• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

You know you are autistic if -

Confession: I liked Monk so much that I started taking on some of his tics. When I realized what I was doing, I felt pretty foolish and I stopped. Now I try to watch what behaviors I take on when I get engrossed in a book series, TV show, etc. It's so weird to even think that that's something I need to watch for.
I speak in similar ways to the characters in books I really like. Except I really like historical fiction...so sometimes I talk pretty weird

When you keep a log of all the scam and hoax calls and the times and dates they call for months. Looking for patterns, and don't answer the phone during those days of the week at those times.
I don't answer any calls from a number I don't have listed on my contact list. If it's someone wanting to talk to me they can leave a message and I'll call them back - maybe.

Confession: I liked Monk so much that I started taking on some of his tics. When I realized what I was doing, I felt pretty foolish and I stopped. Now I try to watch what behaviors I take on when I get engrossed in a book series, TV show, etc. It's so weird to even think that that's something I need to watch for.
I speak in similar ways to the characters in books I really like. Except I really like historical fiction...so sometimes I talk pretty weird
This happens with people I know in real life for me as well and it's even weirder than when it happens with TV show characters.
I'm often afraid that people might think that I try to mock them in some way because of this when I actually only (subconsciously) take on some of their behaviours.

I rather tend to take on behaviours or specific spoken phrases from people I see (be it in real life or a TV show, for example) while reading tends to influence my writing style rather than my speech and behaviour.

You understand the Simlish your Sims speak more than you do the English real people speak - and you've known English your whole life.

You understand the Simlish your Sims speak more than you do the English real people speak - and you've known English your whole life.

You know you are, if you buy Sims for your little daughter, and of course, she absloutely loves the game. She owned it preteen, and loved it when one of the Sims would burn the house down. She graduated to Pokemon after that. l thought Sims was such a neat game for my obviously Asperger or whatever gift of a daughter.

Last edited:
You've been in a state of anxiety for three days because there is a drip underneath your kitchen sink. So you remove everything, put it in boxes and wait for the plumber to come. Your kitchen is in a state of complete disarray, with stacked dishes covering one side of the table.

Your spouse cannot eat breakfast at his usual spot, so he eats on 'your side.' Which upsets him and upsets you, because he's eating in your spot and hates the change, and he drips peanut butter and or jam on your place mat. It seems as if your world is somehow upside down.

Then the plumber comes, and attempts to fix the faucet but breaks it instead on a friday afternoon. So now there are three new leaks. You then go out and buy a new faucet, but have trouble because your sink was made in the 1930's and only two manufacturers make one that fits. You eventually find one, and return home and wait for the plumber to come in two days time. All the while, there are drips and wet cupboards and disarray reigns in the kitchen.

Where I would be more afraid to deal with the plumber. I'd either find a faucet that fits, or make the one I got fit, with unconventional methods if need be. Then I would admire it forever because nobody else would have one just like that. Mechanical things don't scare me. People do.

Where I would be more afraid to deal with the plumber. I'd either find a faucet that fits, or make the one I got fit, with unconventional methods if need be. Then I would admire it forever because nobody else would have one just like that. Mechanical things don't scare me. People do.

It actually turned out really well. And the plumber showed up on time, barely spoke at all. He did the job in forty minutes. The closest I've come to doing any plumbing at all, is changing washers on faucets, clearing blocked drains and opening the clean outs to clear them. My husband usually does all the plumbing but cannot at the moment as he's recovering from an operation. For a total of about $700.00 canadian, that's three plumbers visits, have a new faucet, pvc pipes and shut off valves. The anxiety was worth the final result.

Last edited:
I feel like Phone apps are a bane on sociaty
Granted I'm from the desktop PC crowd, most phone games seem to be just Skinner box games to me.
Been there done that give me more complexity before you ring the pavlovian bell and ask me for money.

You don't get why people don't get you, like it's something wrong with them obviously. You know you are because l wasn't attracted to opposite sex in high school, l was too busy being shy. You got a computer in place of a wedding ring when you got married. You may listen to a song over and over because you really like the words/message. You think people are boring if they don't have serious passions or obessive thoughts about things they enjoy.

You think you might want a boyfriend so you go to Google to research how to find one.
And find out Amazon does not have everything.

You know you are because as a early coping skill in life, you can shut down anything and walk away from it, who needs messy feelings, in my defense, l have matured a little more.

When they do a personality assessment at work and your coworkers speculate about what type you are.

It happened to me twice this year.

Our group at work did the DiSC assessment earlier this year. When I showed up to the "show everyone your results" meeting, I was told everyone was trying to guess mine.

Now another group close to us is doing the Meyers-Briggs assessment, and someone IM'ed me saying they were trying to guess which type I am.

I guess that my personality stands out in their minds as something unique. I don't know if that's good or bad.

New Threads

Top Bottom