• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Plane friendly stim toys

Lady Penelope

I'm worried that if I take some of my stim toys on international flight in on board cabin they will be confiscated at security. I have no evidence they will and have googled for possible restrictions. But does anyone know of any restrictions placed on stim toys by airlines?

Is putty a no-go? Is it classified as flammable?

The metal rings with spikes? Is this going to be confiscated as a weapon or can it pass as jewellery?

Will squishy toys that have liquid in them explode in flight under cabin pressure? Do they count as liquid?

Am I being ridiculous? Overthinking this?

Am I safe to pack the stim toys I want without fear they will be confiscated at security and cause a mini meltdown, the exact thing they are designed to avoid?

Anyone had any experience of stim toys being confiscated?

Travelling from Australia to Europe btw.

Tricky one that, I would only take those which you are sure won't be considered a security risk, if they contain liquid, they almost certainly will be. Perhaps there is an information desk at the airport you could go to, show them and ask, before you check in?

If you like the squishy things to handle, i wonder if some kind of gel based medical device would be more likely to get through security, im thinking of knee braces or elbow and wrist gel packs that you put in the fridge and use as a cold pack.
Since they have a pupose in the NT mind, they will see it as useful and not confiscate. I dont fly so i have no idea, but from what ive read there has been a recent loosening of restrictions.

Personally, with all the terrorism going on etc, I am afraid, that your thoughts probably are not overactive!

Is there anything you can take that does not have liquid or spikes on?

What you could try doing is letting them know of your situation and thus, they will know what to expect.

Opps too fast reading and did not see where you are going to.

Europe has a lot of issues with terrorism and thus, you would really have to check beforehand and if you explain and can prove you have aspergers, perhaps they will be more accommodating.

You should be able to put anything questionable in your checked baggage. That will be scanned, and if there are suspicions, it will be opened and manually checked. If you label everything that might be of concern, that would likely help.

The only thing you really might need to be careful of is what you plan to take in your carry-on bag. That is where the greatest suspicions arise because it is also where the greatest threat to the flight exists.

Carry-on bags are subject to scanning and examination which ought to mean that genuine items like squishy toys with liquid inside are not regarded as a threat and would be ok, but a metal ring with spikes might be considered a problem. It should be OK to pack that in checked baggage though.

LankyPositiveBlackwidowspider-small.gif

The only thing that would pass are the all foam squishy toys. No metal spiked anything, no putty, no liquids. At USA airports they confiscate fingernail clippers!

From the thread title, I was going to suggest rings, but rings with spikes? I don't think that'll fly (pun most definitely intended).

Thing is, in that sort of environment, anything that could ever possibly be a weapon is a weapon. I'm still sticking with rings as the best plane-friendly stim toy, just not rings with spikes.

PS For stimming, I find rings with so-called "Comfort Fit" bands to be even better than regular rings for stimming, if you're a serial ring-stimmer. The inside of the band is rounded so it doesn't pinch; ever since I got one, I can't go back to regular rings, comfort fit bands are so much better.

I have a fidget cube and a metal slinky (plastic doesn't do it for me, I have to have the feel of the metal on my skin) that i bring with me on flights. Fidget cube has 6 sides with a variety of different textutes.

I'm in heaven

I have a fidget cube and a metal slinky (plastic doesn't do it for me, I have to have the feel of the metal on my skin) that i bring with me on flights. Fidget cube has 6 sides with a variety of different textutes.

I'm in heaven

I have a mini metal slinky I'd like to take but thought it would be confiscated due to being metal and 'sharp metal ends'....
I have a fidget cube I'll be taking :D

Thanks for all the replies!!!

I prefer squishy things and something hard with spikes, but I'll look for a hard plastic instead of metal. I also have some spinner rings I forgot I had (I cycle through stim toys), so thanks for the reminder!

I'm going to try to take a mini putty (not my favourite in case it's confiscated) and see if it passes security...

Who knew it would be this complicated to pack "toys"?! o_O

If anyone has any other suggestions keep them coming!

I have a mini metal slinky I'd like to take but thought it would be confiscated due to being metal and 'sharp metal ends'....
I have a fidget cube I'll be taking :D

Metal anything is risky because TSA could assume a metal fidget spinner could be hurled through the air, or hurt someone is hit with it. I mean they remove nail clippers from people, so c’mon, you really think they will let you keep your metal fidget spinner?

You could get lucky though- a friend bought embroidery needles and sewing scissors and used them throughout a long international flight last year. Officials were supposed to confiscate the scissors, but did not.

Metal anything is risky because TSA could assume a metal fidget spinner could be hurled through the air, or hurt someone is hit with it. I mean they remove nail clippers from people, so c’mon, you really think they will let you keep your metal fidget spinner?

You could get lucky though- a friend bought embroidery needles and sewing scissors and used them throughout a long international flight last year. Officials were supposed to confiscate the scissors, but did not.

That's what I'm worried about. Metal, liquid, squishy whatnots.... it got overwhelming cos i can see each of them potentially being used as or a disguise for possible weapons. I know; a squishy dinosaur or unicorn taking over the plane, how ridiculous... but what if some nutter had c4 in it not whatever mine have inside them?

I don't know... i overthink...
I'll probably take a fidget cube a smooth stone and a spinner ring and call it a day. If i can find a small soft thing that has innocent insides great. And if i meltdown ... meh. I'm sure security have seen worse.

Then again, they let you take gum and lollies though... they could be swapped for explosives too... stop!!!!

That's what I'm worried about. Metal, liquid, squishy whatnots.... it got overwhelming cos i can see each of them potentially being used as or a disguise for possible weapons. I know; a squishy dinosaur or unicorn taking over the plane, how ridiculous... but what if some nutter had c4 in it not whatever mine have inside them?

I don't know... i overthink...
I'll probably take a fidget cube a smooth stone and a spinner ring and call it a day. If i can find a small soft thing that has innocent insides great. And if i meltdown ... meh. I'm sure security have seen worse.

Then again, they let you take gum and lollies though... they could be swapped for explosives too... stop!!!!

Ha ha, your mind is runnIng away! I collect squishys. Did not know there are some with liquid in them. Are you sure? All of mine are foam only.

Ha ha, your mind is runnIng away! I collect squishys. Did not know there are some with liquid in them. Are you sure? All of mine are foam only.
I have lots with liquid in them. They rebound quicker than foam. In some the liquid is in lots of little balls within the squishy. I'm concerned that even if they pass security they might explode in flight or warp in some horrendous way. I thought about taking a stress ball but i have no idea what's inside them.

New Threads

Top Bottom