• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Your definition of NT

I'm not sure it matters in the slightest who invented the term, because prior to its invention, there was already a clear line of demarcation for a minority of the population - being labelled as autistic. Having a name to apply to all those not on the autism spectrum is hardly troublesome in any meaningful way when the line of demarcation is already there and those on one side of it already have a label. To so-called NTs, mostly unaware we even exist, let alone the label attaching to them, 'NT' is hardly on the radar, let alone a word used in anger, frustration, judgement, stereotyping, hatred, and derision.

That some of us use it in that way is perhaps nothing more than a reflection of the anger, frustration, judgement, stereotyping, hatred, and derision we receive at the hands of those who fail to understand and accept us. Certainly, while my experiences of NTs have not been so harsh, I refuse to judge those who have less positive experiences.

For me, 'NT' simply means all those who are not ASD or otherwise suffering the consequence neurological difference. NTs are not 'normal' they are simply on their own spectrum. They are not an enemy or an inferior grouping, just neurologically different. All that 'NT' means is that as the majority of humankind, they are neurologically typical, where we are atypical.

I depends on the subject of discussion.

If the discussion is a general one, about neuro diversity, NTs as a group are a useful 'grouping' to which the discussion of neuro diversity can be measured against.

A necesary general assumption within language to enable broader definition within certain terms.

Something like that.

If I'm an alien viewing wikipedia statistics about life on the planet.

The only definition I may consider is human or sentient.

Please imagine vogon hitchhikers joke here.
Off the subject - Fridgemagnetman. Bryce canyon - have you been there?

I think neurotypical is how a typical brain is supposed to function. (A textbook brain). Yes, there are always small differences, but the neurons are firing to the correct locations in the correct amounts allowing NT's to easily distinguish threats from non threats while nonNT's have synapses firing all over the place easily causing overload. I actually would love to know what it's like to have an NT brain. How can it be so easy to get through every day not having to think about and consider every little detail and be affected by every little detail. Just one day to know what that's like.

Yes, a few times. Walked down to the tower of London without a sinner in sight for the whole walk.
Why? :)
Just had to ask. I love Bryce. I love all of Utah. I lived in Moab for a short while. Utah, Wyoming and Montana are where my heart is.

Attachments

• bryce.jpg
    bryce.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 0
Just had to ask. I love Bryce. I love all of Utah. I lived in Moab for a short while. Utah, Wyoming and Montana are where my heart is.

Taken from insiration point, I think.

If you climb the steps, turn left on hit 'point' - don't. Go straight past it.
You'll end up doing great solitary walk, no-one bothers with.

Taken from insiration point, I think.

If you climb the steps, turn left on hit 'point' - don't. Go straight past it.
You'll end up doing great solitary walk, no-one bothers with.
Oh, I can't walk the trails anymore. Altitude too high and I get too short of breathe. But I would have enjoyed the solitary walk. This summer I went out west with my son and his family - mostly drove dirt trails and got to see what most the population does not. We camped in Dragon, Utah - in middle of nowhere and I loved it.

...I actually would love to know what it's like to have an NT brain. How can it be so easy to get through every day not having to think about and consider every little detail and be affected by every little detail. Just one day to know what that's like.

I was married to someone with an NT brain for many years. I still have no idea. I can say that in my experience, she travelled through her days in a very superficial way, not seeing detail and depth, and not showing any real sign of curiosity about it or the ability to observe it.

I don't know how that is possible, but sometimes I wished I could do the same!

Fully compatible with mainstream society.

"I was married to someone with an NT brain for many years. I still have no idea. I can say that in my experience, she travelled through her days in a very superficial way, not seeing detail and depth, and not showing any real sign of curiosity about it or the ability to observe it. I don't know how that is possible, but sometimes I wished I could do the same!"

I feel the same way. I've lived with NT partners (and grew up with a 'very NT' sister) and they seem to just coast through existence. It's like watching those waterboatmen insects skating along the top of a pond, barely touching the water. My sister fascinates me at times (as I do her). In some ways I envy her ability to not analyse everything or worry about the past/future. Her interactions with the world are very limited and fast, but she seems content with that. At the same time, she ignores so much detail and I feel like I have to show her things that she would otherwise miss out on. And she is usually very pleased when I point something out. But then I suppose ignorance really is bliss, as she wouldn't be innately aware she is missing out. I doubt I would miss music if I was born deaf and didn't know any different, but I can't imagine living like that now.

Last edited:
I first came across the term "Neurotypical" when I used to lurk around an old dyscalculia forum that unfortunately got shut down. Prior to that I was unaware of the label. Then I started hanging out on autism forums and learnt that the term was coined by the autistic community. I agree with some of the users above that have stated that it's just an internet term, you rarely hear it being used outside of online comment sections and forums.

Usually people either define it by;

A- Someone that isn't autistic. (I've also heard the term allistic for this).

B- Anyone that doesn't have a neurological difference (so not dyslexic, autistic, dyscalculic etc).

Sometimes this includes people that have developed a condition and weren't born with it (such as acalculia which is similar to dyscalculia except it is the result of an injury whereas dyscalculia is when you are born with it) but other times it doesn't and those people are considered neurodiverse. Depends on what definition you are basing it on.

There are plenty of terms and phrases that predominately exist on the internet and seldom in real life.

We've suspected for years that my Dad might be dyslexic, his spelling and grammar are terrible for a guy his age.

People who don't have a clinical diagnosis of anything related to mental health. People with good social skills, who are able to handle the problems life throws at them, have good executive functioning, and don't need any help or accommodations to get through their daily lives. Completely independent, self-sufficient adults, I guess.

New Threads

Top Bottom