• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

So I finally realized...

CrystalSpider

Hello, everyone! So for years I’ve thought I had all different issues- anxiety, OCD, sensory processing disorder- and I do have them to some extent, but Aspergers never occurred to me, which is REALLY strange considering my son is on the spectrum. I think we are very different- he has slow processing speed, different issues, but enough overlap that I should have realized. Anyway, not very self-aware, I guess. Lol

Anyway, I’ve always had certain stress-relieving behavior that I engaged in, like tapping my fingers in a complicated pattern one way, and then doing the inverse the other way, and doing the same thing with my tongue on my teeth. Then, recently, I suffered cancer-related brain damage, and my previously amazing working memory has been severely affected. I can’t do any of these calming things anymore, which has led to a lot of anxiety.

Anyway, all of this had led me to examine all these things I do, the social issues I have (and the anxiety stemming from “passing” as NT all these years). I’ve been smiling and nodding at people for years, copying and pasting appropriate responses on social media (I’ve never admitted this before lol), avoiding small talk... I’ve left social gatherings questioning whether I talked too much about a subject no one else cared about- sometimes I purposely won’t talk at all because I feel like once I start talking it just happens. (Like now?)

Anyway, it’s good to find this forum. There’s so much about my childhood that I’m thinking back on that makes sense now. Looking forward to learning more.
CS

Warm welkome to the forums

Its very common that us wimen are diagnosed later in life actually (they dident found my ASD until i was 30 despite i have been having it all my life)

Last edited:
upload_2019-4-23_12-42-11.png

Hello CrystalSpider, nice to meet you! Hope you'll ad a nice profile pic soon =)) And: Good, you noticed yourself after so much time !

I didn't recognize and learn about my differences in my neurology until very recently (past few months!).

Welcome, and I hope you get what you need from this community. This is a welcoming environment, and a great place to come to when you need to recharge from the stresses of living in a world run by NTs.

The "calming things" are what we call "stimming". We tend to have sensory integration disorder and are constantly "fiddling" in order to stay calm. Suffering brain damage to the extent that you can no longer stim sounds like a real nightmare scenario. You may have to find new ways to stim. It will take a while. When my schizophrenia got too bad to ignore it destroyed all my routines and I had to use trial and error to find new ones. Anyway, welcome.

Welcome CrystalSpider.
Not being able to stim does sound very troublesome.
I bet you'll adapt to some different ways though.
Glad you joined us and I like your name. Needs a good avatar!
Spiders attract me and I have a collection of different spider items. :)

Hello, everyone! So for years I’ve thought I had all different issues- anxiety, OCD, sensory processing disorder- and I do have them to some extent, but Aspergers never occurred to me, which is REALLY strange considering my son is on the spectrum. I think we are very different- he has slow processing speed, different issues, but enough overlap that I should have realized. Anyway, not very self-aware, I guess. Lol

Anyway, I’ve always had certain stress-relieving behavior that I engaged in, like tapping my fingers in a complicated pattern one way, and then doing the inverse the other way, and doing the same thing with my tongue on my teeth. Then, recently, I suffered cancer-related brain damage, and my previously amazing working memory has been severely affected. I can’t do any of these calming things anymore, which has led to a lot of anxiety.

Anyway, all of this had led me to examine all these things I do, the social issues I have (and the anxiety stemming from “passing” as NT all these years). I’ve been smiling and nodding at people for years, copying and pasting appropriate responses on social media (I’ve never admitted this before lol), avoiding small talk... I’ve left social gatherings questioning whether I talked too much about a subject no one else cared about- sometimes I purposely won’t talk at all because I feel like once I start talking it just happens. (Like now?)

Anyway, it’s good to find this forum. There’s so much about my childhood that I’m thinking back on that makes sense now. Looking forward to learning more.
CS
Oh wow..and welcome :). I got diagnosed at 45yrs old. Enjoy this forum!

Be sure and read over the thread "What flags did you miss". :) Welcome and hello.

New Threads

Top Bottom