• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

ChibiChick

Okay, so I've only recently discovered I might be autistic, and I've been homebound off and on for a good almost 7 years now. I haven't been going out, avoid grocery stores, can't even walk past a certian point without going into a panic attack.
At first, I thought it was because my officially diagnosed "social anxiety" at age 14 had progressed into agoraphobia.
But... a heck of a lot of research and mulling over it later and I think it might actually be sensory overload caused by autism.
Now, what I want to know from you all is if you've ever experienced something like this. If you have, how do you cope? How do you keep your anxiousness under control out in public?
I'm currently trying to overcome my housebound status (or at least be able to function semi-normally out in public without having a full blown panic attack) and get back out into the world again.
I would greatly appreciate anyone's tips or words of wisdom.
Thank you!

Sometimes having a purpose seems to help me. Like, I'm not "going out", I'm going to the store by this exact route and I'm getting these exact things and then I'm coming back home by this route and that's it. If I do something like that, then I have things to focus on besides the being out in public aspect of it, and as long as things go relatively smoothly I can get through it without being too overwhelmed.

I changed my style lately so instead of people mocking me and laughing at my extremely eccentric look at the moment they just weirdly become animals in heat and the worst i got was a lady praying for her gods help but it's probably not me. If it is she is old fashioned and a very small amount to prove that despite still being eccentric and descriptive my style can integrate beyond well. It's not much, just a dress that as my neighbor puts it makes me look 'like from the movies' with some nice accessories. Yeah i could probably design/choose movie outfits.

I have gotten out a lot, but when everyone loves me it's really no longer such an issue. I think part of the cause why Id feel inadequate and loathed was because I was for my clothes. since I achieved the opposite and even women relate with my style [lets be honest, they are less intimidated by legs and have different style preferences which I relate more to, wonder why... ] I just feel less caring about anything else or the past. People aren't good with multiple colors and I guess Im at most advantage in a dress, despite having more of a belly lately. I can work with it in the right dress.

What I use to do recently which reached me by surprise, my psych told me but I didn't really understand what it meant and why I was to do it, but now I read it som. ewhere in different words. So practically dont focus and look at things that make me anxious and I loathe and dont trust, focus on things that please me, such as flowers, admire them and is no issue to focus on it even until you pass... let's say a more anxiety inducing area [goodness knows there are a lot of them], one thing is fine to keep focus on.

Last edited:
In the past the only thing that soothed me was looking down, then you see nothing and then you block a lot of things while just being attentive at your road which was enjoyable and relaxing, cheering. Like driving in games.

But then I read that you should keep your head up to inspire respect and I also learned my city is pretty interesting to look at, but maybe it still is worth relaxing sometimes and looking down. Whos to judge me? Anyhow im much too driven to allow it [and my look would be spoiled without the right manners to compliment it], I want to do what everyone does and heck I have that right. I can stare too.
Especially to make sure they're not actually laughing about me. Sometimes [often] I have the feeling people are laughing at me. It's become a high anxiety trigger, laughter, especially if i think i heard some words that describe me well.

Last edited:
I went through the same situation starting at age 14.
Panic attacks, didn't want to leave the house, homebound highschool.

I didn't know what was causing it, but, I did and do have sensory issues.
I stuffed cotton in my ears back then when I had to go somewhere in the car.
It got better by the time I was ready for University.
But, I was not social.

It returned with a vengence in my 30's when I had some health issues and a hopital stay for the
first time in my life.
The only thing I found that helped was CBT and meditation relaxation practices on a daily basis.
I still wouldn't want to drive a long distance alone, but, through breath and relaxation techniques
I haven't had a severe panic attack in 10 years. And I feel I could handle it if I did.

Like all these posts. Think that focus on said task is important. Like l need the store to get said food items. I do focus on the beauty of the lakes as l make my drive as another poster mentioned. And finally, think out things you need to do and condense them so that you are getting everything done quickly with little redundancy. Operate like a company, run things on extreme efficiency and you will feel more efficient. Then your focus is more on success then over-exposure to common things such as noise, textures and finally - annoying people.

I went through the same situation starting at age 14.
Panic attacks, didn't want to leave the house, homebound highschool.

I didn't know what was causing it, but, I did and do have sensory issues.
I stuffed cotton in my ears back then when I had to go somewhere in the car.
It got better by the time I was ready for University.
But, I was not social.

It returned with a vengence in my 30's when I had some health issues and a hopital stay for the
first time in my life.
The only thing I found that helped was CBT and meditation relaxation practices on a daily basis.
I still wouldn't want to drive a long distance alone, but, through breath and relaxation techniques
I haven't had a severe panic attack in 10 years. And I feel I could handle it if I did.
Wow. Ten years? That's crazy. I'm not sure of I could ever get to that point again now that I know what's ailing me (the last time I was like that was middle school) but, I'm currently trying my best.

I'm in the same boat as you on this, I'm mostly housebound due to my anxiety issues) and have been for most of my life, Was diagnosed with social phobia alongside aspergers, For me it's a natural fear i have but gets worse BY the sensory stuff if that makes sense? So i go outside and i'm already very nervous and anxious, and if there are loud noises etc or bright light it'll make it 10x worse and i get panic attacks set off easier.

There are a few things i do which help a little bit but still haven't managed to find a good for sure method yet, I tap my fingers one by one with my thumb, and count it inside my head, This was a tactic i was actually told by my therapist after i was diagnosed and it's helped a little in a few situations, It works differently for everyone but it's worth a shot! =]

I'm in the same boat as you on this, I'm mostly housebound due to my anxiety issues) and have been for most of my life, Was diagnosed with social phobia alongside aspergers, For me it's a natural fear i have but gets worse BY the sensory stuff if that makes sense? So i go outside and i'm already very nervous and anxious, and if there are loud noises etc or bright light it'll make it 10x worse and i get panic attacks set off easier.

There are a few things i do which help a little bit but still haven't managed to find a good for sure method yet, I tap my fingers one by one with my thumb, and count it inside my head, This was a tactic i was actually told by my therapist after i was diagnosed and it's helped a little in a few situations, It works differently for everyone but it's worth a shot! =]
Thank you for the tip. I might just try those the next time I go out.

New Threads

Top Bottom