• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Please help me. Last year of IB now

Arnance

Hi, my name is Albert

I'm 18 years old, and was diagnosed back in May, which is quite a late diagnosis.
I am currently attending my 6th school, in the fifth country I'm living in, and am currently in my last year of IB. I did redo a year of IB as I had switched schools. The last one was terrible, and I was regarded as a social outcast.

My chosen subjects, are:
- HL Physics
- HL Maths
- HL Economics
- SL English lang/lit
- SL DT
- AB French

I was shown my predicted grades, of which add up to 29 points. I don't feel good about such a low point count (I might be selfish as others get lower), but those are the subjects, which in relation to other subjects, are my preferred ones. I want to go on to studying computer science, as I am a big video game lover, and wish to start to make them. And as I'm not very proficient in the arts, I plan on doing coding. However, all of the universities I have found, and considering how difficult coding is, 29 points just doesn't seem amazing in order to get into any of them, as the ones in Canada that I have looked at (Waterloo, Concordia, British Colombia) require 34-ish points, at a minimum.

I don't know where to go from here. I do mainly blame my lack of interest in the subjects I study, as I am well known for doing well in areas I have a spark for, where I drop a lot in areas I find less interesting. It is also very difficult sometimes to keep the motivation up, as when I do poorly, I just think that it will keep going, at it gets worse. And it doesn't help when others come with the cliché expression of "just think positively" because it has never helped. This may be due to depression (clinically diagnosed, on top of the Asperger's syndrome).

Does anyone know anything of what I am going through? Is IB actually a good pick for me? What can I do to get into any of these unis?

Ask questions if needed.

Thanks in advance.
- Albert

18 isn't a particularly advanced age to receive a diagnosis of ASD.
There are many people who are diagnosed in their 40s, 50s, 60s......
Some are diagnosed as children.
Some never receive a formal diagnosis.

You want to go to a university after finishing....prep school/high school.

HL = Higher Level
SL = Standard Level

I don't know what AB or DT stand for. What do those abbreviations mean?

You're concerned about your grade point average and wonder if you score high
enough to get into any school that you've been considering.

18 isn't a particularly advanced age to receive a diagnosis of ASD.
There are many people who are diagnosed in their 40s, 50s, 60s......
Some are diagnosed as children.
Some never receive a formal diagnosis.

You want to go to a university after finishing....prep school/high school.

HL = Higher Level
SL = Standard Level

I don't know what AB or DT stand for. What do those abbreviations mean?

You're concerned about your grade point average and wonder if you score high
enough to get into any school that you've been considering.

AB is another way of saying AB initio. You learn the language, in this case French, from scratch.
DT is Design & Technology; it links to architecture and product design

And yes, I am quite frightened as to where I should be going after Highschool, as I don't seem to be getting the grades that are matching what I should be getting (based on proficiency tests [IQ, etc.] and will need to get in order to get into university.

You might consider attending a junior college or community college
for the first two years, instead of trying to go directly into a university.

The standard of education is comparable, but the entrance requirements
may not be as stringent.

I am speaking from the perspective of a person who lives in the USA.
I have attended jr. col., university, and have a master's degree.

You might consider attending a junior college or community college
for the first two years, instead of trying to go directly into a university.

The standard of education is comparable, but the entrance requirements
may not be as stringent.

I am speaking from the perspective of a person who lives in the USA.
I have attended jr. col., university, and have a master's degree.

I have never lived in the USA, nor do I plan on doing so. I will most likely be going to Europe or Canada

How viable would online courses be in order to get experience from that, and then potentially go to university after that?

Are you attending a physical (non-internet) school now?

If so, why not consult with the school's guidance department
regarding your concerns?

I have never lived in the USA, nor do I plan on doing so. I will most likely be going to Europe or Canada

How viable would online courses be in order to get experience from that, and then potentially go to university after that?
I will be doing online courses starting this winter since community college was too stressful to me. The online school is a 4-year University.

New Threads

Top Bottom