thread as a whole, with the number of posts. I just don't think this massive result is the way to reach out to somebody who will probably not see it the way many here have described. I believe it's called the normalisation process. I just wanted to add something with a slightly different tinge.

Anyway, I'll see if I can unfollow the thread.

There are so many abused woman on the planet, more woman have been killed in domestic abuse, that they really don't give stats on it! People can't comprend dosmetic abuse, it is an issue.

I would be your friend! Most women will not be mine.

I have some similar sensitivities and sensory issues.
My husband has autism, so he’s even more sensitive than me. I don’t share that part of your experience.

but, I have lived outside the US, and I do have a weeeeeealth of knowledge on the rigid mind frame of American NTs!

New Threads

Top Bottom