• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What kind of advantages does your ASD provide for you?

Do you feel your ASD gives you benefits?

• Total voters

Major Tom

Searching for ground control...
V.I.P Member
I know that ASD provides many disadvantages to people, but that isn't what this is about. I would like to know of any specific advantages you feel your ASD gives to you. (No need to share sensitive abilities or talents if you don't want to.)

For me, I have an EXCELLENT sense of hearing, which I fully use to my advantage. A good example of this is: When I was growing up and into my mid to late 20's I was a hunter (for sustenance and also to save money on meat). Anyways, one of my main quarries were ruffed grouse (like the one in my profile photo). Ruffed grouse are very well camouflaged, so often you never see them until they take flight. They do have one weakness if you have an excellent sense of hearing though. When they get nervous, they make a barely audible "pee pee pee pee" call. Most people can't hear it unless they are virtually on top of them. I contrarily could hear that call from at least 20 yards, they usually make that "pee pee pee pee" call before flight, so I almost always had an alert before they flew. This led me to be a very good grouse hunter. The excellent sense of hearing also benefitted me in other forms of hunting as well, but grouse are probably the best example. My excellent sense of hearing also allows me to name any known song within the first few notes as well.

Growing up in and amongst nature, I also learned how to interact and bond with animals (especially dogs) very well. Much of this was due to a bond created hunting together, but primarily I found out that if you approach and treat dogs (or any animal)with a certain kind of attitude and energy, they almost always respond well to it. I would describe it as a calm, confident, and firm approach. Never abusive or anything of the sort, but I have been known to put up my knee to a jumping dog, or roll them into a submissive position and hold them there, in the case of a dog trying to show dominance over me or especially children. The Aikdo side step/swim move also works well against the running jumpers too. I believe ASD allows me to have the correct energy naturally to deal with animals this way. Nobody taught me how to train a dog, just through pure interest and observation I learned.

I also have always been very interested in plants and can easily identify edible and medicinal plants in every location I have ever been to. Much of this information was taught to me by my grandmother, and also online research, and trial/ sometimes error.(Just a few rashes lol). Due to this, I can almost always find food or remedies for minor ailments. I am always learning more too.

I am a very good problem solver, there has rarely been a machine broken that I couldn't fix (with no training), those I couldn't fix, I repurposed. While my work may not be beautiful, it is always practical. It almost seems as though I naturally understand how things work. Part of this was due to being raised fairly poor, and not having the resources to pay someone to fix things for me, but mostly, I am purely interested in what makes things work.

I don't really want to write a book here or seem like a braggart, so I will stop with these 4 main qualities. If you feel like sharing some of yours, please do. It is often beneficial to look at the positive sides of a disorder that we can so often only see to be such a burden or challenge in our lives.

Thanks for reading.

My attention to detail, my ability to connect the dots, and my excellent memory are very helpful in my job as a doctor. There's more, but I'll just stick with this for now.

I learn fast, when it is logical. I also have excellent hearing and can understand how a person thinks, to the extent that I have been asked few times if I am a psychologist and if not, I should be lol

Just hearing the back ground of a song, I can tell which song it is.

I should see this as positive, but I guess I give off the impression of not being very bright, because I am a femmine woman ( I wear dresses and skirts and not trousers) and because I tend to be bubbly when I feel ok around a person and perhaps this gives off an impression of someone who is not so bright and thus, it is a shock with I talk, what I come out with.

Well, some people like my bluntness and they presume that I'm a 'cool' person who says things as they are. I myself not sure about this 'quality'...

I like that I'm able to withstand repetitive tasks, since we Aspies love routines :)

Last edited:
Advantages? What are those?
You know, positive things? I believe for every positive there is a negative and visa versa . Just depends on how you look at the situation really. For example, my son can see things I cannot believe (like a white thread in snow) with ease, yet he can't speak, nor do many things others can do.

I don't know if these are ASD traits or personality traits, but here are some positive traits that I believe I have:

I have a good memory and am good at learning languages.
I learn fast.
I'm good at spotting patterns and connections between things.
I'm very persistent.
I'm less likely to allow emotion to cloud judgement and I'm not easily influenced by others.
I'm fiercely independent.
I have an analytical and critical mind, and can form objective opinions.
I have a good eye for detail.
I have a strong sense of fairness and justice.

I don't know if these are ASD traits or personality traits, but here are some positive traits that I believe I have:

I have a good memory and am good at learning languages.
I learn fast.
I'm good at spotting patterns and connections between things.
I'm very persistent.
I'm less likely to allow emotion to cloud judgement and I'm not easily influenced by others.
I'm fiercely independent.
I have an analytical and critical mind, and can form objective opinions.
I have a good eye for detail.
I have a strong sense of fairness and justice.
You could argue these traits are either or, but I've seen commonality in quite a few people I know and have spoken to with ASD . More so than I've noticed in others. Just from the few answers to this post there's already many similarities. A few that stand out are attention to detail and spotting patterns. I also possess a few of these traits you described as well ;)

Last edited:
I value my intelligence, and I'm not sure how much that correlates with my ASD.

What Genius and Autism Have in Common

The history of chess geniuses might as well be "what Asperger's looks like" from eating famous players with food issues (one ate nothing but ice cream) to shunning social situations. "Eccentric" and "genius" are so often linked.

I always thought my "super-noticing" was because I wanted to be a novelist, but maybe it is that my senses are cranked higher, so my excellent detail detection is because of that.

I was able to handle a career in IT because I was good with computers. Yet, I can fake social things so well no one could tell I was ASD.

I say "fake" because social interaction also began to wear me out and cause fatigue, sleep disorders, and immune system dysfunction. This is an obvious disadvantage, yet I am completely unaware of it -- it "feels" normal for me to perform this way. But exhaustion is also convincing :)

It was luck that led me into a profession that let me be left alone at my computer. Where I perform very well. But I'm new at all of this and still don't know how it all adds up.

Thanks to AS, I'm a natural outside-the-box thinker.

NTs grow up learning to mimic each other and thus establishing a set of behaviors considered "normal". The same holds true for how you think and how you solve problems; everyone learns to do so in the exact same "normal" way, and hence we have "the box".

"Thinking outside the box" is simply finding alternative solutions to problems, which NTs who were in the same classrooms while be programmed to think the same way are going to be stuck in. I dunno, it's hard to describe in short-form.

NTs grow up learning to mimic each other and thus establishing a set of behaviors considered "normal". The same holds true for how you think and how you solve problems; everyone learns to do so in the exact same "normal" way, and hence we have "the box".

"Thinking outside the box" is simply finding alternative solutions to problems, which NTs who were in the same classrooms while be programmed to think the same way are going to be stuck in. I dunno, it's hard to describe in short-form.
I firmly believe this ability to "Think outside of the box" is one of the reasons I am a good problem solver. I wouldn't trade it for all the chocolate cake in the universe really.

I value my intelligence, and I'm not sure how much that correlates with my ASD.

What Genius and Autism Have in Common

The history of chess geniuses might as well be "what Asperger's looks like" from eating famous players with food issues (one ate nothing but ice cream) to shunning social situations. "Eccentric" and "genius" are so often linked.

I always thought my "super-noticing" was because I wanted to be a novelist, but maybe it is that my senses are cranked higher, so my excellent detail detection is because of that.

I was able to handle a career in IT because I was good with computers. Yet, I can fake social things so well no one could tell I was ASD.

I say "fake" because social interaction also began to wear me out and cause fatigue, sleep disorders, and immune system dysfunction. This is an obvious disadvantage, yet I am completely unaware of it -- it "feels" normal for me to perform this way. But exhaustion is also convincing :)

It was luck that led me into a profession that let me be left alone at my computer. Where I perform very well. But I'm new at all of this and still don't know how it all adds up.

I wonder how much the intelligence aspect is related to anxiety.

Being 'on' in a high state of alert 24/7 perhpas leads you to pick up a few extra things.
Ie stuck in fight or flight mode meaning you have to be aware of every single thing in order to survive... could be the yin to the intelligent yang.

Like the 'super noticing' but it may not necessarily be anxiety related.
But perhaps a certain percentage.

For me, im trying to be less anxious and i find intelligecne matters less,curiousity has dipped but happiness finds me more often (thats a new thing!)

Half a dozen of one and six of the other maybe.

Social intelligence versus 'our way' which leaves us as super intelligent fools :)

I am insanely logical
I am very good at business analytics, but not with the employee BS or the sucking up part
I can hear a pin drop in the next room, but at times this is one of my worst curses
I can think something to death and resurrect it 15 times only to come up with 15 other options
My attention to detail is off the charts
I can find a pattern in about anything that has one
I have good intelligence and even better common sense
I can remember numbers forever, but not a persons name or face for 5 minutes.
I am harder on myself than most anyone else is to me (as an adult)
I am clean, orderly, and organized,
I can study so deep I find a whole new love in the getting lost in it

Yet I cant carry out a reasonable conversation, look people in the eye, or have enough confidence to walk across a crowded room full of strangers. I feel alone even when I'm not alone, luckily I love being alone most the time - or is it just easier to live this way?

I am insanely logical
I am very good at business analytics, but not with the employee BS or the sucking up part
I can hear a pin drop in the next room, but at times this is one of my worst curses
I can think something to death and resurrect it 15 times only to come up with 15 other options

Yet I cant carry out a reasonable conversation, look people in the eye, or have enough confidence to walk across a crowded room full of strangers. I feel alone even when I'm not alone, luckily I love being alone most the time - or is it just easier to live this way?

Happy birthday. Congratulations, you got the job.

(Thought your post was a job application for some reason)

I am insanely logical

Ahh the pin drop from the next room surely can be a curse... Do you find it worse with high frequencies? For me I can't handle high pitched sounds. It seems like you have lots of good qualities though. :) As I believe we all do in our own ways. Also happy Birthday!

Ahh the pin drop from the next room surely can be a curse... Do you find it worse with high frequencies? For me I can't handle high pitched sounds. It seems like you have lots of good qualities though. :) As I believe we all do in our own ways. Also happy Birthday!

Yes High frequencies make it feel like someone has shoved a screwdriver in my head right through my ears... It hurts as in very real pain like brain freeze from ice cream but DEEP in my ears.

Similar to what others have posted above, my senses all seem to work much better than other people's (aside from my eyes, which I killed by reading too much as a child and then had to fix). I'm also very logical and can think in processes like a computer, which gives me an advantage in my career. My brain seems to be good with patterns, intricate detail, long term memory and other things (which makes up for the areas I struggle with). I also absorb other people's emotions, which can be an advantage in specific situations (family, partners, etc) as they can't hide it from me if they are having a bad day.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom