• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What kind of advantages does your ASD provide for you?

Do you feel your ASD gives you benefits?

• Total voters
I must say I had no problem interacting socially... when the other person was interested in the same things I was. This is the problem, I think :)

My peers in school were only interested in excruciatingly boring things :)

I absorb other people's emotions, which can be an advantage in specific situations (family, partners, etc) as they can't hide it from me if they are having a bad day.
I also have this quality, it can definitely be a two edged sword. The most beneficial aspect of it is that it helps me to know what my nonverbal son is either wanting or feeling more often than not. The opposite side of the spectrum is when I enter a crowded room, I don't really know how to feel, because there is so much outside influence flooding in.

I also have this quality, it can definitely be a two edged sword. The most beneficial aspect of it is that it helps me to know what my nonverbal son is either wanting or feeling more often than not. The opposite side of the spectrum is when I enter a crowded room, I don't really know how to feel, because there is so much outside influence flooding in.

Fascinating! I do this too.

I also don't see the point in wallowing in emotions... especially when the emotions are not grounded in reality. Other people seem to have far more ability to "live in denial" than I can manage.

You know, positive things? I believe for every positive there is a negative and visa versa . Just depends on how you look at the situation really. For example, my son can see things I cannot believe (like a white thread in snow) with ease, yet he can't speak, nor do many things others can do.
We may have advantages, but they arent ones nts particularly value, you know, 99% of the population? If you say to potential partners or employers you have it theres a good chance youll face a rejection as a result, we may have advantages but if there are bigger disadvantages the net benefit is still in the negative.

We may have advantages, but they arent ones nts particularly value, you know, 99% of the population? If you say to potential partners or employers you have it theres a good chance youll face a rejection as a result, we may have advantages but if there are bigger disadvantages the net benefit is still in the negative.
This thread is not about disadvantages and negativity, as I stated in the first sentence... There's plenty of other threads to spread that kind of stuff around. Please go there if you can't comply.

Hearing is too acute. I hate it. I would prefer to be stone deaf than have this acute hearing. I have a great memory, but that was taekn from me in the accident.

Here is a list of a. what htey were in the past and b. how that played out.

1. a. Super sensitive and compassinate. b. Was used agaisnst me and I was targetted and abused.

2. Fabulous memory. b. taken out by accident.

Wow, this is too painful to go on.................I will stop here.

This thread is not about disadvantages and negativity, as I stated in the first sentence... There's plenty of other threads to spread that kind of stuff around. Please go there if you can't comply.
The fact that you perceive theres plenty of negative threads on here says a lot about how you view things, im a member of this site to share my ideas and thoughts, not to 'comply' and repeat your mantras. I'll be sure to avoid your threads from now on if thats the case.

ac75 civil.png

I have very good memory and excellent hearing but my mind does tend to wonder if I get bored on some task. I love anything with computers and have been in charge in keeping them and my mom's computer running. If I don't know something I will happily google it to learn more about it.

Perhaps the autistic aspect of my brain allowed my oddness to flourish where with an NT brain it might have been smothered out a bit. Or not. It's so hard to know. I do think the ASD makes me more punctual, contentious, and fair. But again it's not like every aspie is like that. And then again I doubt there is one autism. Oh, I have no idea.

i have no known benifits from my ASD, that was natural. if i did indeed have them, it was lost at some point and i never regained it. any abilities that seems impressive for other people, are all learned abilities. as in, i spent years learning how to do this or that.

I can find flaws, or new ways of thinking, to just about everything. Though this may seem like a negative, it gains me a lot of brownie points at work. I can read a process or have an open discussion about a process and point out why things wouldn't work within that process and provide a solution. 99.9% of the time my solutions work.

I am very, very organized and analytical. Those struggling to find a way to organize something or make something work typically lean on me to help think outside the box.

I can hear things no one else can. I also see things no one else picks up on. Annoys the heck out of my husband :) Haven't found the advantage yet, but I enjoy having it.

Very logical thinking. My own emotions don't cloud my judgement, therefore can address situations unbiased, and can give good advice.

I'm extremely good at closing out the world. I can completely detach myself from a conversation happening in the same room. This helps me concentrate, which most NT's seem to listen in to everyone's conversations, where I can give you privacy and be sitting directly next to you lol

Lastly, I am unique. Though my weaknesses cause me struggles almost each day, I PRIDE myself on being unique and who I am. :)

Brutal honesty? I mean, if my mom wore makeup that made her wrinkles look prominent, don't think I won't notice."Mema, your white shirt and your gray hair makes your blue eyes pop out.".

I'm full-on visual thinking. I can see events in my mind that can happen, but probably won't . I can create vivid movies, while staring at a wall.

I lecture my mom and dad around. If they did something they weren't supposed to do\did something wrong, I'll correct them.
I'm basically my mom and dad's... mom? Or are they my children?

New Threads

Top Bottom