• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What fictional characters do you suspect of being autistic?

When I was first diagnosed, I was given a list of famous people and characters suspected of having ASD traits. Lisa Simpson, Sherlock Holmes, and Hercule Poirot where on the list.

I’d also say that Reed from Criminal Minds, Temperance Brennan from Bones are also on the list. Is also maybe a suggestion that Milo Thatch from Disney’s Atlantis seems to be too trusting and has obsession with maps and dead languages. He’s also socially awkward.

Gabriel Syme from The Man who was Thursday.

Miss Marple, the detective, is also probably on the spectrum herself.

Nodame from Nodame Cantabile. Lives in her own head, socially clueless, musically talented in a unique way.

Napoleon Dynamite
Sheldon (big bang theory)
Rudy from Rudy
Forest Gump & Bubba
gonzo "muppets"
Willy Wonka
The Kid from "Free Willy"
Pippi Longstocking
marlon "free willy"
Wallace "wallace and gromit"
Peanut characters but not sure which ones. I wanna say Shroder for some reason.
Phoebe from "friends"

Pardon the obscurity here, but these have always stuck out to me:

Barry in Punch Drunk Love
Roger Greenberg in Greenberg
Peter in Humboldt County
Sherman in Sherman's Way

Her:

BBDF236D-FDF7-4637-A8FB-1E61F92E1627.jpeg

^ this intrigued me so i Googled it. Sounds interesting and fun!
I’ve only gotten into a few chapters. Went in with no expectations But I’m liking it so far and it reminds me of Garth Nix’s Abhorsen series. I also like snarky companions, so it’s a good find. :)

What characters in books, movies, comics, etc. would you suspect of being autistic, even though they aren't directly identified as such?

Mine are:

A) Sherlock Holmes. Even in Doyle's original stories, he's identified as being impatient with others, obsessed with certain topics. He will resort to destructive actions rather than be bored.

B) Christopher, from The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, by Mark Haddon. He is not social, obsessed with certain topics, always has to know what time it is so he doesn't get "lost in time." Can't let go of a question, even though adults tell him to drop it.

C) Steris from Brandon Sanderson's Wax and Wayne books. Tells her fiance a joke about how she obsessively plans everything, then reveals that she planned that joke.

Disclaimers:
1) I know that the writers of the characters probably didn't intend these characters to be autistic. Autism wasn't even known in Doyle's time. I'm not asking what the authors meant. I'm asking what you read into them.

2) I'm sure my own biases will lead me to identify more characters as autistic than NTs will. I can live with that.

3) I'm not a doctor of autismy-ness. This discussion isn't for a formal diagnosis. It's just for fun.

[Edit: I removed my comment about Haddon stating that his character, Christopher, wasn't autistic. I misread his statement, as @catdog55616 pointed out.]
Daria

We've have several Simpson's characters suggested so far, but one that I haven't seen come up yet who checks off a number of boxes is Comic Book Guy.

We've have several Simpson's characters suggested so far, but one that I haven't seen come up yet who checks off a number of boxes is Comic Book Guy.
Eight pages in this thread, and no mention of this OBVIOUS coded stereotype?

Worst, Allegedly-Dedicated-To-An-Autistic-Userbase, Forum, Ever!

(Admit it, y'all read that in his voice.)

New Threads

Top Bottom