• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Reaching out, messages, likes And Suspicion?

Are messages and contact bothersome on this website?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 21 95.5%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Member specific

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Rocco

Wandering Trainwreck
V.I.P Member
So it is probably no surprise to most members here that I reach out to people a lot.

I message people, write things in profile pages, extend well wishes or birthday wishes and click the like buttons a lot.

Over the years I have read many statements by fellow aspies expressing suspicion when people seem extra nice to them, or make comments/ questions.

This caused a sudden epiphany that my actions may be perceived as suspicious or as harassment by some members.
I sincerely hope this is not the case! But just incase...

I write this as a disclaimer. I do not want anything from people here, and have no ulterior motives for my friendliness.

My motive is to spread cheer, joy, smiles, happiness, positive energy like a good virus.

I like to make people feel special, or draw attention to their positive traits. I try to stay in touch with people and make new contact as well. I care for the members of this community and so I am, in a way, extroverted online. I try to stay in contact with people who have made an impression upon me, any followers, or to say happy birthday to people when their name pops up in "today's birthdays" on the "Members" page.

I believe attention should be given to new members to make them feel welcome and comfortable here. It makes me sad to see introductions anywhere with only one or two replies.
So I make an effort to cultivate a positive experience for people who struggle with life.

I do these things to spread positive energy. The members of this site are my social network, characters in my life who have helped me indirectly and directly with issues I have or have faced.
Thank you everyone.

In the least creepy way possible I wish to express the feeling of caring and affection I have for all of you here.

I don't know that I have expressed all of this properly, but if you dislike such contact let me know.

Best wishes
Rocco

I appreciate there are those like Rocco here who can overcome what is often so problematic for me and others. But then I've been here long enough to know Rocco is a good and sincere dude....and has only the best intentions.

We need more Roccos. I just wish I had more positive energy to spread around like he does. ;)

I was quite confused when you wished me a happy birthday! I really didnt know how to respond and after thinking for some time how to, I ended up deciding if I should or not... I'm sure you know what happened next heh.

I guess I am quite suspicious of people. If it's a friend it's ok but a random person I dont know? What the hell? What do they want? Hah.

As long as you do it with good intentions (I believe you do), then carry on! I believe even after a misunderstanding, if you express good intentions, things can be salvaged. If it can't be then that person isn't worth your time anyway. :D

You were one of the first to welcome me here and I look for you every time I return. Keep doing what your doing!:)

I agree with Omega! When I came her I thought wow, I got a welcome AND an artwork! WOW!
But I agree that some of us have been burnt by people who appear nice at first so we may be wary.

Rocco, your heart beams sunshine to those who need it, even as you respond to the challenges in your own life. Thank you for your kindness here. Many of us tend toward awkwardness offline, and I for one am delighted for the positivity and support you express here. This forum is an oasis of understanding a people accustomed to being misunderstood, and you bring lightness with your greetings and gorgeous artwork! Thank you, Rocco. :tulip:

I knew that about you Rocco the first time I came here, it's something I've understood from the beginning. Some people actually shine in real life, and you're one of them.

Over the years I have read many statements by fellow aspies expressing suspicion when people seem extra nice to them, or make comments/ questions.
This caused a sudden epiphany that my actions may be perceived as suspicious or as harassment by some members.
I sincerely hope this is not the case! But just incase...

6d277956ee1507f411c6eaa627082cea.jpg

Rocco if you could see how happy I felt when I read that you seemed to be feeling better recently, you would know that of all people I've met online And in real life, you are one of The Best People Ever. Please don't change, I mean unless you need to, as you have uplifted & taught me much.

> Consider the rest of this post filled with Likes and Friendlies. <

I don't think that there's any way that hitting like and karma buttons can ever be annoying or offensive to anyone. Greeting new members and sending them a painting is very friendly. About the birthday wishes... well, I only ever send birthday greetings to close friends and family, and it seems strange to me if someone I don't know or haven't otherwise spoken to suddenly sends me a birthday greeting to me. If you send a greeting to absolutely everyone, it's not a bad thing to do, but it may seem less personal and they may think that it doesn't mean anything, or that it's spammy and they will just ignore it.

Somehow I missed this thread.
I often reach out to others who I feel need a boost,so no,my answer is that I am never upset when others give me attention and love to reciprocate those feelings. :)

Rocco, your heart beams sunshine to those who need it, even as you respond to the challenges in your own life. Thank you for your kindness here. Many of us tend toward awkwardness offline, and I for one am delighted for the positivity and support you express here. This forum is an oasis of understanding a people accustomed to being misunderstood, and you bring lightness with your greetings and gorgeous artwork! Thank you, Rocco. :tulip:

^^^ This this this

You are a real genuine man who ads so much warmth to this site as does warmheart, whom is just as awesome, many of us on the spectrum find day to day life very awkward and it is just such a great feeling to have people reach out here and want to engage with ya and be friendly and easy going with no pressure or expectations, dude you rule :)

btw people i happen to own two of Roccos beautiful paintings one of which he actually had me in mind for when he painted it, a more genuine and thoughtful man you will not find. Cheers for the paintings bro i have them proudly on display in my living room :)

Last edited:
Love you Rocco you're always brings a smile and a little warmth to everyone here. We all need that, even if we think we don't.

I try to reach out in my own way, not always so good at it as you are, I don't patrol the newcomers like you do :)

Some of us can't reach out, can't ask for a smile or a hug so, I think it's great that you offer them freely.

I am more than happy to be approached online. I think you have some really cool stuff, Rocco, even if I don't necessarily talk to you directly.

New Threads

Top Bottom