• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Who do you look like? What's your nickname?

Oh no, is that White's Tree Frog? Their jade colors are the best, and they look so good shape-wise. Good beginner frog too.

dumpty-tree-frog-australian-green-tree-frog-white-s-tree-frog_u-l-q1d3x2k0.jpg

I don't know. The caption was just 'Frog on Stick', which isn't very helpful. I like them though. We have a few different kinds wild where I live. I did have an African Dwarf Frog I rescued (from my wife's classroom) that I managed to keep almost 6 years.

Ummmm... never have had a nickname that would have stayed. sure people have suggested a few, but I have always asked them to rather use my real name.

At one workplace I was asked that what nickname I would prefer myself to be used: I said ”Optimus Prime” – and they thought that let’s stick in the real name... xD

Used to wear a red cowgirl hat all the time as a toddler, so my nickname was Any O' for awhile. Another was 'eggy' as I would only eat eggs for breakfast and pronounced the word that way. Stick, as a child because I was skinny. Pea, as in sweet pea by my father.
A friend once told me that I looked like someone called Deborah Raffin. Whomever that is.

Deborah Raffin was long careered American Actress and started Dove Audio-Book company.

raffin.jpg

I want a video of you catching one with chopsticks.

(Obviously its impressive but I won't say so outside of brackets)
I can't use chopsticks for the life of me. Whoever invented them out of wood, anyway? They best should have been invented out of a roughish-jelly something. Such as these

jelly_pencils_bag__40867.1355975916.1280.1280.JPG

I don't know. The caption was just 'Frog on Stick', which isn't very helpful. I like them though. We have a few different kinds wild where I live. I did have an African Dwarf Frog I rescued (from my wife's classroom) that I managed to keep almost 6 years.
That's too sweet. Did it smell like fish?

No, I didn't notice any smell (at least after I learned how to keep the aquarium properly cleaned). They had this funny behavior: "When stationary, the African dwarf frog has been known to float in one spot, with its limbs completely outstretched, on the surface of the water. This is normal behavior, called "burbling"." (wiki) :D When not 'Burbing' he used to sometimes stand up straight floating in the water and sing or hum. I still miss him from time to time. :( I read recently a study that said that frogs could recognize one person from another. I used to rub my finger on the glass and he would always come over and visit.

Oh they are totally aquatic btw. Live in water and just come up to breath every 10 minutes or so.

No, I didn't notice any smell (at least after I learned how to keep the aquarium properly cleaned). They had this funny behavior: "When stationary, the African dwarf frog has been known to float in one spot, with its limbs completely outstretched, on the surface of the water. This is normal behavior, called "burbling"." (wiki) :D When not 'Burbing' he used to sometimes stand up straight floating in the water and sing or hum. I still miss him from time to time. :( I read recently a study that said that frogs could recognize one person from another. I used to rub my finger on the glass and he would always come over and visit.

Oh they are totally aquatic btw. Live in water and just come up to breath every 10 minutes or so.
They hum? O; How awesome is that!

Do they sleep like dolphins, with half brain awake to get air from the surface? Or do they just sleep afloat on top of the water(burble)? Itd be a skill not to sink

670px-User-Completed-Image-Care-for-African-Dwarf-Frogs-2017.02.05-06.45.04.0.jpg

Cliiing!

Oh, right! The aquarium is the one building up bacteria if you dont know how to keep it down, and then that smells.

I'm pretty good at catching things as they fall. A quick save. But if I'm down, I'm about guaranteed to hit my head on something on the way back up.

One time I was working under the hood of the car. Wrench slipped or something and in reaction I jerked up and hit my head on the hood. Then in reaction to that I jerked down and hit my chin on the fender.

99,99% of times they see you approaching, its hard to catch them while they're sitting on something. You gotta go round the back and sneak up on the fly! Or swiftly cover them with the hand, or grab them between your fingers. It's scary if you catch them by one wing and they try to escape.
It's nearly impossible with one hand becuase the fly processes movement a lot faster than you can, and experiences time a lot slower so your hand to them just looks like a lumbering and slow object that they can easily get out of the way of. It works a lot better with two hands, because their tiny brains can only cope with one moving object at a time - if two things are coming towards them, the literally don't know which way to go and their brain gets stuck :)

My childhood nickname was Pooh or Pooh Bear, as in Winnie the Pooh. All of us kids had nicknames given to us by our parents. I've been told that I look like Vanessa Redgrave, a British actress.

BTW, I have always loved frogs. When I was about 5 years old and my little brother and I took baths together, we caught over 40 frogs (toads) from the yards and put them in the bathtub with us. My mother had quite a shock when she walked into the bathroom and found us with dozens of frogs swimming around in the tub. LOL. :p She made us take them back outside and release them. I like to collect ceramic frogs to this day.

It's nearly impossible with one hand becuase the fly processes movement a lot faster than you can, and experiences time a lot slower so your hand to them just looks like a lumbering and slow object that they can easily get out of the way of. It works a lot better with two hands, because their tiny brains can only cope with one moving object at a time - if two things are coming towards them, the literally don't know which way to go and their brain gets stuck :)
Good one. distract them with one hand!

Meaning close the door.

yes. and then later morphing into another way of saying 'shut up' or 'shut your mouth'

A group in the 70s called Five Penny Piece did a song about it.

"put wood in t' hole
and save some coal ..."

it's a touch on the chauvinistic side of a traditional 70s male bread winner with naggy wife type relationship.

Last edited:
Shut your gorilla..

shut yer kangorillapig (may have been colloquium) ?

shut yer grid.
shut yer cake 'ole
shut thee 'ole in yer doughnut.

I searched for 'shut your gorilla' and got Lewis the gorilla from Philadelphia zoo who likes to keep his hands clean.
there's me thinking keeping hands clean was a human thing :)

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom