• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Your definition of NT

The way I see it - an NT is someone who is not born with a social impairment. I'm not talking about social ability. Some NTs naturally don't have good social skills. Having poor social skills and low social intelligence doesn't automatically put a person on the spectrum. However, part of what makes an NT an NT is having a conscious and/or subconscious ability to read non-verbal communication whether or not they listen to these. Gestures. Facial expressions. Social cues. And things like these. Not all people with Asperger's are able to learn these things, and that's what makes them a little bit different. NTs can, whether it comes easily to them or not. But collectively, most NTs don't struggle with eye contact, suffer with sensory issues, touch, etc. The brains of NTs do very much seem to run somewhat smoother than a non-NT brain, because what is missing in a non-NT brain is not missing in an NT brain.

Last edited:
My homework is easy tonight! Wikipedia says the autistic community invented the term.
Your homework is not that easy,I asked specifically who coined the term,not who adopted it.

Dig deeper,I'm autistic and think in facts,not hearsay.

If you consider Wikipedia to be unreliable, then you are free to comment on Wikipedia about your research fact-based findings or personal beliefs. I recommend you read the comments already posted under "neurotypical persons" on Wikipedia.

If you consider Wikipedia to be unreliable, then you are free to comment on Wikipedia about your research fact-based findings or personal beliefs. I recommend you read the comments already posted under "neurotypical persons" on Wikipedia.
Provide the link.

So sorry. I don't know how to insert a link here. Just google "neurotypical person", click on the Wikipedia link and read what is posted there. Or go straight to Wikipedia and type in "neurotypical person".

I think it's important to keep in mind that throughout history people have viewed any minority with suspicion, hostility or even hatred. Essentially anyone who is not them. Although I believe this is changing and young people seem to be less discriminatory than their parents and grandparents, there is still a tendency to be hostile to people we don't understand or relate to. If you are the majority there is no great imperative to try to understand. Unfortunately I think it will be a long time before we see the end of racism, homophobia, islamophobia, misogyny, Anti Semitism etc etc. At the end of the day it's just ignorance.

Lots of ways to answer that topic. If my therapist posed the question to me, I'd probably say "a NT is pretty much everyone who isn't me."

The whole idea of different neurotypes is completely foreign to most NTs, so while I can blend with a crowd it hardly matters because I know I'm the only one that doesn't quite fit.

Different, not broken, but being different kind of feels like being broken sometimes when I'm not "pretty much everyone who isn't me." meh.

"neurotypical" would be the volume of a 2 sigma variance around the median of the measured human neurology early developmental stages that form a Normal probability distribution when rotated through 360 degrees.

As a side note: the word "normal" in general refers to this same concept, the middle 2 sigma variance of a bell curve of a probability distribution. Statistically this encompasses roughly 67% of any given population that is sampled. This Gaussian probability distribution is named "Normal"... thus we say (knowingly or not) "such and such is normal"...with necessarily realizing what we are referencing.
Link

I copied this from Wikipedia:

Neurotypical

Neurotypical or NT, an abbreviation of neurologically typical, is a neologism originating in the autistic community as a label for people who are not on the autism spectrum. However, the term eventually became narrowed to refer to those with strictly typical neurology.
Neurotypical - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurotypical

I'm not sure about this. Being depressed is a natural reaction to life throwing a lot of s--t at you. Anxiety is as a result of not being able to cope with stresses. There is a chemical imbalance in the brain that can be affected by drugs. It is not the at the brain is wired.

CBT is an attempt at changing thinking patterns. It tries to reprogram the mind. I'm not convinced that it works so well on an autistic mind. (Hey, people really do think you a weird and avoid you, it is not just your imagination).
I was thinking more for other mental illnesses such as schizophrenia where the person can be confused with reality. Interestingly, I hear CBT is used a lot for autism. I'm not sure how the effectiveness compares when using it for autism versus mental disorders, but the fact it used makes me wonder.

I copied this from Wikipedia:

Neurotypical

Neurotypical or NT, an abbreviation of neurologically typical, is a neologism originating in the autistic community as a label for people who are not on the autism spectrum. However, the term eventually became narrowed to refer to those with strictly typical neurology.
Neurotypical - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurotypical

I fear you have misunderstood my question.
Was the person who coined that word neurotypical or neurodiverse?

I haven't been able to find the name of the specific individual(s) who created the term but it appears clear that it was coined by the autism community. The National Autism Society's website indicates the term is used within the autistic community and not within mainstream media, for whatever that's worth.

I haven't been able to find the name of the specific individual(s) who created the term but it appears clear that it was coined by the autism community. The National Autism Society's website indicates the term is used within the autistic community and not within mainstream media, for whatever that's worth.

Personally I'd be more interested in knowing exactly who actually invented the term. Not who simply uses it.

One thing for sure, people on the spectrum didn't invent terms such as autism, or Aspergers Syndrome or ASD. Someone else did- whatever you choose to call them.

Last edited:
I'd like to know who coined the term, too, but have been unable to find anything via Google other than what I have stated here.

I thought a German doctor named Asperger first identified autism in children in the 1940's, and the condition became known as Aspergers Syndrome. No idea where the word autism came from. One of the first patients identified as having autism was a man from Mississippi back in the 1940s. His family still lives in Mississippi, and his brother is a prolific writer of letters to the editors of local papers, all skewed in favor of Tea Party political stuff.

I thought a German doctor named Asperger first identified autism in children in the 1940's, and the condition became known as Aspergers Syndrome.

The term autism first was used by psychiatrist Eugen Bleuler in 1908.

Asperger's Syndrome is indicative of the work of pediatrician Dr. Hans Asperger who formally published his research in 1944 which would be much later recognized by more current professional medical protocols.

New Threads

Top Bottom