• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Weighted blankets!

I have read, and been told by my therapist, that those on the spectrum have senses that never shut off. And that constant desire for input, even while we try to sleep, causes us to have issues getting to the deep (REM) sleep our bodies need to regenerate. I take my weighted blanket whenever we travel to my inlaws or stay in a hotel. If not, I cannot sleep or sleep very poorly. I can highly recommend the Mosaic Blanket site, I love mine and it has held up really well. As soon as we get a nice dry and warm weekend, I need to wash mine, they have to air dry, so it will be an early morning wash load, then out to the cloths line till dusk. Mike

Thats where the weighted blanket came in handy, it was the summer months I would struggle to sleep and be very prone to meltdowns. Trying to use the heavy winter blankets was to hot, but I did try. I can use the weighted blanket thru the summer months and not be to hot. I try to take my evening shower early enough that my body cools back down before I lay down for the night. If I am still hot, I will lay on top of the blanket and read till I cool down, then cover up and go to sleep.

When I had surgery on my leg my cat would insistently try to lie on it. I thought she was just being contrary (she generally always does whatever you don't want her to) but I did some research and found out that cats do this in an attempt to soothe pain with warmth. While I appreciate the care unfortunately it had quite the opposite effect :tearsofjoy:

Aww that's sweet. I was home with a really bad flu once, and my cav (now deceased) jumped up on the bed. I awoke to him lying on my chest like a minature saint Bernard with a concerned look on his face

Last edited:
I made my own. I found an internet site that gives instructions, I'll see if I still have the link. It was cheaper than buying one, but it was a while ago, and I can't remember what the relative comparison was. I use it when I have trouble sleeping, but it is too hot to be comfortable in the middle of summer. I recently bought some compression clothing, but the jury is still out on that.
As a child I used to lie under the couch to give pressure. Sometimes I'd get my sister to sit on the couch at the same time.

I've slept under a weighted blanket every night for the past four years or so. They're definitely amazing for aiding sleep. I used to have trouble falling asleep and sleeping through the night, but now restless nights are much more rare for me. The only downside is how hot they can be in the summer, and ever having to go without it suddenly. I stayed at a hotel about a year or two ago and forgot mine and consequently couldn't sleep a single minute without it. I may be a bit extreme though :sweatsmile:

I need to get me a weighted blanket, thick blankets alone make me feel comfy and secure, i dont know why, i love the warmth and comfort!

I've had my blanket for about a week now and have definitely noticed a difference in my sleep quality. Before, it would take me quite a while to fall asleep and I would wake up 4-6 times a night. Now, I fall asleep a little faster and I only wake up once before it is time to get up. I love it. I'm so glad I saw this thread!

I really want a weighted blanket, but I'm fortunate to have a kitty who sleeps on my chest at night. It puts me to sleep almost immediately. :3

I am pleased you like your weighted blanket and noticed a change right away after 1 week. I noticed the same change, but kind of knew that it would work since I slept better during the winter months when we have the heavy comforters on the bed. If I allow myself to calm and cool down prior to bed time, I do not have any issues with my blanket making me to warm during the summer. I also sleep in thin pajamas or nothing during the warm months and we keep the ceiling fan on low all the time in the bed room. Mike

New Threads

Top Bottom