• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Kids obsessed with Sephora

DaisyRose

V.I.P Member
Has anyone seen kids shopping with their parents credit cards to get Sephora products? It’s very expensive and kids are paying up to 500 dollars. I’m disturbed that kids these days are following these trends on social media. Am I the only one who thinks this? I didn’t even know what the drunk elephant was till I read this article.

I don't live near a Sephora shop, so no - but in general I think it is better to have a preset limit when letting a child loose in a shop if they aren't old enough to be on a budget and manage their own money.

I was a bit shocked to read that article that kids are using products that are actually bad for their skin, I would be sad to see my daughter do that.

500 usd sounds like a lot of money to just get for free if that is what they do - I can't help but wonder what kind of relationship to money they will grow up with - not that I haven't spoiled my own kid at times, but she has gotten a fixed weekly amount the last few years.

Personally, never used Sephora, but I guess a lot of the department stores that aren't doing very well think Sephora is going to be their savior.
The Sephora sections that I've seen put in the middle of the stores are now larger than the department store that put them in.

Kohl's and Penney's are two examples here.
I shop those two when I need clothes. Lots of coupons and Clearance.
But since they put in huge Sephora sections, there isn't as much of their regular merchandise areas left.
I guess Sephora is doing well.
Parents should be teaching their children more about quality and money IMO.
But if some wealthy mommy or daddy wants to let their little princess or prince have anything they want... such is life.

I watched an interesting show on tv, they let kids handle the family budget for a month. They had to plan ahead and buy food and pay bills and everything. It could not have gone worse. 5 days later they had bought a lot of useless crap and had no money left to buy food or pay bills.

I watched an interesting show on tv, they let kids handle the family budget for a month. They had to plan ahead and buy food and pay bills and everything. It could not have gone worse. 5 days later they had bought a lot of useless crap and had no money left to buy food or pay bills.
How did they handle that, when they had run out of money?

How did they handle that, when they had run out of money?

Most of them were a little surprised and confused. When they got a full months budget cash in hand, they felt rich. They thought it was a lot of money. Which it wasn't of course, but they bought new phones and clothes for themselves and stuff like that. Splurging.

Has anyone seen kids shopping with their parents credit cards to get Sephora products? It’s very expensive and kids are paying up to 500 dollars. I’m disturbed that kids these days are following these trends on social media. Am I the only one who thinks this? I didn’t even know what the drunk elephant was till I read this article.

I read the story, and although there are some good points, it misses the entire cause of the issue. How many people a decade ago had a skincare "routine". But now, that concept has been sold. Along with the idea of "experiences". Or that you have some natural flair "cooking/sports/photography" that warrants crazy priced equipment. They are not selling you a thing, they're not selling you a brand, they're not even selling you an experience, they are selling you a piece of identity that you buy and sew into your being, like some bizarre patchwork. You see the influencers and celebs, you think "I'd like to be that", you find the props to fabricate that piece of identity, and wrap it into you.

Nobody needs Sephora. It's not selling make-up and skincare, it's selling an identity. Of course kids mimic their elders, and their elders are trying to convince themselves that they are the person who finds value in a retinol serum costing $200.

the South Park fan in me wants an episode satirizing this topic. Or maybe a paramount + special.

Anyways, kids don’t need the skincare routines of adults as they risk damaging skin.

Most of them were a little surprised and confused. When they got a full months budget cash in hand, they felt rich. They thought it was a lot of money. Which it wasn't of course, but they bought new phones and clothes for themselves and stuff like that. Splurging.
From one news video I watched on the topic, it was the parents’ money most of the time. Not moneys from the preteen themself.

From one news video I watched on the topic, it was the parents’ money most of the time. Not moneys from the preteen themself.

Yes, it was the familys budget, the parents gave the kids all the money the parents would normally use during one month. And then the kids were supposed to buy the food and pay the bills. It was a local tv series I watched some time ago. I remember one girl was upset because she had to pay for electricity and she didn't want to spend money on that. She didn't know her parents paid an electricity bill every month. :)

I read the story, and although there are some good points, it misses the entire cause of the issue. How many people a decade ago had a skincare "routine". But now, that concept has been sold. Along with the idea of "experiences". Or that you have some natural flair "cooking/sports/photography" that warrants crazy priced equipment. They are not selling you a thing, they're not selling you a brand, they're not even selling you an experience, they are selling you a piece of identity that you buy and sew into your being, like some bizarre patchwork. You see the influencers and celebs, you think "I'd like to be that", you find the props to fabricate that piece of identity, and wrap it into you.

Nobody needs Sephora. It's not selling make-up and skincare, it's selling an identity. Of course kids mimic their elders, and their elders are trying to convince themselves that they are the person who finds value in a retinol serum costing $200.
Sephora is not the only company guilty of this. How many people buy LuluLemon, or worse Supreme, for the exact same reason?

Speaking of Supreme, I once read an article related to vaping concerns that showed a photo of a dude decked out in Supreme gear vaping a Juul, and all I could think of was "did the article writer just use the dictionary picture for 'douche' here?"

I feel better that I’m not the only person who thinks kids should stay away from skincare products. It’s setting up a bad image for kids thinking they shouldn’t have wrinkles and age spots when they’re literal children. Children should not be thinking about things like this at their ages. They got more important things to worry about.

I feel better that I’m not the only person who thinks kids should stay away from skincare products. It’s setting up a bad image for kids thinking they shouldn’t have wrinkles and age spots when they’re literal children. Children should not be thinking about things like this at their ages. They got more important things to worry about.

Sephora is an old French brand and expensive, so it has that French luxury 'feel' to it. Gotta be expensive and fancy. Next week it will be something else, something is always trending.

Some time ago I read about an energy drink called Prime, kids were buying empty Prime bottles for a lot of money, just to show off the bottles. I still don't understand that trend or what that was about. It was just weird.

Last edited:
What I find most disturbing is the very notion of any parent allowing their child access to any of their credit cards- PERIOD. :eek:

Seen many popular products and fads come and go. It's good to have a healthy scepticism about things and look under the hype. I also have a natural instinct not to jump into something just because the crowd is.

Godzilla always steps where the crowd is largest.

;)

My daughter was big on books, gaming, and crafting. Makeup had no value to add entertainment to her life. But we as a mom and daughter, met a young tween who was being groomed by her mother to be "pretty", which involved nails, hair, clothes. I guess l was grooming my daughter to be critical thinker, intelligent, and independent.

My daughter was big on books, gaming, and crafting. Makeup has no value to add entertainment to her life. But we as a mom and daughter, met a young tween who was being groomed by her mother to be "pretty", which involved nails, hair, clothes. I guess l was grooming my daughter to be critical thinker, intelligent, and independent.
There is way too much social pressure on ladies to waste time on their face and hair.

Half the kids in any Western economy today are going to be spendthrifts and their parents enablers. Or a least that is what it seems to those of us who aren't. ;)

Back in the late 70s and early 80s, I hung out at a wargaming shop. Kids in their tweens and teens would walk in and think nothing of dropping a hundred bucks on Squad Leader and all the expansion boxes: Cross of Iron, Crescendo of Doom, GI Anvil of Victory, and all the variants and extra scenarios. Or they'd drop money on every D&D product ever made, and hordes of dice and figures. Or maybe buy an entire army, hand painted, for Napoleonics.

Some did all the above.

"Thank God for kids who are made out of money." is what he would say.

5 days later they had bought a lot of useless crap and had no money left to buy food or pay bills.
That is my ASD2 son (36). Fortunately, he has a rep payee who pays most of his bills before handing him the remainder of his money. He still needs to buy his food & cleaning supplies,... or not.
full

I saw a girl that was about nine, she was in the mall. Chewing gum while wearing Lululemon with a full damn face of makeup holding Starbucks. She walked into Sephora and I did too, as my mom needed to get something. I was wearing noise cancelling headphones and sunglasses while holding my safe object (a stuffed animal opossum.) She tapped me on the shoulder which immediately set off a reaction (I started to cry.) She ripped the headphones off of my head, and said "Are you *f-word*ing autistic?! Is little acoustic baby gonna cry?" Soon after, my mom came back and we left.

New Threads

Top Bottom