• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Timothy Kasse

Hello Dear Community,

I am a 70 year old man who was officially diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome at age 64. I have read a number of book where people were diagnosed at around 40 or younger. What about going through for over 60 years wondering what was wrong with most of the rest of the world. I am a mix of classical Aspie characteristics incorporated into an experience base that includes working in 26 countries and three languages. I am a Keynote speaker and can look you in the eye. But I miss every social cue that is described in all of the Aspie books.

I love Science Fiction, Music of multiple genres, dancing, watching old movies, reading, and working out. I enjoy travel if I am going with someone who can appreciate other people and cultures. I classically enjoy intellectual conversations.

I am looking for folks similar to me, that can share their experiences with me and guide me to places and sites so I can learn more

Hope to hear from some of you.

Tim

41d19554ad873ed2d3b0091898ac2a62.png

Welcome, Tim -

I self-diagnosed (with certainty) at 68. What a game changer, right?

I think you will find exactly what you are looking for here. And I'm sure your rich experience base will be a blessing in return. See you around!

Welcome! I do hope you will find stimulation here. There are many intellects here :) What do you like to read/talk about?

Welcome to the forums! I look forward to hearing more about you. Sounds like you've lived an interesting life so far.

Welcome Timothy!

There's quite a few older diagnosed Aspies here.
Myself one of them. I was diagnosed in my mid fifties.

Hi and welcome, yes plenty here had similar experiences, our generations missed out on diagnosis, it's only recently become more understood and potentially easily diagnosed. I self diagnosed in my 50s, now 63.

I know what you mean about all those years working to find ways to be a better neurotypical. But hey, I m not one... and as for missing social cues... what cues?!

It's good that you are here, I hope that you enjoy the discussions and join in.

:palmtree::dragon::cactus::herb::bug::palmtree:

Hi and Welcome @Timothy Kasse

Glad you have found this place. There are a number of us in here who are older and also "recently" diagnosed.
Do pull up a chair and join in the chat.

Hi and welcome, yes plenty here had similar experiences, our generations missed out on diagnosis, it's only recently become more understood and potentially easily diagnosed. I self diagnosed in my 50s, now 63.

I know what you mean about all those years working to find ways to be a better neurotypical. But hey, I m not one... and as for missing social cues... what cues?!

It's good that you are here, I hope that you enjoy the discussions and join in.

:palmtree::dragon::cactus::herb::bug::palmtree:
Oldest man 83 never heard him speak about his self what soever

Welcome- I just recently self-diagnosed at 51, after the same thing- years of wondering why people are so difficult to deal with, figuring it was me, but no idea how to "fix" myself.

I also am a really good public speaker, and my whole life, I have had my own company and worked with the public. Until Covid hit, I did huge trade shows many times a year and could talk endlessly to folks about my products.

It was hard at first to square that with the usual image of someone with Autism, but I've come to realize my work was a performance, lined up with my special interest, more like channeling something through me vs. being a conversation with another person, which I still suck at!

This site has a good resources page, and the one I've found the most helpful is the videos here:
https://www.autistamatic.com/

He covers so many helpful topics and tips, so you can watch the ones that relate to you for more insights. I especially found the Masking and Hyperlexia ones very relevant to me.

New Threads

Top Bottom