• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What Are Your Fears (Big & Small)

djn

I have a fear of getting to the end of my life and not having lived how I really wanted to. I also have fear every time I leave from talking in a social situation that I said something I shouldn't have. I also fear looking stupid, fat, confused, wasting time, being pressured in any way, and bouts of anxiety and OCD.

I also have a terrible fear of saying the wrong thing, it plagues me for days after a social event.

I used to have a major fear of never getting any really good support.
And the fact I hadn't found that support escalated that fear. :(
But these days I have my mum, friends who understand what I go through and, recently, this site. :D
So, one fear conquered. :D

So I only have a small fear, which is needles. :p

Dogs. I was attacked by a pit bull when I was a child. I'm okay with small dogs, but big hunting dogs are terrifying. The Hound of the Baskervilles is one of my favourite books, but it scared the hell out of me as a kid.

Too many to list, but I'll say noticing others notice me, is quite a big fear.

Also having to ask people for help/directions/advice etc is quite terrifying for me.

Daddy Longlegses. Those spiders with those reaaally long legs. Alot of people say that they are the most poisonous animal or whatever, but that's not what I'm afraid of. It's those LEGS! They are creepy. The spiders just stumble around with those huge legs. A few years ago, my friend tore a Daddy Longlegs apart leg by leg and it was still alive with no legs. I think that's when my fear started. Also a few years ago, i went to boy scout camp for 6 nights. The tents were filled with Daddy Longlegses so i only got sleep 4/6 of those nights.

Daddy Longlegses. Those spiders with those reaaally long legs. Alot of people say that they are the most poisonous animal or whatever, but that's not what I'm afraid of. It's those LEGS! They are creepy. The spiders just stumble around with those huge legs. A few years ago, my friend tore a Daddy Longlegs apart leg by leg and it was still alive with no legs. I think that's when my fear started. Also a few years ago, i went to boy scout camp for 6 nights. The tents were filled with Daddy Longlegses so i only got sleep 4/6 of those nights.
Those are creepy! I agree.

As a kid a read a story about a volcano in Mexico just popping up in a farmer's field.
For years after I'd lie in bed at night terrified a volcano would pop up under my bedroom floorboards. Probably didn't help we lived right beside an extinct volcano.

As a kid a read a story about a volcano in Mexico just popping up in a farmer's field.
For years after I'd lie in bed at night terrified a volcano would pop up under my bedroom floorboards. Probably didn't help we lived right beside an extinct volcano.
That would be scary for a kid.

***!!! I think I heard about that same story when I was a kid. Who thought that was a good story for kids? Why did they do this to us ???

My family used to rent canoes on a lake. I would look down into the water, and the reflected sun shot out rays that looked like the legs of an octopus. I used to imagine dying in the cold water, miles from anywhere, water as distant and isolated as space, with the scary octopus.

Now I like octopuses.

Another childhood one... My grandfather owned a holiday home over the hills by the sea. He told me once the (volcanic) hills were coloured red by the blood shed in all the Maori wars. Throughout my childhood, whenever we drove over those hills, if I looked at the rocks on one side I felt sick, I couldn't look out the other side as I was scared of heights. So I looked nowhere and got car sick instead.

I'm scared of old people. They can be nice and all, it's just the actual "old" that's scary for me. Getting weak and sick and slowly losing your mind. The idea of myself aging is also scary. My most recent suicide attempt was (amongst other things) to stop myself from aging.

I'm scared of old people. They can be nice and all, it's just the actual "old" that's scary for me. Getting weak and sick and slowly losing your mind. The idea of myself aging is also scary. My most recent suicide attempt was (amongst other things) to stop myself from aging.
Getting old can be a beautiful thing. As you get older, you start to see things differently. Getting old can also be a lot of fun. Most people do not treat it that way, but when you see someone who does, you see right away that it is just life. Getting old does also not mean being sick. If you live a half way decent life, you should be healthy right up to the end, and the end is nothing to be feared. By the time you get there, you are ready.
Don't live in fear Amee, but in hope.

Getting old can be a beautiful thing. As you get older, you start to see things differently. Getting old can also be a lot of fun. Most people do not treat it that way, but when you see someone who does, you see right away that it is just life. Getting old does also not mean being sick. If you live a half way decent life, you should be healthy right up to the end, and the end is nothing to be feared. By the time you get there, you are ready.
Thank you. I appreciate this alot :)

I don't find getting old nearly as daunting as basic survival. Which can be an issue for most any adult. Food, clothing, shelter. It's rough out there.

I agree with Peace! However, I feel very old and appear very childish, and this difference bothers me.

I also have a terrible fear of saying the wrong thing, it plagues me for days after a social event.
Plague is the perfect word...I get a buzz in my whole body every time I think back to the event. And fits of self-hate. But no one really cares! Oh, cruel fate.

Plague is the perfect word...I get a buzz in my whole body every time I think back to the event. And fits of self-hate. But no one really cares! Oh, cruel fate.

Yep. And going back to the same conversations over the years.

Like they play back in some kind of loop where something unknown trips the memory. That really annoys me. Is letting go of such things an Aspie trait? I fear just the idea of such memories coming back to haunt me at times. It's a useless process to me.

New Threads

Top Bottom