1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Featured What if I like not 'fitting in'?

Discussion in 'Friends, Family & Social Skills' started by SageRose, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Dias

Dias Active Member

Well, how to put it in to words? I never fitted in and never will. When I am in a social environment I feel completely zombie...that is how I can describe it. I must be so completely out of this reality or shut down that I am not even aware of what others think of me. Never tried to copy anyone but was also never able to be spontaneous in my ways. A zombie all my life...But I was never bullied, mocked sometimes yes, but I always thought that this happens with everyone. In fact I think people are afraid and intimidated by me:confused:
    Instinctively I have always known that it was better for me to shut up and be alone, anyway I do not like the conversations and behaviours of most people so in that sense I never tried to fit in because I just did not want to become like them.
    My issue is not and never was fitting in society, I also don't want a biological cure, what I want is to know myself, accept myself, and learn to cope with my difficulties in a way that I stop hurting myself and those around me. I also wish I could tell a joke sometimes or talk in a more humorous way to make people smile and relax around me , but I think I get to serious and scare people out:D sometimes I laugh when I am alone thinking about the reactions I provoke in people but most of the times I get angry with myself...the pressure they put on us women to be kind and always nice and feminine is really unrealistic...
    It takes me 40 minutes to write a post like this. Is it the same for you?:eek:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. BlueSky Aozora

BlueSky Aozora Member

Yes, i agree. Small talk.. Sometimes i wonder, is it just because they're talking about something that only they know & never mentioned to me before... And i wonder how do NT responds when they're in the same situation as me... I then find myself shut up & just listening because i dont know what they're talking about. I wish i could respond better.

Climbing social ladder.. Tricky! So many unspoken rules. Thank you for the reply :)

3. BlueSky Aozora

BlueSky Aozora Member

Thank you for the reply, very helpful :)
    So, it's ok if our friends are happier with others than with us.. Yeah, who cares :) Maybe they actually didnt feel bad about us, and maybe i'm just overthinking :)

So, just let it be, just accept it, stop overthinking, stop trying to please others, just be polite, and do things that we like.. Thanks :)