• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What was the last thing you made?

I just started to work on a wig that I want to use as part of an earthquake survivor lip sync number for I feel the Earth Move by Martika that I have had inside my head for years. I found the right sized bird that I wanted to be tangled in my hair and now need some Bobby pins to hold it down some more since the clip it already had is so small. Next I need some foam board to create pieces of drywall and a fake rat and then dust the entire wig in baby powder. This is my first wig that I’m fully styling beyond using some hair gel to spike the hair or using a clip to hold up some of the hair back.

Yesterday I stir fried beef with onions, garlic, green pepper, and lots of Oyster Mushrooms I collected, and with an oyster sauce. Decided to have it over Udon.

I do a lot of dry rubs as well, but my wife wanted a sauce this time. :) I don't mind, I love to cook anything. Well, almost anything.
I have a bunch of ground venison just waiting to be mixed with italian sausage and ground veal then smoked on the grill.

I have a bunch of ground venison just waiting to be mixed with italian sausage and ground veal then smoked on the grill.
Oh yum. I don't get enough venison (I don't hunt but get gifted sometimes). My favorite chili I ever made was with venison and lamb leg.

Oh yum. I don't get enough venison (I don't hunt but get gifted sometimes). My favorite chili I ever made was with venison and lamb leg.

I like to use at least two different kinds of meat and two different textures of meat when I make chili - some ground meat and some cubed pieces of meat. I like using two kinds of beans, too, such as pinto and black beans, in chili.

I like to use at least two different kinds of meat and two different textures of meat when I make chili - some ground meat and some cubed pieces of meat. I like using two kinds of beans, too, such as pinto and black beans, in chili.
I like to use as many pepper varieties as I can find in chili. Two meats helps, I usually chop them fine (better to me than ground for chili) with a few bigger chunks. I peel the peppers (roast and peel) so the skins don't seep bitterness. And pinto/black are good choices. I sometimes use red beans as well. But never kidney beans, they are too big and mushy for me.
And I usually get one single beer for the sauce, and sometimes use a square of bakers chocolate, and I did try peanut butter once, which was interesting but not really balanced.
I'm ok with cincinati style (cinnamon and a little sweet) but prefer more burst of the peppers.

I like to use as many pepper varieties as I can find in chili. Two meats helps, I usually chop them fine (better to me than ground for chili) with a few bigger chunks. I peel the peppers (roast and peel) so the skins don't seep bitterness. And pinto/black are good choices. I sometimes use red beans as well. But never kidney beans, they are too big and mushy for me.
And I usually get one single beer for the sauce, and sometimes use a square of bakers chocolate, and I did try peanut butter once, which was interesting but not really balanced.
I'm ok with cincinati style (cinnamon and a little sweet) but prefer more burst of the peppers.

I'd love to cook with you. It sounds like we have very similar food tastes.

I'd love to cook with you. It sounds like we have very similar food tastes.
haha, it takes some getting used to sharing a kitchen with me. I don't think so much as do, and I move fast. And get irritated if something goes a little wrong, but then I fix it. Getting in my way while I'm moving can waste up to 4 seconds!!!
Anyway, LOL I can be difficult in the kitchen but it almost always works out great.
(edit) my wife sometimes cooks with me, when I'm in a good mood or we are each doing a dish concurrently. But it took about 5 years of living together before that became almost second nature, and we dance around each other well enough.

haha, it takes some getting used to sharing a kitchen with me. I don't think so much as do, and I move fast. And get irritated if something goes a little wrong, but then I fix it. Getting in my way while I'm moving can waste up to 4 seconds!!!
Anyway, LOL I can be difficult in the kitchen but it almost always works out great.
(edit) my wife sometimes cooks with me, when I'm in a good mood or we are each doing a dish concurrently. But it took abou5 years of living together before that became almost second nature, and we dance around each other well

Just like me! I don't want anyone in the kitchen with me, either, because I focus on what I'm doing and I'm fast, too. I sometimes let my husband be my sous chef. He can cut up veggies or whatever, and spatchcock chickens, peel the silver skin off ribs, and filet the fresh fish. After that, I need to left alone while I cook.

Yeah, I'll ask my wife to sous chef sometimes. And have to really hold back when she wants to cook something alone, unless she asks for help, or I know a MUCH easier way to do the task she's fumbling with. The cool thing is that she went from "ok cook" to "wow you know how to cook!" in just a few years, just observing me and half-listening to my chatter :)

@AdamG - I like to shop at ethnic food stores in my area. The Mexican food store has all kinds of dried chiles and herbs. The Asian food store has some amazing ingredients, half of which I don't even know what they are or what to do with them. It's an adventure every time I shop there.

Oh I so wish I had an Indian grocery closer than 45 minutes away. I love cooking it, and am missing a few hard to find ingredients. I substitute, and it turns out wonderful, but I always wonder.... what if I had some asafoetida? I have slowly increased my spice/seed/herb collection, and at the same time have pared it down in some areas to keep shelf space.
Anyway, I am always looking for new dishes, and new ethnic cuisines, to try out. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom