• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sensitive Topic aspergers backlash?

Tarragon

V.I.P Member
Here's an article about that shooting in America, and how - inevitably - people are saying negative things towards aspergers.

Amid reports from neighbors and classmates that the gunman in the shooting rampage in, Newtown, Conn., had an autism variant known as Asperger syndrome, adults with the condition and parents of children with the diagnosis are fighting what they fear may be a growing impression that it is associated with premeditated violence.

Individuals with autism spectrum disorders, who are often bullied in school and in the workplace, frequently do suffer from depression, anxiety and suicidal thoughts. A divorce mediator who met with the parents of Adam Lanza, the gunman, during their divorce told The Associated Press that the couple had said that their son?s condition had been diagnosed as Asperger syndrome.

But experts say there is no evidence that they are more likely than any other group to commit violent crimes.

?Aggression in autism spectrum disorders is almost never directed to people outside the family or immediate caregivers, is almost never planned, and almost never involves weapons,? said Dr. Catherine Lord, director of the Center for Autism and the Developing Brain at NewYork-Presbyterian hospital. ?Each of these aspects of the current case is more common in other populations than autism.?

Dr. Lord said that in an unpublished review of data tracking several hundred adults with autism over at least the past five years, she and fellow researchers had found no use of weapons. Among more than 1,000 older children and adolescents in that study, only 2 percent were reported by parents to have used an implement aggressively toward a nonfamily member ? fewer than in a control group. That finding was repeated in another set of data that she analyzed over the weekend at the request of The New York Times.

More on this found here: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/18/health/fearing-a-stigma-for-people-with-autism.html?_r=1&

Maybe, just maybe, allowing 'weapons of mass destruction' (to coin a phrase here) into a general population is just asking for trouble. Dunno, just throwing it out there....

Last edited by a moderator:
A parent an aspie elementary school student posted on a facebook aspie support page, that he son was expelled from his private school. They had no disciplinary problems with him, and he got very good grades. The school said that the couldn't take the risk, and that other parents were worried.

A parent an aspie elementary school student posted on a facebook aspie support page, that he son was expelled from his private school. They had no disciplinary problems with him, and he got very good grades. The school said that the couldn't take the risk, and that other parents were worried.

That's just plain ignorance. I hope each and every parental the school doesn't own a gun, or they would not only be stupid but also hypocritical! I hope the school gets sued! Why are parent so dumb??!!

Last edited:
Well, it's witch hunting season again! Grab your torches & your pitch-forks. Look on this forum at how measured & reasonable the responses to the horror have been on this forum full of Aspies. WE are supposed to be the paranoid ones with the black & white thinking & the fixed obsessions. We are approaching this in a more reasoned way: examining the pertinent issues & contributing factors & not rushing to judgement. Where is all that NT sanity?

I'm glad now that I never got a formal dx on paper as a teacher. An known Aspie teacher would be under constant & unwarranted supervision.

I can't even begin to express my thoughts on this, coz if i did, it would be a non stop torrent of abuse for those lacking in intelligence.

@LYTM: You can always put it in a blog; many of us haunt the blogs section regularly. Using the madcap logic that seems to be current in mainstream society, we ought to lock up every young white male between ages 17-24 who loves video games, is a little awkward, is highly intelligent & keeps to himself. Let's lock up all the nerds & geeks & anyone whose IQ surpasses 100.

The talking heads on CNN said that they would be searching for 'signs of Asperger's syndrome' during the autopsy. What the heck are they talking aout: do they expect to find a tiny photo of Dr.Asperger? A collection of Star Trek figurines he accidentally swallowed? Maybe they'll discover that he ate the same thing for lunch every day for the past decade & other useful information.

The talking heads on CNN said that they would be searching for 'signs of Asperger's syndrome' during the autopsy. What the heck are they talking aout: do they expect to find a tiny photo of Dr.Asperger? A collection of Star Trek figurines he accidentally swallowed? Maybe they'll discover that he ate the same thing for lunch every day for the past decade & other useful information.

If anything, I think they hope to find physical proof of neurological rewiring. Which to be honest, is something I don't know they have found so far in general. But now they have someone who was clearly diagnosed and they have the options to do autopsy legally.

@LYTM: You can always put it in a blog; many of us haunt the blogs section regularly. Using the madcap logic that seems to be current in mainstream society, we ought to lock up every young white male between ages 17-24 who loves video games, is a little awkward, is highly intelligent & keeps to himself. Let's lock up all the nerds & geeks & anyone whose IQ surpasses 100.

LOLZ! I love you so much man ahahahaha "talking heads" Brilliant hahaha.

Typical fecking news casters, no intelligence bellends!.

Sometimes I wonder what basis CNN uses for hiring these people. With rare exceptions, the women all look like beauty pageant contestants & some of the guys seem to have no qualifications whatsoever. they keep harping on the fact that he had Asperger's. the fact that he had ready access to an arsenal of lethal weapons that Rambo would admire seems to have slipped beneath their radar. Now, they're asking poor beleaguered Dr.Sanjay Gupta whether or not the 'answer' as to why he did this will appear in his DNA. RIGHT!!! They'll unwind & separate a double helix & it'll say in itty bitty letters:"I'm not even sure why the heck I did this!" or "the devil *or god* told me to" or "I'm no longer an insignificant loser!"

Every CNN media wh*&e is out in full force: Dr. Phil popped in, Dr. OZ & Dr.Drew Carey also chimed in. Then, along moseyed Dr. Deepak Chopra. It is worth noting that not one of these Drs ever even met Lanza & not one is an expert in Asperger's syndrome (that will soon cease to exist!). Where's Dr. Evil & Dr.Seuss or Ronald MacDonald? At least this last guy would be doling out burgers! Here's the short version of what they all had to say: "Guns are dangerous, the guy was probably nuts & Americans need to stop shooting each other up like Swiss cheese."

If anything, I think they hope to find physical proof of neurological rewiring. Which to be honest, is something I don't know they have found so far in general. But now they have someone who was clearly diagnosed and they have the options to do autopsy legally.

At least one study found we had smaller amygdalas. I'm sure it's not diagnostic though.

@Soup, waiting for Dr. Pepper

Fellow aspies, I have found some evidence that aspergers had nothing to do with this shooting spree. Here's a couple of news articles which clearly demonstrates that the mass population of America is stark, raving, mad. I wish I was being flippant... :(

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/22/us/nra-calls-for-armed-guards-at-schools.html

Sandy Hook massacre: Americans stripping gun-shop shelves bare ahead of potential new federal ban - World news, News - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Here some of my favourite insane quotes:

"It is a sad tradition in America that each mass shooting is followed by a surge in gun sales, in part because people calculate they need more firepower to protect themselves. That explains why the days since last Friday have also seen a surge in sales of special backpacks for school children lined with bullet-proof material. Their manufacturers allege they work well as shields in classroom firefights."

.."the National Rifle Association on Friday called for a program to arm and train guards in schools as the best way to protect children from gun violence. The group blamed video games, the news media and lax law enforcement ? but not guns ? for a recent rash of mass shootings."

oh my sweet @@@&?&@ng Jesus!* A gun won't get up and shoot people that's true, but it's missing the whole ???@@&&?ing point isn't it?!

Children shouldn't be allowed to play with guns. The mass population of America are behaving like children. How come its such a big political hot potato to say to Americans "Grow up, get another hobby"!???!!!!!

*and I'm not even religious!!

@ Tarragon: Unvbelievable! I've been reading one kooky article after another. The bullet-proof back packs are a hoot! They wouldn't even block a bullet from the rifle the shooter used. Also, can you imagine a roomful of 20 kids with a shooter in the doorway trying to run to their lockers or peg in the corridor (past the shooter), grab their magic back pack & hold it up to cover their faces & chests?!? Even if the backpack were hanging off the back of their chair or sitting on the floor right beside them, by the time they even thought, in their panic, to reach for it, the entire event would be over with.

I think people are panicked & are scrambling for something easy that'll give them a false sense of security. Right now, even with this shooting, elementary schools remain one of the safest places in all America. Statistically, kids are safer from gunfire in school than they are at home with their nut-job armed to the teeth hothead parents!

Even with an armed guard posted near the school's main entrance, a kook could wait until the kids are all running wild in the yard at recess, pick them off from a distance & get away in the ensuing panic.

Another thing they're not considering is what I call the 'barking mad factor'. While the armed teacher or principal or whomever feel safe because they're armed like Dirty Harry, the shooter is nuts & has probably been planning & scheming for months. He has re-played & rehearsed his plan. He's written his whack-job manifesto (ensuring that the script is minuscule, that the lines are single-spaced & that it is 50 pages long,true to kook conventions). He knows where the armed personnel are likely to be at any given time & knows when the particularly vulnerable times are for his target environment so he can catch them off guard. He's likely wearing a bullet-proof vest (that he stored carefully in his bullet proof backpack that he bought from the same website as all those idiot parents who bought bullet proof backpack liners). He is focused & determined: the armed janitor has a mop in one hand & a bucket in the other. The armed teacher has her back to the door, a pointer in one hand & she's explaining something to her class.

Another thought: look at the history of school shootings: sometimes it is a staff member whom nobody realizes has a bunch of loose screws in his or her head. Could be one of the kids' parents. Could be the custodian! I would NEVER assume that because someone is a teacher or school staff-member that he is to be trusted with a firearm wandering around in a school.

There is a gun culture in the country along with a reckless macho man 'take the law into your own hands' mentality. Despite their claims of being a free country, people are afraid of each other & live barricaded behind costly (& ineffective) home security systems & are armed to the teeth. Something is very wrong with this picture.

First of all, I want to say I am not anti-gun. I know a lot of people around here who hunt or recreationally shoot and I don't have a problem with that.

What I do have a problem is that all of a sudden people seem to be getting on the gotta have a gun for self-defense bandwagon. Well, the problem with a gun is that for it to be effective you must have it loaded and easily accessible 24/7. The "bad guys" are not going to give you advance notice so you can run to the gun safe, unlock it, load the gun and be ready for them at the front door. The same with open or concealed carry. That gun must be ready to use at all times. Obviously that is not going to go over in a classroom full of kids.

Furthermore, guns are only useful in limited situations. If you want to know where I think this gun paranoia is headed, look at Israel. They don't have mass shootings, they have mass bombings. Those who support arming teachers fail to consider that those prone to violence might turn to bombs instead of running the risk of facing an armed teacher. The worse school massacre in the United States took place in Bath, Michigan, in 1927 and involved a bomb placed by a disgruntled janitor. Tell me what gun could have prevented that?

Soup - You are (as always) awesome!

I'm glad I have y'all to watch cable news so I don't have to. :wink:

@ WYV: Merci!

@ Compass: What, pray tell, was the janitor disgruntled about: Did they change brands of floor polish on him?

In Montreal, at Concordia University, it was a professor who went in blasting at a rival he believed had stolen some of his work (probably some pot-boiler about bubbling fluids suspended in other bubbling fluids...that nobody would ever read unless they were forced to...or as a sick form of masochism...) In a US school too some female genius science professor blasted away. I've had some pretty off the wall teachers now & I know a female kindergarten teacher who is living a double life I cannot begin to describe & who is right out of her mind. Imagine arming such a person??I wouldn't trust her with a MacDonald's drinking straw & a pile of wadded up little paper balls!

I believe that at times like this it is important for Aspies to "come out of the closet" and illustrate that Aspies are not threatening nor violent. When someone says something about Aspergers that demonstrates ignorance, I feel it is our responsibility to speak up. We, as Aspie adults, are the only ones who can advocate for ourselves in an articulate way. Aspie children often cannot, and we adults are living proof that Aspies can function in the world just as other people do. Silence only allows the ignorance to flourish.

Soup--the 1927 Bath school massacre was caused by a school board member (not a janitor as I incorrectly reported) named Andrew Kehoe. His motive was revenge. His farm had been foreclosed upon because he was unable to pay the increase in school taxes. So he set bombs underneath the schoolhouse timed to go off when class was in session. I forget the exact number that was killed but it was at least twice as many as in Connecticut.

@ Compass: Thanks for the correction. With the tanked economy, there are a disturbing number of people in Kehoe's position!

I believe that at times like this it is important for Aspies to "come out of the closet" and illustrate that Aspies are not threatening nor violent. When someone says something about Aspergers that demonstrates ignorance, I feel it is our responsibility to speak up. We, as Aspie adults, are the only ones who can advocate for ourselves in an articulate way. Aspie children often cannot, and we adults are living proof that Aspies can function in the world just as other people do. Silence only allows the ignorance to flourish.

In many ways I agree with you Bay but there are reasons why I have decided not to inform my employer and colleagues about my AS diagnosis. I don't want them to limit me in my job or to view me as different to (less capable than) them. Perhaps I shouldn't be so worried - what do you guys think?

In many ways I agree with you Bay but there are reasons why I have decided not to inform my employer and colleagues about my AS diagnosis. I don't want them to limit me in my job or to view me as different to (less capable than) them. Perhaps I shouldn't be so worried - what do you guys think?
I wrote my above post thinking about social situations rather than employment, really. When it comes to the workplace, we all must choose our own path and that can often be difficult to determine. One or two of my colleagues know (or, sort of know), but I have not told my boss. However, I have decided that, should she ask me to take on responsibilities that will inevitably clash with my Aspergers, I will have to decline and will explain to her why. This was never supposed to be a full time position and they need me at the moment, so I don't believe that there will be much in the way of fallout. And who knows, she may be able to see my value in spite of it.

New Threads

Top Bottom