• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What was the last thing you made?

A pulley is born

Blank round of 6061-T6 aluminum barstock:
20190402_145202.jpg

Rough OD cuts to size the blank:

Yes, that is smoke coming off the cutting oil.

20190401_211636.jpg

Rough machined outside diameters:
20190401_212648.jpg

Rough cut grooves:
20190401_214552.jpg

Semi finished grooves:
20190401_215957.jpg

After a thru hole was drilled, it was reamed to final size in order to make an accurate fit to a motor shaft:
20190402_144407.jpg

Next, a cross hole was drilled for the set screw:
20190402_144203.jpg
20190402_144211.jpg

My digital positioning readout pictured above was used to center the hole in the bore and pulley groove:
20190402_144224.jpg

After drilling, the threads were tapped for the set screw that fixes the pulley to the motor shaft:
20190402_144446.jpg

The site won't allow over 10 images to a post, so here are the final images
All front features completed:
mostly finished work.jpg

After the part was removed from the machine, the rear of the pulley was machined after fixing it to a mandrel to ensure that those surfaces remained true:
20190403_141503.jpg
20190403_141515.jpg
20190403_141554.jpg

This pulley was custom sized in order to drive my antique wood lathe I recently restored:
20190309_180012.jpg

It had to match the original to maintain correct drive belt tension on all four grooves of the original pulley:

original.jpg

Attachments

• 20190403_141438.jpg
    20190403_141438.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 0
The site won't allow over 10 images to a post, so here are the final images

Complex and precision parts. Impressive.

One question. If someone requested something like a worm gear to precise specifications, could you make such a thing as well? Just wondering...

In the coming zombie holocaust you may become a VIP. ;)

Complex and precision parts. Impressive.

One question. If someone requested something like a worm gear to precise specifications, could you make such a thing as well? Just wondering...

In the coming zombie holocaust you may become a VIP. ;)
That would be an affirmative, sir

Actually mapped out all the electrical outlets and fixtures in my old house. Then rewired one outlet (with my husband's help) that was not functioning.

It's weird how they did it in the old days. One room has two electrical outlets. The entire top floor of the house runs off one place on the panel. Eight lights on the top floor, seven outlets. Will have to rewire and put in two more dedicated outlets, the bathroom had no outlets.

Once were done, we'll get in an electrician to approve it.

Although not made recently, when I was involved in machinework, often you make items that you never see again after they are paid for.
Sometimes you do get to run across them in their final application.

Caterpiller contracted an outfit that free poured molded polyurethane items.
My part of the contract was to design and produce the mold to finish the bogey wheels with a soft compound for a track machine.

Three months after I delivered the mold, I got to snap these photos of a machine with wheels from my mold on a trailer in a truck stop.

0430090813b.jpg
0430090813a.jpg

I made a wooden folding table that I am going to use to extend my desk with. After I got the table built I noticed the table was two inches shorter than the desk so now I have got to make four, two inch tall blocks of wood and put them under the table's legs and everything should be ok.

20190417_180817.jpg
I bought these two Easter DIY figures a few weeks ago, and I just finished painting them to look like baby or chibi versions of Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck.

OK, I have to know. How do you make pizzatoast? It sounds really good.
Lol okay. You put tomato sauce on bread and then cheese on top and put it in the oven. Onions are optional. I usually just mix tomato puree with a little water and some garlic powder and black pepper to make my tomato sauce. :)

The other week I made a doll of the "real" Hobbes, but I had some orange fabric left so I decided to make a smaller doll of Hobbes as an ordinary stuffed tiger. But he's just adorable!*squeezes Hobbes Susie Derkins style*
20190422_143629.jpg

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom