• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone else like British mysteries?

just to be clear the the Miss Fisher mysteries are Australian not British ,also it seems strange saying to an American but Columbo(1970s)not (1989-91)Peter Falks voice!is Columbo and 1970s fashion and furniture ,cars and los Angeles .

Columbo always had good guest actors to play the bad guys, too.

I suppose that depends on what one considers to be a "mystery". ;)

Here's mine:

"The Prisoner". A mini-series that remains one big mystery on multiple levels. :cool:

Last edited:
I suppose that depends on what one considers to be a "mystery". ;)

Here's mine:

"The Prisoner". One big mystery on multiple levels. :cool:

I remember that series. It was strangely weird and interesting. (Patrick Mc-something-or-other) acted in a couple of Columbo movies, too, and was a close personal friend of Peter Faulk in real life.

I remember that series. It was strangely weird and interesting. (Patrick Mc-something-or-other) acted in a couple of Columbo movies, too, and was a close personal friend of Peter Faulk in real life.
Patrick McGoohan always unnerved me,he seemed the archetype snooty British person ,not forgetting he was originally in 'the prisoner 'in the 1960s, as the titular prisoner number one

Patrick McGoohan always unnerved me,he seemed the archetype snooty British person ,not forgetting he was originally in 'the prisoner 'in the 1960s, as the titular prisoner number one

Yeah. In the last episode of "The Prisoner" ("Fallout") he moved from being "Number Six" to "Number One". So why was he only four places removed from being "the new number two"? So many questions...so few answers.

"I am not a number. I am a free man!" - Number Six.

Interesting to note that Patrick McGoohan was born in the US, moved to Ireland and pursued an acting career in England. He also played Dr. Syn in the Disney production of "The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh".

One of McGoohan's great "Smug Brit" roles from "Ice Station Zebra"

Last edited:
just to be clear the the Miss Fisher mysteries are Australian not British ,also it seems strange saying to an American but Columbo(1970s)not (1989-91)Peter Falks voice!is Columbo and 1970s fashion and furniture ,cars and los Angeles .
Yes, Miss Fisher is definitely Australian! Still love it, though.

ITV has milked the scruffy, obsessive, genius, unconventional detective inspector, who eats a terrible diet and drinks too much, sometimes wearing strange hats (Vera, Frost) after the example of Columbus till its dry and thankfully not followed by Morse/Endeavor.

Yes, Miss Fisher is definitely Australian! Still love it, though.
if you want to see British scenery you could try watching dci frost or vera ,frost is set in southern England and Vera in Northeast England where I'm from ,some of the scenery is very pretty in Vera .

Yes I really enjoy seeing the northeast as I live here :) Vera though is not as quality as other detective series for the acting I don't think. Nor do the characters develop like on Endeavour.

if you want to see British scenery you could try watching dci frost or vera ,frost is set in southern England and Vera in Northeast England where I'm from ,some of the scenery is very pretty in Vera .
I love Vera! I forgot to include it in my original list! Wow, I envy the fact that you live in such a gorgeous area. I have visited England and Scotland twice, and I love those countries so much... the weather, scenery, people, and sense of humor are all things I really appreciate!

I love Vera! I forgot to include it in my original list! Wow, I envy the fact that you live in such a gorgeous area. I have visited England and Scotland twice, and I love those countries so much... the weather, scenery, people, and sense of humor are all things I really appreciate!
I don't live in the really pretty bit I live in the burbs of the industrial bit the pretty bit is Northumberland and probably County Durham

I'm British, and I love mysteries. Have you tried Poirot? The series with David Suchet is fantastic. I also like the Brokenwood Mysteries (not British, but essentially a New Zealand Midsomer).

There's also Miss Marple, but I've never been a great fan. Silent Witness is also brilliant!
Great recommendations, thanks!

I lived in Northumberland once and loved it. It was like going back in time where the people were concerned with their neighbourliness. Back in County Durham now and not so nice.

some Americans are confused by the Australian accent and think it is British

Although I loved the series and the graphic novels it's based on, Karl Urban's cockney accent in "The Boys" is a prime example.

Karl is a kiwi yet veers between Dick Van Dyke chimernee sweep, 1950s BBC RP and Aussie throughout the episodes.

Although I loved the series and the graphic novels it's based on, Karl Urban's cockney accent in "The Boys" is a prime example.

Karl is a kiwi yet veers between Dick Van Dyke chimernee sweep, 1950s BBC RP and Aussie throughout the episodes.
i'm talking about Australians just being in America specifically working in bars in Los Angeles and they presume they are British The two series I'm talking about the actors have a very natural Australian accent it is slightly like southern England

I have a Kindle Unlimited subscription. There are a lot of British detective novels from the 30s, 40s, and 50s, on Unlimited. I'm currently working my way through the Inspector Littlejohn books by George Bellairs. Bellairs produced Littlejohn for nearly forty years. Amazon will bring up classic crime suggestions, and it's a proper rabbit hole.

I'd recommend Patricia Wentworth (Miss Silver Mysteries), and Georgette Heyer's detective books are very enjoyable. I don't think these are on Unlimited though.

With my reading speed, I get my money's worth from the subscription.

If you don't mind a series that is set before computers and mobile phones were common place, "Morse" is good.

If you don't mind a series that is set before computers and mobile phones were common place, "Morse" is good.

Morse is fantastic, as is Lewis (essentially a spin off with the supporting actor from Morse as the titular character.)

New Threads

Top Bottom