1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Featured Weighted blankets!

Discussion in 'General Autism Discussion' started by forowls, May 4, 2016.

1. forowls

forowls Lady

Does anybody else use a weighted blanket for comfort, or during meltdowns? I found my very first and only adult-sized weighted blanket three years ago and it helps me a lot.

Thoughs? Likes/dislikes about using one?

[emoji274]

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Rayner

Rayner Well-Known Member

I don't have on yet but recently I got a weighted vest that wrestlers use for training. That I really like, at 75 pounds it's not that heavy at first but after awhile it can feel like a mountain on your shoulders. Especially since I only weight 122.9 pounds.

3. forowls

forowls Lady

when i have meltdowns i like to crawl under the blanket. the smotheting helps me relax. maybe that's weird, LOL.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rayner

Rayner Well-Known Member

I like to do that too, I'm more prone to shut downs than melt downs. It helps me relax too I'm not sure why either.

• Like Like x 1
  5. forowls

forowls Lady

i shutdown sometimes, but i more frequently meltdown. i feel like I'm throwing an adult temper tantrum and i dont like it. :(

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. qwerty

qwerty Sight seeing on the planet of the apes

are the blankets expensive?
    i was just talking about
    them yesterday with my girlfriend.

7. forowls

forowls Lady

they range between 50 and 150$. i got mine off Amazon for 80 dollars. not too bad. and worth the monies.

8. wanderer03

wanderer03 Well-Known Member

That's not too bad. I'll order one up for myself.

9. forowls

forowls Lady

i would definitely recommend. if i am having a particularly bad day, hiding under it helps. it's almost like a hug.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Rayner

Rayner Well-Known Member

That pretty much what they do, give you free firm hugs.

• Like Like x 1
  11. wanderer03

I think this explains why I need something that weighs more than a sheet on my bed in order to fall sleep. If the weighted blanket can help me relax even more, so much the better.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Warmheart

Warmheart Something nerdy this way comes V.I.P Member

I just ordered a weighted blanket, at 15 lbs, from SensaCalm. They cost a bit more, but they are custom to your specifics regarding weight, size, pattern, etc.

Humans have deep pressure sensors all over our bodies. We need more hunts thank we get in society. Autism, add, fibromyalgia, bipolar disorder, PTSD, agitation, addictions, anxiety, and chronic pain conditions all may benefit from weighted blanket therapy.

I hope this weighted blanket helps me calm and settle after running errands and after days with too much social interaction.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. wanderer03

I'm hopeful for you that it will. I'm going to try it too .... especially because I've had an exceptionally tough week and I could use a bear hug right now.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. wanderer03

If the bear hug effect is calming, I don't see why not.

15. Warmheart

Warmheart Something nerdy this way comes V.I.P Member

Giving Wanderer a tight ((((((( BearHUG ))))))) ! :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. RecklessMick

RecklessMick New Member

I have one, but it is very heavy (kinda the point I guess). :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. theminx

theminx Your Friendly Neighborhood Minx. Grr! Meow.

I like it to be slightly cold, then have a comforter with a duvet cover in place of a sheet, so it doesn't get tangled in my feet. THEN a fleece. THEN a weighted blanket, which also has the added benefit of filling in all the air pockets left by the layers of blankets.

In the summer I put a lighter comforter in the duvet cover, then the weighted blanket. As the weighted blanket by itself doesn't properly fill in the air pocket gaps, which often drive my bonkers.

I also need to sleep with either my Teddy Mooka or Rupert. I prefer Mooka, but I've had him for almost 20yrs...and the wear and tear are beginning to cause him a slow and painful death, so to spare him, I've begun substituting him with Rupert. Who is aesthetically pleasing, but not as soft and pliable as Mooka. So...but I guess you need to learn to let go of such things over time.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. artfull dodger

artfull dodger Well-Known Member

I got a weighted blanket right after my diagnosis and discussing my inablity to sleep thru the night during the warmer months of the year, where as in the winter we have several heavy comforter blankets on the bed and I would sleep like a rock. However in the warmer months, I would wake up almost every hour. Then the following day I would be very prone to meltdowns and shutdowns from not getting enough sleep. The blanket also helps calm me down when I feel a meltdown or shutdown coming on. Worth every penny spent on it. Got mine from Mosaic Blankets thru thier excellent website. Mike

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  19. NtNoWay

NtNoWay Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I have one, I had it made by a local lady who makes them. She custom makes them based on your size and weight. It is quite heavy. I can't really explain how or why it works but it does. I have not had to use it during a melt-down as I haven't had one for quite some time, however I often use it on my bed when I am just a bit wound up and it is somehow calming. All the individual little bits of weight interacting with my muscles and stuff. It is strangely wonderful.

In my view, worth the investment.

• Like Like x 2
  20. NothingToSeeHere

NothingToSeeHere Asexuowl V.I.P Member

I have one, and I really like it. I can't sleep without some weight on top of me, which is fine in winter when I can pile up the blankets, but a problem in summer. With the blanket I can sleep well without getting too hot. The weight is also very comforting, and I use it to help my posture. If I'm writing a report I used to get back and neck pain from bad posture in front of the computer, the blanket makes me more aware of my body so that doesn't happen. Expensive but definitely worth it.

• Agree Agree x 1