• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What fictional characters do you suspect of being autistic?

He has Aspergers?

The description on IMDB says, “Shaun Murphy, a young surgeon with autism and Savant syndrome, is recruited into the surgical unit of a prestigious hospital.”

As of 2013, Asperger’s Disorder falls under the Autism Spectrum Disorder umbrella, though I understand that many people diagnosed before that are more comfortable with the term Aspergers.

I don't know enough about other kinds of autism. I know a great deal about Asperger's as I was diagnosed by NHS of having it. Maybe wrongly but I thought someone with more severe autism than Asperger's couldn't be a surgeon.

I liked how they never came out and made a point of saying she was in the movie, but it was quite obvious to me, especially when she said just because she doesn't show her feeling it doesn't mean she dosent have them.

Note that Dan Akroyd wrote Ghostbusters: the Afterlife. Dan Akroyd is autistic, so adding an autistic character is no surprise. I also think that since the move, thus Phoebe's character was written by an autistic, it was done so much better than I have ever seen before. Really enhanced the enjoyment of the movie for me.

More info here.

Enjoy!

Note that Dan Akroyd wrote Ghostbusters: the Afterlife. Dan Akroyd is autistic, so adding an autistic character is no surprise. I also think that since the move, thus Phoebe's character was written by an autistic, it was done so much better than I have ever seen before. Really enhanced the enjoyment of the movie for me.

More info here.

Enjoy!
I am very curious about a line in the movie quoted by Phoebe.
Upon attempting to trap the Muncher ghost, Podcast said, "Aren't just a little bit freaked out right now?"
Phoebe replied, "Overstimulation calms me."

This puzzles me. Overstimulation makes me feel frantic and often makes me "lockup". It certainly doesn't make me feel calm. Perhaps I might look calm on the outside, but it would be very inhibiting of any task I'm trying to perform.

Unless I'm really confused, I thought I understood that most autistic's do not handle overstimulation calmly.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding the statement or situation. I seem to only overstimulate when other people are involved. If I'm doing something that doesn't involve other people, even if the situation becomes a chaotic emergency, I usually handle it competently and well. I suspect I would have handled the situation in the Muncher scene about the same as Phoebe did, since Podcast wasn't barking commands or trying to intervene, direct or instruct Phoebe in her actions.

I'm curious about the thoughts any of you might have about this???

Upon attempting to trap the Muncher ghost, Podcast said, "Aren't just a little bit freaked out right now?"

This puzzles me. Overstimulation makes me feel frantic and often makes me "lockup". It certainly doesn't make me feel calm. Perhaps I might look calm on the outside, but it would be very inhibiting of any task I'm trying to perform.

Unless I'm really confused, I thought I understood that most autistic's do not handle overstimulation calmly.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding the statement or situation. I seem to only overstimulate when other people are involved. If I'm doing something that doesn't involve other people, even if the situation becomes a chaotic emergency, I usually handle it competently and well. I suspect I would have handled the situation in the Muncher scene about the same as Phoebe did, since Podcast wasn't barking commands or trying to intervene, direct or instruct Phoebe in her actions.

Yeah, it struck me as a little odd as well, but as you pointed out there are different kinds of overstimulation. A large group of people being chaotic and loud will shut me down in a hurry, but some sort of automotive emergency (being part of my special interest,) on the side of a busy road, I'm in the zone.

I need some stimulation - some background noise for me to be able to concentrate. But if it's too interesting or too complex and therefore demanding my attention, then suddenly it's too much.

My mother used to read a book while listening to the radio and watching the TV at the same time. I have no idea how she did that, but that's my best guess at what "calming through overstimulation" could be.

Maybe she was joking. Calm is the opposite of overstimulated. Saying that overstimulation calms you is like saying that jumping into a fire makes you cold.

Maybe she was joking. Calm is the opposite of overstimulated. Saying that over stimulation calms you is like saying that jumping into a fire makes you cold.
Could also be complete shutdown, for me over stimulation can result in a complete shutdown. Almost like one's brain can't handle it all and just says screw it, I'm stepping out now.

Harrison Wells pre-transmogrifying into Eobard Thawnes spirit ,soul,mind (born in the 22C,ridiculous title reverse flash)afterwards psychopath,(the flash)(Golden Age comics featured from Nov 1939-1956,D.C comics 1959 until present)

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom