• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Question of clinical term restricted interests and repetitive behavior

Oz67

What are the positives I can use to express my symptoms of Autism Spectrum Disorder positively without being too clinical?

What are the positives I can use to express my symptoms of Autism Spectrum Disorder positively without being too clinical?
Maybe looking at this would give you some ideas?

Maybe looking at this would give you some ideas?

Thanks ;)

My brain works different in the way it sees the world and interacts with others. I tend to be more ... You can insert your positives.

From my own point of view, such a question is quite dependent upon the person you are addressing in real time. In essence, no matter how eloquently you may believe you can explain your autism to others, that more likely than not they will simply not understand in whole or in part.

Considerations of avoiding or limiting a clinical explanation won't matter in the big picture, as you ultimately have little to no control over how people may interpret what you are saying.

That there are a very few who will want to understand and succeed. A few more who will want to understand and fail. Leaving the vast majority to not bother, defaulting to insisting or demanding that you comply with their thought process.

As a 1.8% neurological minority (per CDC estimates) there is no universally successful method of attempting to explain autism to non-autistic persons. No matter how close they may be- whether siblings, relative or friends and coworkers.

Which leaves us with maintaining a "need-to-know" basis only when it comes to explaining who- and what we are neurologically speaking. Not likely to be what the OP wants to hear, but it's in his own best interest and so many others to first consider such things before ever attempting to explain their autism to much of anyone. No matter how badly they may want to.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom