• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What Are Your Fears (Big & Small)

I have so many fears. I am actually scared of answering the phone because I do not know what they want or how to deal with that but I am ok with talking to people on the phone in general. I am fearful of new things like doing something I have not done and I am fearful that even if it is something I know that I will not be good enough at it and it will not be quite right. I am scared of people forming a good opinion of me only to be disappointed, I hope that explains my social fears.

I am scared of snakes, I am scared of driving a car other than my own, I am scared of not having enough money, I get scared of going to work because I do not know what they will ask me to do.

I am scared of not ever getting anywhere in life and getting old. I hope that explains my fears, I have not been diagnosed with Aspergers and do not know if I have it but next week I will find out for sure as am seeing a professional.

My biggest fears usually involve social situations. I fear leaving the comfort of my apartment to go anywhere with even the smallest crowd. I've never been a fan of going to the grocery store, mall, school, work, social gatherings like parties or family events. It's all just too much. Useless chit chat about stuff I could care less about, feeling trapped by questions I don't want to answer. You'd never know how terrified I am on the inside by the calm look on my face. I've learned since childhood to match my facial expression to the moment or conversation (to the best of my ability). Anyway, I just want my family and friends to feel comfortable and happy even if it's at my own miserable expense. Getting back to my apartment is the most relieving feeling I've ever felt. It's like suddenly being able to breathe again.

Oh yeah, and I too have a fear of saying the wrong thing to people. I'll think about it for days, weeks, months and even years. This is why I just prefer to avoid social situations as much as possible. I really only go out if I need to.

Getting old can be a beautiful thing. As you get older, you start to see things differently. Getting old can also be a lot of fun. Most people do not treat it that way, but when you see someone who does, you see right away that it is just life. Getting old does also not mean being sick. If you live a half way decent life, you should be healthy right up to the end, and the end is nothing to be feared. By the time you get there, you are ready.
Don't live in fear Amee, but in hope.
I feel the same way. When I was a teenager I used to think that I would hate my fading 20's and that it was all downhill after 30 but so far all I've ever felt is joy that I can do more than I could as a kid (legally and financially). Aging can be fun. It's all perspective.

Im afraid of death, not only for myself but when the time my mum or dad dies how will i live? I cant imagine my life without my parents. Even though i don't spend time with them i still love them and feel safe when there around. And when im ill im really scared that im dying. I get anxious and need my parents. Im not so bad with minor illnesses like a cold but if I'm being sick i panic.

1) My beloved dog getting hit by a car.
2) Hornets--those really big ones that have troubled me in the past and hurt like hell when they sting
3) Logging on to Facebook worrying that I might find out another of my friends has died

I do not fear death, but I am concerned over how I arrive at that moment. As I get closer to it I think about it a little more.

A good friend of mine (another aspie) who was 5 years younger had a stroke 5 years ago. This led to dementia and he reached the point of not being able to recognise those around him. He had support, a loving wife and money to help out with his care. I have neither so would be totally alone in facing it, don't want to go that way.

For: Harrison54:
Take some fish oil tablets. My doctor (VA) suggested 3 tablets a day. I buy Kroger (store brand) because they are the cheapest I can find; 1200 mg per capsule. Take some Vitamin D pills/capsules, too. Again, I buy Kroger (store brand) because they are the cheapest I can find, 2000 IU a day. These two over-the-counter supplements are a minimum to try and keep our bodys and minds together. There is some evidence (some studies) that the Omega-3 in the fish oil really helps limit Alzheimer's and that Vitamin D is a common deficiency and that the D vitamins are essential for many functions in our bodies. In these quantities these two supplements will not have side-effects.

All I really know came from infomercials on the car radio and reading Wikipedia. I started taking both supplements several years ago and turned a descending health spiral which had reached a stage of serious malaise completely around and am mostly back to as healthy as is possible for a mid-70's man.

I also take a Vitamin B-100 everyday and a calcium tablet which includes its own Vitamin D and 'essential minerals.' I recommend these too. If anyone has questions, research these supplements on the Internet and in Wikipedia. I would suggest to not spend any more money on them than the least that can be managed. The chemistry of all the pills is the same in spite of price.

Big - Dementia. I have a morbid fear of developing dementia and being unable to care for myself. I have been pretty much on my own since I was ten-years-old, so having to rely on another person for assistance is something I cannot fathom.

My mother had dementia in her last years as I took care of her. At times it made things pretty rough for both of us.

Small - Spiders. I detest them and have an unnatural fear of the vile little creatures. However, a couple summers ago some odd little spider took up residence in my gazebo. It would weave an incredible web at night, but by morning it would take it down. I actually found myself fascinated by it. One night when I was up late, I watched it work its magic. Another morning when I got up early, I watched how it took it down. I saw where it was living in the corner of the gazebo, so I left it alone. Had it gotten in the house, that would have been a different story. I keep cans of Raid in every room of the house in case I encounter some sort of creepy crawler. Here in Alabama, we have an abundance.

Oooo, I was watching just exactly such a spider in the middle of the night two nights ago. It set up the night web across the back door.
ImageUploadedByAspiesCentral.com1406953613.011890.jpg
ImageUploadedByAspiesCentral.com1406953624.177168.jpg

I reside in a 'single house,' not an apartment or other multi-resident/tenant building. One year there were hundreds or thousands of spiders in the shrubbery. Could not go out of the house at night because of the night webs across the entrance ways and walks. Even keeping a broom ready to sweep the air in front as I walked was not enough. Real-life horror situation. The next Spring I went to my local big-box hardware store (Lowe's, Home Depot) and bought a couple of bags of general-purpose outdoor insecticide granules. According to the instructions, the bags would each cover my entire lawn several times. I used a rubber glove and tossed handfuls of the insecticide against the walls so it would fall behind and over all the shrubbery and foundation plantings. Now I do that every Spring. May or may not kill the spiders but it kills the bugs that are their food supply and my spider problem went away. And yes, indoors I have cans of Raid in easy reach several places in case. Roach spray, ant spray, flying insect killer. For No-See-Ums an interesting thing that works is a candle lit in the early night while I am using the computer. One low-intensity light on one side, the candle on the other of my computer screen (a couple of feet away) in the otherwise dark room. The little biting things apparently are attracted to the flame and I can clean up that problem in an hour or two. A (small, 3 gallon, plastic) trash-can nearly full of water sitting in the shower/bathtub with a couple of drops of Pine Sol takes care of a lot of flying things. They seem to be attracted to the pine scent, land on the surface or the plastic wall of the trash can, there is no surface film because of the soap in the Pine Sol, end of critter. I dump the water with dead bugs into the toilet in the mornings.

Yeah, that looks like it, but much smaller than the pictures (very creepy in the pictures . . . UGH!!!) Did it take the web down by morning? Despite my dislike of spiders, I found it fascinating.
Yes. Web completely down in morning!

I usually feel sick and anxous talking to any stranger, i don't mind so much if they know me, its just in the town i live (I'm not living in my own country too) I also had a terrible fear of spiders after three of them walked across my face whilst i was ill in bed, i almost couldn't breath again, for years later i would check around the edge of the room for them and shake the curtains, if i found one i would spend ages capturing it in a jar and release outside as i thought it would send its friends to me if i killed it but after a while i stopped thinking this and would show my cat them and he would eat them.

I used to fear opening the curtains to see a vampire tapping on my window after seeing a scene in an old horror film. I also used to fear my mum and dad aging and dying, now i don't even speak to them.

I used to fear death as i imagined it to be counciousness alone in a dark room, but now i believe the spirit is eternal within us. Fear just blocks enjoyment but i still feel it myself.

Heights. Confrontation. High speeds. It's all related to the adrenaline rush that's associated with these things. I don't like that feeling at all.

Fear and worry have not been a big part of my life. I don't know why, that's just the way it is. I think at this point in my life, my biggest fear is something bad happening to a loved one. To me, mental pain is a lot harder to deal with than physical pain.

My only real fear is the eventual loss of my mom. My mom, being a special ed teacher and incredibly knowledgable, is a key part of my support system. I know our lives are finite so this fear drives me on to stabilize myself while I have the key support.

1. Not being able to continue creative work
2. Not being able to support my daughter
3. Not being able to support myself and live independently

1. Not being able to connect with the real world.
2. Not graduating
3. Losing the 3 friends I have now.
4. Not able to survive on my own.

New Threads

Top Bottom