• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Weighted blankets!

Does anybody else use a weighted blanket for comfort, or during meltdowns? I found my very first and only adult-sized weighted blanket three years ago and it helps me a lot.

Thoughs? Likes/dislikes about using one?

[emoji274]

I don't have on yet but recently I got a weighted vest that wrestlers use for training. That I really like, at 75 pounds it's not that heavy at first but after awhile it can feel like a mountain on your shoulders. Especially since I only weight 122.9 pounds.

I don't have on yet but recently I got a weighted vest that wrestlers use for training. That I really like, at 75 pounds it's not that heavy at first but after awhile it can feel like a mountain on your shoulders. Especially since I only weight 122.9 pounds.
when i have meltdowns i like to crawl under the blanket. the smotheting helps me relax. maybe that's weird, LOL.

I like to do that too, I'm more prone to shut downs than melt downs. It helps me relax too I'm not sure why either.

i shutdown sometimes, but i more frequently meltdown. i feel like I'm throwing an adult temper tantrum and i dont like it. :(

are the blankets expensive?
i was just talking about
them yesterday with my girlfriend.

I think this explains why I need something that weighs more than a sheet on my bed in order to fall sleep. If the weighted blanket can help me relax even more, so much the better.

I just ordered a weighted blanket, at 15 lbs, from SensaCalm. They cost a bit more, but they are custom to your specifics regarding weight, size, pattern, etc.

Humans have deep pressure sensors all over our bodies. We need more hunts thank we get in society. Autism, add, fibromyalgia, bipolar disorder, PTSD, agitation, addictions, anxiety, and chronic pain conditions all may benefit from weighted blanket therapy.

I hope this weighted blanket helps me calm and settle after running errands and after days with too much social interaction.

I just ordered a weighted blanket, at 15 lbs, from SensaCalm. They cost a bit more, but they are custom to your specifics regarding weight, size, pattern, etc.

Humans have deep pressure sensors all over our bodies. We need more hunts thank we get in society. Autism, add, fibromyalgia, bipolar disorder, PTSD, agitation, addictions, anxiety, and chronic pain conditions all may benefit from weighted blanket therapy.

I hope this weighted blanket helps me calm and settle after running errands and after days with too much social interaction.
I'm hopeful for you that it will. I'm going to try it too .... especially because I've had an exceptionally tough week and I could use a bear hug right now.

I've not heard of such a thing before, so I'm intrigued. This may sound odd, but would a weighted blanket help with sleep walking? When I'm stressed or unusually fatigued, I sleep walk on occasion. People find that odd since I'm rapidly approaching the golden years; it's normal for children, but not adults. I used to go outside when I still lived in the country, but thus far I've not gone outside . . . that I know of.

With that said, would a weighted blanket help to minimize my need to go on a nocturnal trek or even keep me in bed since the weight might be enough to dissuade me from trying to get up? I have chains and alarms on my doors, so I'm not too worried about leaving the house, but it's still disturbing. A time may come when I do venture outside. The last thing I need is to go riding down Holmes Ave. on my Harley dressed in only my drawers and a blank stare.
If the bear hug effect is calming, I don't see why not.

I like it to be slightly cold, then have a comforter with a duvet cover in place of a sheet, so it doesn't get tangled in my feet. THEN a fleece. THEN a weighted blanket, which also has the added benefit of filling in all the air pockets left by the layers of blankets.

In the summer I put a lighter comforter in the duvet cover, then the weighted blanket. As the weighted blanket by itself doesn't properly fill in the air pocket gaps, which often drive my bonkers.

I also need to sleep with either my Teddy Mooka or Rupert. I prefer Mooka, but I've had him for almost 20yrs...and the wear and tear are beginning to cause him a slow and painful death, so to spare him, I've begun substituting him with Rupert. Who is aesthetically pleasing, but not as soft and pliable as Mooka. So...but I guess you need to learn to let go of such things over time.

I got a weighted blanket right after my diagnosis and discussing my inablity to sleep thru the night during the warmer months of the year, where as in the winter we have several heavy comforter blankets on the bed and I would sleep like a rock. However in the warmer months, I would wake up almost every hour. Then the following day I would be very prone to meltdowns and shutdowns from not getting enough sleep. The blanket also helps calm me down when I feel a meltdown or shutdown coming on. Worth every penny spent on it. Got mine from Mosaic Blankets thru thier excellent website. Mike

I have one, I had it made by a local lady who makes them. She custom makes them based on your size and weight. It is quite heavy. I can't really explain how or why it works but it does. I have not had to use it during a melt-down as I haven't had one for quite some time, however I often use it on my bed when I am just a bit wound up and it is somehow calming. All the individual little bits of weight interacting with my muscles and stuff. It is strangely wonderful.

In my view, worth the investment.

I have one, and I really like it. I can't sleep without some weight on top of me, which is fine in winter when I can pile up the blankets, but a problem in summer. With the blanket I can sleep well without getting too hot. The weight is also very comforting, and I use it to help my posture. If I'm writing a report I used to get back and neck pain from bad posture in front of the computer, the blanket makes me more aware of my body so that doesn't happen. Expensive but definitely worth it.

New Threads

Top Bottom