• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone else like British mysteries?

Ladybird2013

I love British mysteries- books, movies, TV shows! My favorite shows are:
  • Midsomer Murders
  • Father Brown
  • Shetland
  • Broadchurch
Anyone else like these, or can recommend others?

I have a horrible memory for titles and names, but I recall seeing a lot of British suspense films in my lifetime. Some go back to the 1930s, but there are many more that were made in the 40s, and 50s. The Americans had a lot of good suspense movies during the same time period, but I tend to favor the British creations. Perhaps it is the fact that the settings and characters were different from places and people I know. Suspense films are not the same as mysteries, but the attention grabbing factors offer a similar thrill for me. Suspense gives you the "edge of your set" fright, while the mystery keeps your attention by trying to use clues to find the culprit. Hitchcock's Dial M for Murder is a great film when you see it for the first time. Don't research the story for fear there will be a spoiler tucked in somewhere. Another good one is Five Fingers. It's a true story embellished slightly to make a more interesting series of events. There is another film by the same name produced in the 1980s I believe. The one I am referring to was produced in the 1950s or 1960s following the publication of a book written by one of the true characters in the original story. It's a spy story that took place during WWII. It has wonderful intrigue. The old Sherlock Holmes films were good, but I sometimes couldn't follow the bizarre connections used to solve the crimes.

This is all I know - sorry I can't provide more details.

• Midsomer Murders
  • Father Brown
  • Shetland
  • Broadchurch
The Lord Peter wimsey mysteries ,it's actually a series of books written by Dorothy L Sayers,there was a radio play in the 1960s by the BBC and televised in the 1980s by the BBC ,it's set in the 1920s around southern England ,you could buy the DVD or watch on YouTube maybe daily motion !
that's also 'Campion 'Alfred Campion A detective set in 1930s set in southern England televised by the BBC 1990s you might be able to watch on YouTube or buy a DVD haven't seen for years .
you could try inspector Morse set around oxford 1990s produced by ITV think you can watch it on BritBox or maybe Netflix .
sadly for me being autistic I read the father Brown books before watching the television so didn't enjoy it as much .

The Lord Peter wimsey mysteries ,it's actually a series of books written by Dorothy L Sayers,there was a radio play in the 1960s by the BBC and televised in the 1980s by the BBC ,it's set in the 1920s around southern England ,you could buy the DVD or watch on YouTube maybe daily motion !
that's also 'Campion 'Alfred Campion A detective set in 1930s set in southern England televised by the BBC 1990s you might be able to watch on YouTube or buy a DVD haven't seen for years .
you could try inspector Morse set around oxford 1990s produced by ITV think you can watch it on BritBox or maybe Netflix .
sadly for me being autistic I read the father Brown books before watching the television so didn't enjoy it as much .

Thanks for the great recommendations! I can’t wait to check them out!

I have a horrible memory for titles and names, but I recall seeing a lot of British suspense films in my lifetime. Some go back to the 1930s, but there are many more that were made in the 40s, and 50s. The Americans had a lot of good suspense movies during the same time period, but I tend to favor the British creations. Perhaps it is the fact that the settings and characters were different from places and people I know. Suspense films are not the same as mysteries, but the attention grabbing factors offer a similar thrill for me. Suspense gives you the "edge of your set" fright, while the mystery keeps your attention by trying to use clues to find the culprit. Hitchcock's Dial M for Murder is a great film when you see it for the first time. Don't research the story for fear there will be a spoiler tucked in somewhere. Another good one is Five Fingers. It's a true story embellished slightly to make a more interesting series of events. There is another film by the same name produced in the 1980s I believe. The one I am referring to was produced in the 1950s or 1960s following the publication of a book written by one of the true characters in the original story. It's a spy story that took place during WWII. It has wonderful intrigue. The old Sherlock Holmes films were good, but I sometimes couldn't follow the bizarre connections used to solve the crimes.

Thanks for the awesome recommendations- I, too, enjoy suspenseful thrillers!

I love British mysteries, but I avoid anything TV-MA, TV-14 or higher, so that excludes Broadchurch and a few other interesting looking ones.

I like to read Agatha Christie mysteries, but I never actually keep track of the characters' names or who's a suspect. I just get to the end and I'm like, "Oh cool, they caught the bad guy."

Endeavour - is a series based around Morse in his younger years.

Crime Thillers - I don't think it gets much better than Linda LaPlante's 'Prime Suspect'
or Val McDermid's 'Wire In The Blood'
(not for the faint hearted. Gorey, gritty, plenty of murder)

P.D. James, 'An unsuitable job for a woman'
Haven't watched the film based on the book.

The 39 steps 1930s possibly ?Richard hannay( Robert donat) is the titular character,green for danger (1946) starring Alastair Sim,A lot of the mysteries were made by Alfred Hitchcock

Yes! Here in Alberta we get the PBS feed from Spokane, just over the American border, and they do lots of British mystery...

My absolute favourite is Grantchester, now airing in it's final season

I have always enjoyed Foyle's War

And being a classic car geek, Phryne Fisher was also a favourite...

I'll also add another vote for Endeavour, quite dark, quite good...

Yes! Here in Alberta we get the PBS feed from Spokane, just over the American border, and they do lots of British mystery...

My absolute favourite is Grantchester, now airing in it's final season

I have always enjoyed Foyle's War

And being a classic car geek, Phryne Fisher was also a favourite...

I'll also add another vote for Endeavour, quite dark, quite good...
I love Phryne Fisher, too!

I love Phryne Fisher, too!
just to be clear the the Miss Fisher mysteries are Australian not British ,also it seems strange saying to an American but Columbo(1970s)not (1989-91)Peter Falks voice!is Columbo and 1970s fashion and furniture ,cars and los Angeles .

just to be clear the the Miss Fisher mysteries are Australian not British ,also it seems strange saying to an American but Columbo(1970s)not (1989-91)Peter Falks voice!is Columbo and 1970s fashion and furniture ,cars and los Angeles .

True... I guess I associate that show with PBS which does lots of British stuff, why I mentioned it...

Columbo you say? I love that show, because of the beat up old Peugeot 403 Cabriolet that he drives... :)

• Midsomer Murders
  • Father Brown
  • Shetland
  • Broadchurch
I don't Australian will the doctor Blake mysteries ( stopping in 1959 to 1961 stopping and then stopping in 1963 )available on BritBox in the USA and Canada , PBS has it on in different regions in the USA but it seems to not be in chronological order so you might see it starting at season three all season one it depends on then it might stop and then start again ,it's five series and one telemovie ,it stopped and then started again because the director of the ABC in Australia was against it then one of the actors was accused of a crime so it changed to a female character being a lead but it stopped again .
there's a petition to keep it going.

I'm British, and I love mysteries. Have you tried Poirot? The series with David Suchet is fantastic. I also like the Brokenwood Mysteries (not British, but essentially a New Zealand Midsomer).

There's also Miss Marple, but I've never been a great fan. Silent Witness is also brilliant!

I'm British, and I love mysteries. Have you tried Poirot? The series with David Suchet is fantastic. I also like the Brokenwood Mysteries (not British, but essentially a New Zealand Midsomer).

There's also Miss Marple, but I've never been a great fan. Silent Witness is also brilliant!

Poirot and Miss Marple are two of my favorites, too. I like all the shows mentioned in this thread. I wish they'd make some more Father Brown episodes. I never cared much for Midsomer Murders because they are too long and get bogged down in unnecessary details but I watch them anyway.

New Threads

Top Bottom