• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My Birthday coming up: ideas for how to avoid it?

Ste11aeres

My birthday will be here in less than a month.
Of course, the ideal thing to happen would be that my family would completely forget it and leave me alone on that day.
Since that might not happen, any ideas on how to communicate to them the idea that it's best that they ignore the fact of my birthday?

Have you considered hiding?

In all seriousness; can't you tell them that you don't have any interest in these things and would prefer them to just treat it as any other day?

I told them I don't want to celebrate my birthday as I haven't done anything yet worthy of celebration. (I'm not saying that that's your case, just telling my insight).

Another vote for going into hiding for the day. Seems easier than trying to make people understand that you've no interest in their rituals. But then I guess you'd have to deal with anger/irritation over money wasted on gifts and stuff.

E-mail everyone?

By the way, I don't think that there's ever been, in the history of words, a sentence that so clearly and succinctly encapsulates introversion as well as this thread title. It's an item of beauty.

Uh ... tell them two out of three cats recommend doing nothing on your birthday, and the third one was asleep at the time of consultation? o_O

Hide in bed and turn your phone off. You know that box that's connected to the doorbell that usually hangs over the front door? If you stuff a sock between the "hammer" and the metal piece it strikes at you'll at most hear a click. Of course, if there is a battery in it, disconnecting that will yield better results.

Be prepared to defend your unavailability the next day.

I avoid my birthday
My father text messages me on my birthday now...laughs,some of my family even calls me
I wear the crown of master procrastinator of trivial junk,but put in phone time on my dad's and siblings birthdays
They know my routine and have accepted it as one of my quirks

Tape a note on your door.

''All presents left outside this door must not contain congratulatory messages. Cake must be placed inside the fridge in its original state.''

I'd politely ask them not to do anything.

My family has a "officially not birthday-related" dinner around my birthday. It amuses me too much to fight it. And I like to eat.

I need a little more information here, what is it you fear would happen, and is there anything you'd find acceptable for them to do?

For instance, I'd hate to have a surprise party thrown in my name, but my boyfriend kidnapping me on a weekend trip to Rome would be perfectly fine. Now I need to figure out a way how to make him to actually take me on a trip to Rome for my birthday.

I'm kind of dreading my birthday. I'll be 30. I don't have much people in my life often. I'll probably be working it or celebrating it somehow on another day like with a colleague/friend. Will just see it as another day that I'm healthy and alive.

Gah, I'm turning 25 soon.
At least I can rent a car without that annoying "under 25 driver" fee...

I've already blown off an invitation, gonna blame it on the old trusty "got food poisoning" excuse. Maybe an added benefit of ignoring your birthday means it doesn't happen? (wishful thinking)

Maybe tell everyone you're treating yourself to a day alone on your birthday? And if they want to help you celebrate, you would appreciate a gas gift card, a gift card to a great restaurant, or a Visa gift card. Then plan a road trip that day just for yourself.

And turn off your phone.

You need to emulate me more strictly, nobody knows when my birthday is (I do not even know if I prefer it that way or not, but nobody bothers me on it for sure). If I did not have a job and the internet I would be a full blown hermit, that is how little people go out of their way to interact with me. (aka no birthdays, no people coming over to where I live, nadda)

I'd just outright tell them what you prefer. My preference for birthdays is to go out to eat with my family. We don't eat at nice restaurants often, so it's a real treat, but still very low key. If your family really wants to do something for you, maybe you can point them toward something that's comfortable for you? It wouldn't necessarily be a dinner. Just whatever you think would be relaxing. ;) That way they're doing something and hopefully it won't be over the top or uncomfortable for you.

My birthday will be here in less than a month.
Of course, the ideal thing to happen would be that my family would completely forget it and leave me alone on that day.
Since that might not happen, any ideas on how to communicate to them the idea that it's best that they ignore the fact of my birthday?
Go out of town for the day

Most of the time, when my birthday comes around, I'm told to go fsck myself. The only people who don't are the elderly and the clergy.

I agree with those who say to turn off your phone.

I used to love birthdays, and I had one or two great ones during my teenage years. Nowadays, well...my last birthday, I didn't even realize it WAS my birthday until my mom took me out to a nice (yet reasonably priced) bistro and said "Happy birthday!"

I don't have my birthday listed on my Facebook profile, so I don't get a huge influx of insincere messages when it rolls around. These days, I prefer to be left alone. I might do something nice for myself - buy something I've been eyeing for a while, watch a favorite movie (or, if I'm feeling bold, go to the cinema to see one)...unless I"m working on my birthday. In which case I dont tell my co-workers. I like my birthdays to be about me these days, and I don't like a lot of outside interference.

New Threads

Top Bottom