• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What Are Your Fears (Big & Small)

Rubber bands (people playing with them, flinging them, stretching them, etc.), turning around to someone staring at me/watching me, eyes on dolls (feel as if they're watching me or moving or something), being accused of lying and being punished when telling the truth, unknown insects (can't be identified), parasites, ticks, leeches, needles/shots/injections/vaccinations, gas chambers, laryngectomy, head lice, microscopic living things in or on things and places I use everyday/regularly (unsure if this is a fear, or a curiosity/wanting to study/observe/know), bridges.

-The loss of my dog (he is young and healthy, but the fear that something could happen to him drives me mad).
- sickness and dead(mine and my parents).

I also have a terrible fear of saying the wrong thing, it plagues me for days after a social event.

Oh my, me too sass! If I could do all my chatting online, I would be fine, but life is cruel and thus, I have to battle through each day and the worst is when I do say something, I think: should I have said that? It is so uncomfortable, because I feel mentally blind!

Too many to list, but I'll say noticing others notice me, is quite a big fear.

Also having to ask people for help/directions/advice etc is quite terrifying for me.

Exactly! Thanks so much for putting it into words. I actually want to hide when I have been noticed and it makes me horribly paranoid to go out and circulate and let's face it, everyone notices everyone and I might get: now that colour is really you or I like how your hair is etc and I am thinking: too scary, I am not invisible and wish to heck I was but at the same time, hate being ignored!!!

My biggest and on going fear is the aging process and I just cannot see any beauty in it! I find myself fixated on someone with tons of wrinkles and it is like I want to run away!

Before I reached the age of 40, I actually thought I was going to die and not reach it and right on the dot of midnight of the me turning 40, I sort of held my breath and the next minute, I saw I was still alive and so, honestly, with deep shame, as I pass the years and in a couple of week's, will be 45, I wish it away, but can't and thus try to ignore it but do get into blinding panics and then reason that I know why we get old and die, for I am a christian and I know what the future holds and thus, that gets me thinking rational again!

As I say: my biggest but really, along side that is the fear of being in the public eye for I hate scrutiny. I think I know why, but there is not a great deal I can do, and so I just battle through!

I should add that it is not the age that concerns me, but what aging does to one! Yep I am as vain as they come!!!

Venomous snakes and spiders, tornadoes, bad drivers. Common stuff are my little fears. I also don't like mirrors and glare at them when I pass by, which makes for a rather awkward moment of eye contact with that woman that follows me around everywhere. ;)

I'm terrified of spiders and heights. I've gotten more tolerable of the spiders fear since i babysit a two year old full time and have to kill any bugs that pop up when i'm watching him. Its either that or he will pick them up and bring them to me, dead or alive...

I'm constantly afraid that the people around me are just being polite and actually hate me. Or, with people i work with and am friendly with, that the moment they really got to know me they'd hate me. Basically i guess i'm just terrified of being rejected or abandoned in any way shape or form.

I'm also afraid that someday i'll graduate and get a nice job but still be perpetually alone. Forever alone because i don't get people and they don't get me and the moment i let alone in it seems like they decide nope i'm not worth it or hell no i didn't know she was that messed up i'm outta here or they'll play along but its all superficial they don't really care. And then i'm alone again. I'm just afraid of being alone forever. My relationship with my parents is superficial at best and my one friend has pretty much stopped talking to me now that she's got a boyfriend. Once i move out and leave this place behind i'll have no one. Not that i'm not figuratively alone as it is. But at that point i'd be physically alone, too. And that thought terrifies me.

Okay I have a few fears. My worry when my parents are gone, how I will make it on my own since I have no job. My concern is if I will end up finding a job I enjoy or able to do. I also worry about if I will always have difficulty making friends, and end up saying/doing the wrong thing.

Feeling out of control? I hate that feeling... If I have to do something i've not done before, go somewhere i've never been, etc etc; I can't cope...I go into panic, go into meltdown and my body reacts to all that...Usually by setting off my IBS or a migraine..

I am scared of my circumstances changing

I am scared of what others think of me

And spiders...of course...the horrid things. I get joy from killing them...

Growing old, not being able to look after myself and not having anyone to look after me. Cancer, heart attack, stroke. Death.
Losing work, running out of money, not being able to pay bills then losing house.

A close family member becoming ill and my not being able to cope with the situation.
Going to the dentist's.
Going to the doctor's.
Being introduced to a new person and then being left alone with that person, expected to talk to them.

Any situation where I don't feel in control causes me some level of anxiety.

Moths! I hate moths they are evil hairy flappy things! And they have fat hairy bodies and they make that sound when they fly past your ear, then I freak out and hide in another room whilst my girlfriend captures it!

One time I made myself a bowl of cereal for breakfast before work, I got sat down with it at the table and this huge moth flew over and landed on the edge of my bowl and just stared at me! I never did have breakfast that day!!

I have so many fears. I am actually scared of answering the phone because I do not know what they want or how to deal with that but I am ok with talking to people on the phone in general. I am fearful of new things like doing something I have not done and I am fearful that even if it is something I know that I will not be good enough at it and it will not be quite right. I am scared of people forming a good opinion of me only to be disappointed, I hope that explains my social fears.

All of this, for one. I also have a fear of being outside at night, new places, being somewhere really high without rails and falling, strangers in general (if I'm alone), and dying without somebody I care about by my side.

Dying of cancer.

Contracting cancer or any terminal illness at all.

Dying period; I'm a christian but I have NO IDEA what *The Man Upstairs* actually has waiting for me...or if there's even anything waiting at all...

Suffering an amputation. Game controllers have buttons on two sides for a reason.

Being executed on Death Row.

Falling into a yearlong coma.

Waking up in the middle of surgery of any risk level. I'm okay with having my teeth lobotomized or whatever, but if I have to be cut open, those doctors better either make sure I get hit in the head with something hard, metal or heavy, or if the gas terminal breaks down, pin my wrists and ankles to the table. I do *not* take viscera display lightly in person.

Going deaf or blind. Ye gods alive if I ever lose my sight or hearing, just shoot me through the head.

Becoming so overweight that I become a trending star on TLC, or an internet meme.

Being raped by another male. (This almost happened in a state hospital one time!)

My mother dying before I get too old to live with my family. She's my backbone and I don't know what I'd do without her.

Being sent BACK to Cherry, the state hospital I went to, forced to stay there forever. (The doctor assigned to me, an Indian guy, even told me when I got there "you have no chance of leaving" when my stay was supposed to be temporary; it didn't help that the message from the judge said he hadn't decided the length of my stay yet)

Losing all my teeth ( though, I've gone several years without proper dental care on my own account and the closest ive come so far to losing a canine is a tooth that got cracked in a street fight breaking. I do have my 18 and 2 slated for extraction though.)

Being stuck in a 60 year old elevator.

Discovering ransomware on one of my devices. Go buy your own bitcoins, Russians!

Being kidnapped.

Being robbed.

Having an item vital to our survival or advancement in survival/situational remedy go missing and never be recovered setting us back 100 steps on the board and rooting us into the freaking ground (I'm talking, like, not even a car to sleep in)

Dying homeless. What kind of legacy is that?

Dying without fulfilling my freeware indie crossover game career. Ive always wanted to see a 32 bit 2D sprite of myself fighting alongside Cloud Strife.

Getting another bird and having it die early the same way poor Sparky did. (Epitaph: "Dwirtwireet, frackin' stupid!")

Being robbed or kidnapped by not one thug but multiple groups of thugs, a la Karate Kid.

A whole genocide of my entire family.

Somewhat irrational: Living to see The Terrible Day He Comes Back. I say irrational because people keep saying its coming " sooner than you think" yet I see zero of the signs the doomthreads show or tall about. Two suns/moons? Someones lamp is reflecting off a window. Trumpets in the sky? Airplane with clogged turbines. Animals losing their [expletive]? Its probably mating season. Six month old baby saying "Jesus here"? Someone used a voice changer. Still...

Snakes. The crazy thing is they're one of my spirit animals so I shouldn't really fear them yet I keep having visions of ones the size of oak trees in my dreams.

Sometimes I fear becoming depressed again but that fear is slowly becoming smaller and smaller.

Also I almost drowned once so I'm not the biggest fan of big bodies of water.

My husband often tells me I'm not afraid of anything, which is obviously not true. I just don't have the fears I see people around me having (walking alone outside after dark etc).
I also have fear every time I leave from talking in a social situation that I said something I shouldn't have. I also fear looking stupid, fat, confused, wasting time
This exactly!

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom