• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Weighted blankets!

I have a weighted blanket and do find the weight of it helps me to relax when I'm overstimulated from social interaction.

I'm not able to use it at night for sleep, as I need to change position quite often due to pain and discomfort caused by health problems, and found that turning against the resistance created by the weight of the blanket aggravates the back problems I have.

The weighted blanket I have has velcro fastened pockets and removable weighted sections which has allowed me to just have weight where I wanted it and reduce the overall weight.

When I was deciding which blanket to choose, there were options for blankets that were the size of a single duvet and the rest were smaller in dimensions. I opted for the single duvet size as I wanted to put a duvet cover on it and thought it would fit better. One think I found through using the weighted blanket was that I don't like, want or need weight on my feet and ankles, so had I not have been putting the blanket in a cover, a shorter length weighted blanket would have been sufficient.

There's a fair amount of DIY instructions for weighted blankets, if the cost of buying one is prohibitive.

https://jesttupositive.wordpress.com/2012/11/09/diy-weighted-blanket/

I just dropped $300 on a 25-pound blanket. I feel physically ill from spending that much money on myself. But as it stands it takes a cocktail of 18 sleeping pills and 1mg of Clonazepam to put me to sleep, so hopefully this can get me off that. Between autism, ADHD, PTSD, bipolar, and general anxiety I am one tough nut to put to sleep.

I just dropped $300 on a 25-pound blanket. I feel physically ill from spending that much money on myself. But as it stands it takes a cocktail of 18 sleeping pills and 1mg of Clonazepam to put me to sleep, so hopefully this can get me off that. Between autism, ADHD, PTSD, bipolar, and general anxiety I am one tough nut to put to sleep.
That's a lot of money! Well as long as it helps. [emoji244] And I hope it does.

I have a quantity of blankets & comforters.
They are heavy compared with ordinary store bought
blankets, but the only thing I have in the 20 pound
range is the cat. He likes to get up and lay on me
when the weather is....warm.

I don't know why. He snuggles when it's cold,
but he lays on my arms or legs when it's warm.

It was weird sleeping in Louisiana during the summer
in a trailer w/o air conditioning. I found the lightest
thing I could to put over part of me because otherwise...
with nothing, it seems like the line of demarcation
between me and not-me disappears. And I don't like
to blend in/merge that much.

I wanted to 'like' a post on this thread, and others, but can't seem to work out how. I'm new to the site. I'm using the android app. How do you do it? I couldn't find any information. Thanks :)

I have a quantity of blankets & comforters.
They are heavy compared with ordinary store bought
blankets, but the only thing I have in the 20 pound
range is the cat. He likes to get up and lay on me
when the weather is....warm.

I don't know why. He snuggles when it's cold,
but he lays on my arms or legs when it's warm.

It was weird sleeping in Louisiana during the summer
in a trailer w/o air conditioning. I found the lightest
thing I could to put over part of me because otherwise...
with nothing, it seems like the line of demarcation
between me and not-me disappears. And I don't like
to blend in/merge that much.
My cat Watson always sleeps on my chest! Especially when I'm sick; he rarely leaves me be. Cats are awesome.

My cat Watson always sleeps on my chest! Especially when I'm sick; he rarely leaves me be. Cats are awesome.
When I had surgery on my leg my cat would insistently try to lie on it. I thought she was just being contrary (she generally always does whatever you don't want her to) but I did some research and found out that cats do this in an attempt to soothe pain with warmth. While I appreciate the care unfortunately it had quite the opposite effect :tearsofjoy:

When I had surgery on my leg my cat would insistently try to lie on it. I thought she was just being contrary (she generally always does whatever you don't want her to) but I did some research and found out that cats do this in an attempt to soothe pain with warmth. While I appreciate the care unfortunately it had quite the opposite effect :tearsofjoy:
I had a fever once that was awful, and I thought Watson was trying to make me better, but it turns out (according to the internet) that he was just stealing my heat because I was warm. :tearsofjoy:

I don't have on yet but recently I got a weighted vest that wrestlers use for training. That I really like, at 75 pounds it's not that heavy at first but after awhile it can feel like a mountain on your shoulders. Especially since I only weight 122.9 pounds.
I don't have one but I tend to pile the blankets high and turn the A/C up.:):snowflake::snowflake::snowflake::snowman:

My momma got me one a few year ago. At first I wouldn't use because I thought It was odd, but I loved did once I tried it. I mainly use it in the summer when it's to hot to have heavy blankets.

My blanket was $200 shipped to me, and is 18lbs, which splits the differance between 5 and 10 percent of my body weight plus two pounds. Its perfect with just a sheet underneith it for the summer time and I add a second and third comforter on top during the cold months as we cut the heat back at night to save money. Mike

My son's grandma made one with a Lightning McQueen pattern. He's loved it for years but is started too grow out of it. I don't know how it started, but we all call it the Magic Blanket.

I have trouble sleeping without a fan or air filter or A/C going to block out sudden noises with white noise.
I really don't like being surprised with sudden noises much, they spook me like a cat.

Last edited:
I bought my 25lb one off eBay for about $180. I was skeptical at first and wonder if I needed it. After all, $180 is a hell of a lot of money to spend on something that you're not sure will work. But I took the leap of faith and ordered it. The gamble payed-off and I now I wondered how I ever got along without it. Deferentially worth the money.

When I find a minky (a man-made, stainless fabric that is so soft), I'm going to see if my cousin can make me [a custom] one, simply because I require a specific texture and pattern, or else it'll just feel like sensory overload/annoy me to no end/etc.

When I find a minky (a man-made, stainless fabric that is so soft), I'm going to see if my cousin can make me [a custom] one, simply because I require a specific texture and pattern, or else it'll just feel like sensory overload/annoy me to no end/etc.

Why does your weighted blanket have to be made of this "minky" fabric? Can't you just place your normal "minky" blanket under the normal "non-minky" weight blanket.

I've heard much about weighted blankets, but never thought to try one. I couldn't image how they would make a difference. After reading all the comments here, I may invest in one, since it seems others have benefited without knowing exactly why.

Of course, I'll have to add ice packs to mine for the summers here as it is devastatingly hot.

I wanted to 'like' a post on this thread, and others, but can't seem to work out how. I'm new to the site. I'm using the android app. How do you do it? I couldn't find any information. Thanks :)

If you're using the android app, it doesn't have the same functionality of the website. If you want to "like" something, among other such functions, then you need to login via a mobile browser, such as Chrome or Dolphin or FireFox. :/

I know it's frustrating. I hope that helps. :)

Last edited:
If you're using the android apply, it doesn't have the same functionality of the website. If you want to "like" something, among other such functions, then you need to login via a mobile browser, such as Chrome or Dolphin or FireFox. :/

I know it's frustrating. I hope that helps. :)
Thanks! I just realised that recently. Thank you for confirming. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom