• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Well with my soul.

Wikipedia blurb:
This hymn was written after traumatic events in Spafford’s life. The first was the 1871 Great Chicago Fire which ruined him financially (he had been a successful lawyer and had invested significantly in property in the area of Chicago which was decimated by the great fire). His business interests were further hit by the economic downturn of 1873 at which time he had planned to travel to Europe with his family on the SS Ville du Havre. In a late change of plan, he sent the family ahead while he was delayed on business concerning zoning problems following the Great Chicago Fire. While crossing the Atlantic, the ship sank rapidly after a collision with a sea vessel, the Loch Earn, and all four of Spafford's daughters died. His wife Anna survived and sent him the now famous telegram, "Saved alone …". Shortly afterwards, as Spafford traveled to meet his grieving wife, he was inspired to write these words as his ship passed near where his daughters had died.

It is well with my soul ( Chris Rice ) - YouTube
I have always loved this Hymn, and it never fails to move me. Sometimes it's all I can do not to cry when I sing it. Another song that chokes me up is Danny Boy accompanied by the bagpipes. It gets me every time.

This song has a unique stoic unemotional -or rather, a kind of happy quality, that actually makes the sadness more powerful

Last edited:
Lovely! your voice is reminding me of someone else and I can't for the life think of whom! Thanks for sharing. :)

Thanks wyverary a lot of people think I'm a little similar to Nick Cave. I love Nick Cave so I think that is a complement. I recorded many more if you want to hear them. I love & need music & particularly 'sad' music it comforts me.

Vast- One More Day, Marina And The Diamonds- Starring Role, Rem Everybody hurts, Amy Studt Nobody, etc

Mad World- Gary Jules cover.
Radiohead- Paranoid Android
Elliott Smith- Miss Misery

I love those songs so much...

[QUOTE="stanmgk, post: 88004, member: 3388"
Elliott Smith- Miss Misery

I love those songs so much...[/QUOTE]
Oh, for sadness, you can't beat Elliott Smith!

Here's one from an artist not usually prone to melancholy:
Jenny Lewis
"Rabbit Fur Coat"

The Ave Maria, and Dona Nobis Pacem absolutely slay me when in a certain slower tempo, even though I'm not religious.

And then there is this one which just wrecks me but it is really enjoyable to sing.

The Ave Maria, and Dona Nobis Pacem absolutely slay me when in a certain slower tempo, even though I'm not religious.

And then there is this one which just wrecks me but it is really enjoyable to sing.

Have you heard the version on this cover album? The only bit I could find on YouTube is live and the audio quality is very poor. I went through a period where I listened to it over and over and over... Haunting.

But yeah...I love me some Magnetic Fields!

Yes, wyverary, that's a good one too! I love MF's as well, they are one of my 'only one music will do' mood things to listen to. It definitely is a haunting song and is beautiful for choral ensembles. I hadn't heard that before, so thank you. I can still hear the beauty beyond the poor audio (I have poor audio setup myself for recording, so I'm used to tuning out white noise etc). I like to sing the harmony and I actually recorded myself singing that song a few weeks ago just for fun. I love that Neil Young album too, I wore that one out and again, sang along. CSNY and solo Neil is how I learned to sing harmony as a young girl, I was just pulled toward harmony because it made everything sound so pretty. I sing harmony on like, everything, whether it had it originally or not. :)

I listen to songs and albums over and over again as well. That's an aspie thing, isn't it? I just get in this headspace where I -must- listen to this or that over and over, and it is really hard to break out of that cycle of musical hyperfocus. My last.fm archive is quite funny because there will be stretches where the same song or series of songs are played repeatedly, sometimes for hours. Sometimes a song just fits or sets the mood perfectly, and I need it. :)

Here is another of my favorite sad songs.

Last edited:
. I sing harmony on like, everything, whether it had it originally or not. :)

I listen to songs and albums over and over again as well. That's an aspie thing, isn't it? I just get in this headspace where I -must- listen to this or that over and over, and it is really hard to break out of that cycle of musical hyperfocus. My last.fm archive is quite funny because there will be stretches where the same song or series of songs are played repeatedly, sometimes for hours. Sometimes a song just fits or sets the mood perfectly, and I need it. :)
Same here! In fact, that's one of the reasons I stopped using last.fm...I didn't want people privy to this strange tendency of mine! I sing along in harmony all the time...when harmony parts already exist, I simply add new ones. It's a fun way to listen to music.

New Threads

Top Bottom