• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

wyverary

V.I.P Member
Whether it's music to accompany a recent breakup, or to play at a funeral, or to convert your mood from Euphoric-Party Mode to Now-I-just-want-to-die-in-a-rainy-gutter-clutching-an-empty-bottle-of-cheap-bourbon Mode, or if it's just something that for whatever reason brings tears to your eyes every gosh-darned time...why don't we all dig into our libraries and bring up something that can kill any mood on any occasion?

I'll start out with a couple:

M. Ward and Lucinda Williams covering "Oh Lonesome Me"
If you want to turn a sad song into a REALLY SAD song, bring in Lucinda Williams!

Joanna Newsom
"Only Skin"
Having listened to it over and over and over again, I'm convinced it's a song about death, and the haunting melodies and arrangements tend to reduce me to tears if I'm vulnerable enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
I knew a woman who, after her husband died, would spend her time listening to sad music. Her sister couldn't understand why. But I do.

Whether it's music to accompany a recent breakup, or to play at a funeral, or to convert your mood from Euphoric-Party Mode to Now-I-just-want-to-die-in-a-rainy-gutter-clutching-an-empty-bottle-of-cheap-bourbon Mode, or if it's just something that for whatever reason brings tears to your eyes every gosh-darned time...why don't we all dig into our libraries and bring up something that can kill any mood on any occasion?

I'll start out with a couple:

M. Ward and Lucinda Williams covering "Oh Lonesome Me"
If you want to turn a sad song into a REALLY SAD song, bring in Lucinda Williams!

Joanna Newsom
"Only Skin"
Having listened to it over and over and over again, I'm convinced it's a song about death, and the haunting melodies and arrangements tend to reduce me to tears if I'm vulnerable enough.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! Oh, CRAP, WYV: I laughed so hard I almost spilled my blackberry wine & popcorn! You're a hoot!!! I gotta go find a sad song...As an emotionally dulled & clueless type, I don't think I know any! There are songs I DESPISE (anything by the EEeeevil BURT BACHARACK or Baccarat or backpack or knapsack or packrat or backrack or whatever the hell his name was...) BUT that does not make the songs themselves sad; their existence, however is tragically sad...Hmmm....

It's not a song just music but I think this is a good candidate for bringing tears to the eyes.

Well with my soul.

Wikipedia blurb:
This hymn was written after traumatic events in Spafford’s life. The first was the 1871 Great Chicago Fire which ruined him financially (he had been a successful lawyer and had invested significantly in property in the area of Chicago which was decimated by the great fire). His business interests were further hit by the economic downturn of 1873 at which time he had planned to travel to Europe with his family on the SS Ville du Havre. In a late change of plan, he sent the family ahead while he was delayed on business concerning zoning problems following the Great Chicago Fire. While crossing the Atlantic, the ship sank rapidly after a collision with a sea vessel, the Loch Earn, and all four of Spafford's daughters died. His wife Anna survived and sent him the now famous telegram, "Saved alone …". Shortly afterwards, as Spafford traveled to meet his grieving wife, he was inspired to write these words as his ship passed near where his daughters had died.

It is well with my soul ( Chris Rice ) - YouTube

Here's more Joanna Newsom. I swear, she isn't always this depressing! She's just very poetic about whatever theme she writes about.

Joanna Newsom
"Does Not Suffice"

And Christy's post reminded me of the title track from Bob Dylan's Tempest. It's not on YouTube, but if you can seek it out, it is worth a listen.

Here's another one:

Amanda Palmer
"The Bed Song"

No one's posted any Tom Waits yet? Well, I'll fix that right now! :biggrin:

"Tom Traubert's Blues"

I think I like you wy (; - for Tom Waits, personally, I cant listen to San Diego Serenade without wanting to cry, but if we are just going mood killers, Id say no song is full of more awkward lament ever than -Violent Femmes-Johnny.

If you like Amanda palmer, and that beautiful sorrow, type sound. You have to go with some bright eyes. I loved that Amanda palmer video btw. Its funny cause there is actually a video of amanda palmer covering this bright eyes song too. But Conor Oberst just emotes in this song.

I love this thread-

Sub-thread- There is a pattern here. I mean the pattern is "sad songs" BUT in addition, the pattern is
all of these artists have A) really unique voices B) a CONSISTENT beautiful sorrow/melancholic saddness tone to their voice.
That is the precise reason ,I love Tom Waits, Conor O'bierst(bright eyes) ,Bobby Dylan, Lucinda Williams, Amanda Palmer,newsom. Is that too "Meta" or esoteric? I realize besides Dylan and Waits these bands may be obscure.I guess in a nutshell: My Sub-thread is:Who is the saddest singer you know?

I think Brett Dennen and Ray Lamontagne should be added to this list of Sad Songsters and Sorrowful Sirens.

The saddest singer I know? Easy:

Lucinda Williams
"Fancy Funeral"

That is a beautifully sad song. I've always liked Lucinda Williams. Sometimes when I'm in a sad kind of mood, I find sad classical music, like requiems and tragic operas, extra beautiful .

like : Regnava nel silenzio quando rapito in estas :
from the opera Lucia di Lammermoor

I cant post a vid on my ipad, but I defy anyone to listen to that, and not be moved by its beautiful sorrow.

How wonderfully Melancholia these songs.... Was Beethoven the First "Emo" kid. Me thinks perhaps he was, I do.
Beethoven- Moonlight Sonata.

This one reminds me of Lyida Deets, in her room in Beatle Juice, writing " I am alone, I am utterly alone"

Probably not quite as depressing as some of the other songs posted here, but it's certainly got the melancholia going for it.

Rilo Kiley
"Pictures of Success"

Love this band. Johnette is a beauty. Great songs, mostly under the overriding theme of loss of innocence. Moving.

It's not a particularly emotional song, but who doesn't love a good sad story?

The Decemberists
"Eli, the Barrow Boy"

New Threads

Top Bottom