• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Who needs fidget spinners? I have straws.

Nervous Rex

High-functioning autistic
V.I.P Member
So I started doing this 2-3 years ago.

I got fast food one time and I kept the straw to fidget with, and I looked at it and thought, "What can you do with a straw?" After trying a few different things, I creased a straw twice, to make a squarish cylinder, and I accordion-folded it. I found I could make all sorts of shapes once I had an accordioned straw. The picture shows a few of them.

Now, any time I get a straw, I always keep it and accordion it. Sometimes I save up to make a big shape I've got planned. Sometimes I just throw them away because, once I accordion it, I'm done with it, and I need something else to fidget with.

I generally don't show people outside my family, because it probably looks really weird to do and I'm self-conscious about it. My son passed some out at school and they were in demand for about two weeks.

So, anyway, that's my show-and-tell.

Attachments

• Straw All.jpg
    Straw All.jpg
    721.7 KB · Views: 0
Wow, those are amazing indeed! Rather than a fidget spinner, I use magnets and either click them together or hold them at reversed polarity to feel the energy they create. Nothing as cool as what you are making, but they do the trick.

Rather than a fidget spinner, I use magnets and either click them together or hold them at reversed polarity to feel the energy they create.

I love magnets, too. I have about 1200 Buckyballs, small spherical magnets. Not for sale in the USA anymore, but I buy them through AliExpress. Definitely keep out of reach of all small children. I love making geometric sculptures out of them.

I also like the “Ball of Whacks”. It’s 30 wedge-shaped plastic pieces with magnets in them to let you connect them in different ways. I bought one and found a neat shape I could make with two. So I bought another one and found another shape that needed four ... and on and on and now I have 6 of them. If I talk about buying more, my daughter gives me a stern look and says, “DAA-aaaad, you can’t buy any more of those.”

I’ll never get tired of magnets.

Last edited:
Oh my gosh. I do the same. If their a straw I just have to fiddle with it. When J was on holiday I had a huge house structure over the weeks of being there.

Wow, those are amazing indeed! Rather than a fidget spinner, I use magnets and either click them together or hold them at reversed polarity to feel the energy they create. Nothing as cool as what you are making, but they do the trick.
Did you ever have them magnetic stone things. They are so satisfying.

Pens! I never realised I was such a fidget until someone pointed it out a few yers ago, but I have to have a pen or something to play with during a meeting or I can't focus on what's being said.

I got fast food one time and I kept the straw to fidget with, and I looked at it and thought, "What can you do with a straw?" After trying a few different things, I creased a straw twice, to make a squarish cylinder, and I accordion-folded it. I found I could make all sorts of shapes once I had an accordioned straw. The picture shows a few of them.

Now, any time I get a straw, I always keep it and accordion it. Sometimes I save up to make a big shape I've got planned. Sometimes I just throw them away because, once I accordion it, I'm done with it, and I need something else to fidget with.

I generally don't show people outside my family, because it probably looks really weird to do and I'm self-conscious about it. My son passed some out at school and they were in demand for about two weeks.

Inventive

OMGOSH I love this. I use straws every day, so I have a TON around. I will try to make somethig and post. This is really creative.

This is for you, Rex, because I am now investigating :)

This is for you, Rex, because I am now investigating :)

Dude. That's incredible!

I came into work today determined to be productive, and now all I can think about is whether I have one of those pencil sharpeners at home.

It's beautiful! Sort of like origami with straws.

All I ever did with straws was chew on them (well, besides drinking from them).

Sometimes when I am deep in thought, I chew on a toothpick. I don't really even know what a fidget spinner is. I am over 40 so I guess a lot of the newfangled stuff passes over me.

only problem I have I wouldn't want to touch them !they look too delicate and I Break things !

New Threads

Top Bottom