• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is Tumblr just sensitive or did I say something wrong?

Caelix3

One time I posted on Tumblr about my little brother who is on the lower end of the spectrum with autism. I said that he had low functioning autism and another person with autism messaged me and said that wasn't nice or appropriate to say. But the doctors and therapists tell my mom all the time that he has low functioning autism. I don't get how it is wrong to say that. Because my little brother is on the lower end of the spectrum, so it is telling the truth.

i am under the category of low functioning autism and i have no problems saying it about myself, i dont see it as a limitation,just a generic label,however....a lot of people see low functioning as having conotations,and think it limits us and people will think we cant do anything.
if people want to take issue with 'low functioning' they need to take issue with high functioning to which states the person is fully able in every manner,really functioning labels shoudnt be taken to seriously they arent a good picture of what the person is like and what they can do, i personally dont mind using them i just dont let them rule my life.

i do take issue when people think im useless when they hear im LFA,one of the support staff in the care facility i live in wont work with me for example as shes only ever worked on pysch wards and thinks i am really hard work because of my labels,shes a lovely support worker i just feel she doesnt see my potential.

I don't think you said nothing wrong. Some people view the whole "high functioning", "low functioning" thing as negative terms but this is really only in a minority of autistic people and advocates. I think some people erroneously believe it's as bad as say the term, "mental retardation" still being used by medical professionals when it really isn't. Low functioning just means you're not as capable of carrying out activities for daily living.

That being said, it's not really as clear cut as high and low functioning. There are some people like Jamie Knight, who are able to work full time jobs at places like the BBC, speak pretty well yet can't manage things like washing themselves and so hire a baby sitter to help them out with these things, so it really isn't that simple.

A lot of people view Tumblr as a hot place for political correction, and that's admirable to a certain extend but there are some people who over do it. If you go there watch how you word yourself, not very autism friendly I'd say.

Last edited:
Tumblr is much more overwhelming and confusing than the NT world. So I avoid it. More than other social media.

A lot of people think functioning labels are offensive, or at least inaccurate, because they divide autistic people into two groups when in reality it's not so black-and-white. "High-functioning" and "low-functioning" traits can coexist in the same person. And "low-functioning" can be used to deny the capabilities of someone who is placed in that category.

What would you suggest I say instead of low-functioning? Would on the lower end of the spectrum be better? Or just autism?

New Threads

Top Bottom