• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone else hate Halloween?

Kavigant

Good Boy
V.I.P Member
To me, it just feels like a world full of strangers constantly sending my brain signals of danger.

It feels like ugly colors, ugly masks, ugly behavior by people hiding behind ugly masks. And adults acting childish (rather than childlike, which can be wonderful), spending hundreds of dollars each year on front-yard dioramas depicting torture and mass murder. Halloween feels like a culture that no longer celebrates the transcendent and instead settles for cheap thrills from "sexy nurses" and murder houses.

My wife used to take the kids out trick-or-treating while I stayed home with the lights out and pretended to not be home.

And at office parties and the like? How is one even supposed to talk to Harvey from Accounting when he's dressed like a down-on-his-luck Captain Picard?

I've always played along because - fun! But I don't find it fun.

(P.S. - I'm not saying that Halloween should be banned or that you're a bad person if you enjoy Halloween. It just abrades my nerves.)

In the UK people aren't so bothered about Halloween. It's very rare you will see Halloween decorations outside a house. But there are some people who enjoy celebrating Halloween by throwing Halloween house parties, which is OK. Sometimes parents take their children out trick-or-treating just down their street, but the streets aren't typically packed with trick-or-treaters, and more people see Halloween as just another day than those who go that extra mile to celebrate it. Christmas is the biggest holiday here. Halloween is just something for people who are into that kind of thing celebrate.

I try to avoid going out alone on Halloween night in case I get teenagers throwing eggs at me. Probably very unlikely but if it did happen I have a fear of being targeted and I'd want to punch them, then I'd get into trouble if I did and spend the rest of my life regretting it.

I’m the opposite but I respect your opinion. You’re entitled to your opinion just like how I hold the opinion that 2020’s decade rap music is terrible

It may sound as though I was a killjoy about it all, but I rejoiced along with the kids when they would share their candy with me! I do love me some candy.

It may sound as though I was a killjoy about it all, but I rejoiced along with the kids when they would share their candy with me! I do love me some candy.
You don't have to like anything. Not liking something doesn't always make you a killjoy and it doesn't make you disrespectful either. It just makes you...human.

I understand that some people don't like Halloween, and that's okay as long as they tolerate people who do like it. I don't like Thanksgiving and New Years, but it's okay if other people like them. As long as they drink responsibly and don't get into politically heated fights or whatever.

I don't hate it but it's not something I go out of my way to make an effort for either; I don't get many trick-or-treaters where I am so I just get a multi-pack of Maltesers or a small tub of sweets so that if anyone does knock, I've at least got something on hand to give. If they don't eat it, I have it over the next few days.

When not waiting for Trick-or-treaters, I just watch some 'scary' films or 'Halloween-themed' shows/cartoons; some of which I've posted on other threads.
I think the only thing that annoys me about Halloween nowadays is people using it as an excuse to let off fireworks early instead of waiting an extra five days for November 5th ("Guy Fawkes/Bonfire" Night).

Honestly I usually just dont care.

I live in the absolute middle of nowhere, there arent going to be any kids trick-or-treating around here, simple as that. So I have no need to interact in any way. And even if some did show up, well... still no reason for me to interact. I dont answer the doorbell on any other day, so I sure wouldnt answer it on that day either.

As for the theme, ehhh. I'm a huge horror fan, so you'd think it'd resonate, but most people's idea of "horror" in media and whatnot can be summed up as "STABBY BLOOD" which just... *sigh*

So there aint much creativity there. It's just the same decorations repeated at each house.

And that's the extent of my thoughts on it really.

I think Hallowe'en night is great fun. We do not have to be serious all the time. The commercialization of the day is a problem but the same is often said of Christmas celebrations.
Harmless pranks, dressing in costumes, celebrating something, this is normal human stuff.

Personally, I'm indifferent.

It feels like ugly colors, ugly masks, ugly behavior by people hiding behind ugly masks. And adults acting childish (rather than childlike, which can be wonderful), spending hundreds of dollars each year on front-yard dioramas depicting torture and mass murder. Halloween feels like a culture that no longer celebrates the transcendent and instead settles for cheap thrills from "sexy nurses" and murder houses.

I don't recall encountering much of what you're describing. Perhaps it might be specific to where you live / work?

I've seen haunted house displays, but not anything murder related, and the few adult costumes I've seen are the usual stuff (princesses, superheroes, cartoon characters). I've never seen anyone actually wear a "sexy nurse" costume aside from in an episode of The Office.

It's cute as far as children are concerned. We put on a Halloween recital and have a costume contest. I dress as a hotdog.

To me, it just feels like a world full of strangers constantly sending my brain signals of danger.

My wife used to take the kids out trick-or-treating while I stayed home with the lights out and pretended to not be home.

And at office parties and the like? How is one even supposed to talk to Harvey from Accounting when he's dressed like a down-on-his-luck Captain Picard?

I've always played along because - fun! But I don't find it fun.

(P.S. - I'm not saying that Halloween should be banned or that you're a bad person if you enjoy Halloween. It just abrades my nerves.)
For me, Halloween is the start of the two month Social Season, in which I am unable to participate. Even though I desperately want to. I consider it a two and a half month slap to the face. It is like society is taunting and teasing me, "Look at all we are doing! Friendship, parties, socializing, romance, happiness, and you can't join in. All you can do is watch from the outside." Last year, for the first time in many years, I was able to get through it without antidepressants (with the support of members here, just knowing you were present helped tremendously), but it was not pretty. I am starting the antidepressants this weekend.

I hate all holidays

Same here mostly. Well, sort of.

Most holidays I simply dont even notice. But then there's the 4th of July. THAT, I hate. It's the fireworks, you see, and the drunken morons that are usually everywhere on that day.

We dont get trick-or-treaters in this area, but we DO get extremely drunken drivers going like 80-90 MPH on the one big road here... again, middle of absolute nowhere, so you get a lot of idiot drivers out here making fools of themselves because they think nobody else is around to catch them.

I don't recall encountering much of what you're describing. Perhaps it might be specific to where you live / work?
I live in a more suburban area outside of a major metropolitan area in the U.S.
Whole yards are made up as slaughterhouse dioramas with bloody skeletons.
I grew up on the brutal Hollywood horror movies of the 1970's (which I loved), but still find it unsettling to see in my neighborhood.

A customer had a huge collection of hallowe'en products in his home. He particularly liked the handcrafted German clay ornaments mostly from the 1920s. I learned that Hallowe'en was considerably different in the US back then- it was mostly adult parties and not for kiddies. Those ornaments were pretty scary looking. Even during my lifetime I've noticed that the ornaments have continuously gotten more cheerful-looking.
As a child, I really dug hallowe'en. When I was 8, my brother who was REALLY into the brand new OS Star Trek, put on a full-out Star Trek bridge replication in our entryway. He was Spock, I was Kirk, and his friends filled out some of the other officers. My mother sewed the shirts. One of my brother's participants had a red shirt, as far as I know he is still alive.
But hallowe'en was great- lot of fun, not knowing who was who, coming home and feasting on the goodies until I passed out in a sugar coma. I feel sad for today's kids with our current environment here.

New Threads

Top Bottom