• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Pros and cons of teaching at university

vergil96

So someone I know who works as a university teacher has said that being a university professor is a good job for neurodivergent people. Do you have an idea what specifically this person was referring to? She was contrasting an average corporate job with teaching, and there, I see the point, that there is no individual approach to people's needs in large companies. However, I'm not sure if teaching at a university is optimal for a neurodivergent person, at least for some. The little teaching I've done so far burns me out socially. Maybe it's that I mask subconsciously, but I find it overstimulating, I think, to have to communicate so intensely, with so many people. Then I'm also nervous about some interactions, I'm the kind of person that someone says something and it makes a big impression on me, my empathy is intense and I find it emotionally draining to be exposed to intense feelings and so many people with feelings. If something is wrong, I will not just quickly get over it like many people. Some students, who seem neurodivergent to me, seem to also be nervous about my neurodivergence, namely somewhat abnormal eye contact, hearing issues and perhaps my "oblivious" facial expression as well (can't fake it even if I try). Maybe I shouldn't care? There are many neurodivergent professors, indeed. But it also seems to me like they are clearly autistic, they make zero eye contact, stare at walls, period, and I'm falling somewhere in the uncanny valley, that I can't quite fake NT nonverbal cues, but the issue isn't clear enough, so people wonder and have their mistaken theories such as me being shy, afraid, aloof or angry. My other concern are unpredictable schedules unless your position in the hierarchy is high. The schedules are currently sucking the life out of me while still being at university. Otherwise, I find teaching fun and fulfilling, and especially the scientific research would be something I would be looking forward to. But it's quite tiring for me.

In the simplest terms IMO a tenured professor gets to infodump five days a week, get paid for it and cannot be so easily subjugated by the administration.

With a student-teacher relationship that potentially operates on a level of despotism. Where NT students must figure out how to comply with their ND professor- "or else". Where you need not be concerned about what students think of you.

At least that was my observation with higher education. ;)

But getting to the status of tenure....easier said than done.

When I think about such things, I always recall my Russian History professor. Where if you wanted to get the highest grade, all you had to do was to emphasize the significance of Pyotr Stolypin. The Czar's third prime minister who was poised to bring Russia's ailing and antiquated economy into the 20th century. Which might have changed the course of history for both Russia and the world. Cut short by an assassin's bullet in 1911.

Oh...and one other thing. To properly spell the word "assassin". Otherwise you'll get dinged for it. I still recall his very British accent citing, "There are four asses in the word assassin. Try not to forget it!" :p

Last edited:
I hate to admit it, but l do love any info dump or info-bomb position. Because you simply are in your finest form. But you could just consider this position, write the pros and cons on your computer or notebook, and just think is it worth the all mighty dollar, including all the benefits.

It was often suggested to me that I should teach history at one. Not good with people talk though.

I did some university teaching and I loved it. I loved watching students struggle with something and then “get it’ with my help.

I mostly taught in community colleges, courses that were tough for that level, such as Anatomy and Physiology and Microbiology, but were required for nursing degrees.

It’s a clearly defined role. I do well when I understand the role I play. I do well when I am supposed to be helping others.

I only worked as an adjunct professor and never was able to get into a tenure track position.

In retrospect, I would not have done well because although I loved the teaching, the university politics were cutthroat. I could not have coped with that.

Just keep in mind the brighter the people the more cut throat the politics, noticed this with my former (deceased) close friend who worked in a university physics lab.

Just keep in mind the brighter the people the more cut throat the politics, noticed this with my former (deceased) close friend who worked in a university physics lab.
And perhaps the cliched struggle and pressure in having to publish, or perish. Where your peers definitely become your competitors.

Yeah, I have already been through some of the competitive atmosphere. I've been doing a bit of the scientific research at the university already.

So someone I know who works as a university teacher has said that being a university professor is a good job for neurodivergent people. Do you have an idea what specifically this person was referring to? She was contrasting an average corporate job with teaching, and there, I see the point, that there is no individual approach to people's needs in large companies. However, I'm not sure if teaching at a university is optimal for a neurodivergent person, at least for some. The little teaching I've done so far burns me out socially. Maybe it's that I mask subconsciously, but I find it overstimulating, I think, to have to communicate so intensely, with so many people. Then I'm also nervous about some interactions, I'm the kind of person that someone says something and it makes a big impression on me, my empathy is intense and I find it emotionally draining to be exposed to intense feelings and so many people with feelings. If something is wrong, I will not just quickly get over it like many people. Some students, who seem neurodivergent to me, seem to also be nervous about my neurodivergence, namely somewhat abnormal eye contact, hearing issues and perhaps my "oblivious" facial expression as well (can't fake it even if I try). Maybe I shouldn't care? There are many neurodivergent professors, indeed. But it also seems to me like they are clearly autistic, they make zero eye contact, stare at walls, period, and I'm falling somewhere in the uncanny valley, that I can't quite fake NT nonverbal cues, but the issue isn't clear enough, so people wonder and have their mistaken theories such as me being shy, afraid, aloof or angry. My other concern are unpredictable schedules unless your position in the hierarchy is high. The schedules are currently sucking the life out of me while still being at university. Otherwise, I find teaching fun and fulfilling, and especially the scientific research would be something I would be looking forward to. But it's quite tiring for me.
I have been a university instructor (part-time) for the better part of 35 years.

I agree with what you suggest here. I think it can be a good job for a neurodivergent person, but I would not make it a generalized statement. Case-by-case. I love teaching, and my students and other faculty members like me, as well. I always get great feedback. I'd do it for free, but I don't think I could do it every day due to the mental exhaustion component.

Yes I ran trainings and taught in both further and higher education, in the UK. I enjoyed it mostly, though some of the bad behaviour was unbelievable. There really are some deranged people, narcissistic but also, I don't think I've worked anywhere else where there were quite so many who were absolutely awful at their jobs. It was like those appointing them had no ability to choose people who would be able to run courses and teach. People often in significant positions, floated about with fictional timetables, and apparently no-one to supervise them adequately, and I Iearned to steer clear of them.

If you have rock solid colleague allies, it can go fine, and I mostly enjoyed the work. I also felt a strong sense of satisfaction from it, and felt I was good at most of the job. Maybe think about what your alternatives would be? There are always drawbacks, especially of the social kind, in any job.

I'm a professor and tenured. Academia is a very good place for people who often don't fit -- you know, the classical studious, nerdy, and on the spectrum person. I'm sure that many of my colleagues and former professors are on the spectrum, but it's always impossible to tell just by behavior.

However, not all professors do the same kind of jobs. Most people associate professor with teaching, but many professors do not teach in a classroom. Many professors do mostly research and work with graduate students on research. I only teach one class per semester, and that's because I like it. But some of my colleagues hate teaching so they just do research. I wouldn't like to teach 2 classes per semester, though, like most college professors in the US.

The other good thing about being a professor is that I don't have a boss. I don't have to ask for time off. I can stay home if I don't feel well.

The bad side is that I've had to work my butt off for many, many years to be a professor. I did sacrifice a lot, and it's a very demanding profession. A Sunday for me could be like a Wednesday because I have too many things to do. Your life is under a microscope, grants are difficult to get, the competition is intense, the funding keeps getting worse, students behave life fragile creatures made of salt, the politics can get awful, and it is difficult to find other jobs. Changing jobs for me means moving to a different state.

So, overall, great place to be on the spectrum, but once you make it and not all the time and not under all circumstances.

I've had three separate conversation with nieces and nephew over the years as they got master's degrees, none wants to continue to a Phd, all gave the same answer not worth the effort. Do better sticking to industry.

Associate Professor (retired but with adjunct post.) Read what @marc_101 said - nailed it. @Ronald Zeeman, I did 10 years in industry (applied research.) You can make better money than in academia, if you’re prepared to sell your soul. (Perhaps I exaggerate, but I found an academic career more rewarding in many ways.)

New Threads

Top Bottom