• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Inquiry Re: Depression

Loren

V.I.P Member
I think I might be depressed, but, I'm not sure. In the past, I have had what my therapist referred to as situational depression, however, what I am currently experiencing feels different. When I've been depressed in the past, I felt sad, or had quite negative thoughts/ feelings. Recently, I haven't felt pleasure that I usually experience, however, I haven't had negative thoughts or feelings. Just worry/ anxiety.

Despite some social anxiety I can have when on the forum, I always feel motivated to play in the games, participate in helping others if I am able, and I enjoy being here, interacting. Recently, I've felt completely numb when here. I want to participate, but, I feel nothing, and unable to speak/ write, interact in any way.

I'm wondering if this could be a symptom of depression, perhaps. I have been anxious, of late, and, in the past, if my anxiety has become extreme; of which it doesn't seem to be, at this time, it would evolve into depression, but, as mentioned, it hasn't felt the same. I don't, often, get depressed, but, when I do it can be hard to overcome. Which is neither here nor there, I suppose, as I am just wondering if feeling numb in my mind, could be a symptom of depression.

Forgive me if rambling/ repeating self. And, thank you.

Last edited:
I can’t diagnose you with anything, but I feel very much like that when I’m depressed. I think feeling burned out/uninterested is a major symptom.

If you have a primary care doctor or a psychiatrist, I would definitely mention this to them if I were in your situation, and see if it seems situational or if it’s a longer term thing.

Doing things to take care of yourself helps too :) Make sure you’re eating things you like, exercising if you’re able to, and keeping up with hygiene/self care.

And I’m always here to talk if you need it :)

I really hope you can get some answers and start feeling better soon, Loren!

I can’t diagnose you with anything, but I feel very much like that when I’m depressed. I think feeling burned out/uninterested is a major symptom.

If you have a primary care doctor or a psychiatrist, I would definitely mention this to them if I were in your situation, and see if it seems situational or if it’s a longer term thing.

Doing things to take care of yourself helps too :) Make sure you’re eating things you like, exercising if you’re able to, and keeping up with hygiene/self care.

And I’m always here to talk if you need it :)

I really hope you can get some answers and start feeling better soon, Loren!
Thank you, Luca. That means a lot. I appreciate what you've mentioned, and your offer to talk. Although I am not happy that you have had the same experience, it is helpful to know that you understand what it is I am experiencing. I plan to speak to my therapist about it. She is away, on vacation, presently. Thank you for your help and words of wisdom.

Last edited:
Thank you, Luca. That means a lot. I appreciate what you've mentioned, and your offer to talk. Although I am not happy that you have had the same experience, it is helpful to know that you understand what it is I am experiencing. I plan to speak to my therapist about it. She is away, on vacation, presently. Thank you for your help and words of wisdom.
You’re welcome! I hope you can talk to her soon. :)

Loren don’t ever hesitste to ask for hugs (virtual) &/or conversation.
Some of us live with some pretty tough situations, & it is possible to navigate, & even find ways to emerge from depression.

Hi Loren,

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I've been seeing you as relatively active in discussions over the past few months, whereas when I first joined, you were primarily in the games area, so your interest in participating is correlated to mental health concerns (and loss of interest in usual activities is indeed a potential sign of depression) then I concur with Lucaa and encourage you to speak with your care provider, and of course, we'll all be here for you as well. :)

Loren don’t ever hesitste to ask for hugs (virtual) &/or conversation.
Some of us live with some pretty tough situations, & it is possible to navigate, & even find ways to emerge from depression.
Thank you for your kind words of encouragement, watersprite. I could use a hug at present, so, thank you. And thank you for offering to converse. I'm sorry if you also experience tough situations. I, too, am here if you need/ want a hug, and/ or conversation.

I don't, often, get depressed, but, when I do it can be hard to overcome. Which is neither here nor there, I suppose, as I am just wondering if feeling numb in my mind, could be a symptom of depression.

You might first consider looking up the term apathy in a medical sense. It may answer some of your concerns. A condition that can be linked to depression or be a mental condition unto itself.

Start here...see if any of this applies to you.

What Is Apathy?

Hi Loren,

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I've been seeing you as relatively active in discussions over the past few months, whereas when I first joined, you were primarily in the games area, so your interest in participating is correlated to mental health concerns (and loss of interest in usual activities is indeed a potential sign of depression) then I concur with Lucaa and encourage you to speak with your care provider, and of course, we'll all be here for you as well. :)
Thank you, Victor. You are correct. For a couple years, I primarily played the games. I had so much self-doubt, severe, social anxiety and a lack of self-confidence. I feel I have made a lot of progress in terms of opening up, being more social, and confident enough to attempt to support others, and share my own experiences. Thank you for your thoughts, suggestion and kind words of support.

Last edited:
You might first consider looking up the term apathy in a medical sense. It may answer some of your concerns. A condition that can be linked to depression or be a mental condition unto itself.

Start here...see if any of this applies to you.

What Is Apathy?
Thank you, Judge. I appreciate you sharing this.

I was diagnosed with chronic clinical depression in 1982. It's been a lifelong battle for me. With good days and bad days.
I'm sorry you've had to contend with depression, and hope that the future brings you far more good days than bad.

I'm sorry you've had to contend with depression, and hope that the future brings you far more good days than bad.

Thanks. Your post just resonated with me, thinking about how when I become apathetic over things I love, I usually know I'm up to my eyeballs with my depression. But I always know it ebbs and flows like the tide, and always comes back at some point.

For thinking about depression, it feels like waves in the ocean. It can slowly roll in or it can slam the coastline. And when it leaves, it takes some of ourself away.

I would also say that you seem to connect more with others now, @Loren , which seems like progress and is helping you manage any depression or related condition. It's great to hear more from you!

Hello @Loren--

I don't play as much of the forum games and what-not so I haven't seen all the recent activity you've been in but hey, good for you if you're finding some social activity that feels like it's helping.

The numbness is definitely a symptom of depression--it was much the same for me and I have to say that the numbness is one of the more disorienting things about it. Depression does a good job trying to make us forget who we are and what we're doing.

I do not know you well enough to be able to suggest a good way to combat this, but maybe it's apathy, maybe it's more definable as acedia, or maybe you prefer to call it those low-down blues. Either way it's still fairly common to lose all pleasure in activity you enjoyed before--common enough that it is a diagnostic criteria for major depressive disorder.

Course everyone's here and hoping that you end up better off soon.

I've found (after 30+ years of varying low or depressed states) the less detail I apply in an attempt to identify a specific state or phase,
the sooner I move through it.

I don't ignore any symptoms. I'm aware and acknowledge.

I tend to view any symptoms I experience as a signal I may need to tweak a few things in my day to day activities or find alternative perspectives for something I'm anxious over.
The above assists me in moving through a particular phase.
If I do nothing about it, I know from experience I will spiral and so purposely reach out and seek out alternatives.
(creating choices for myself)

A couple of things I am certain about; generally speaking, is for me,
Any state or mood I experience isn't fixed indefinitely. Owing to this belief I can trust that I will feel differently in a month or so and am no longer afraid of how I feel in any given moment.
(removes the 'drama' and fear)

and secondly,
my success rate stands at 100% - only by a cats' whisker in some instances but I'm still around; hence success at 100% -
rambling and bungling my way through life, messing things up just like so many others :)

I could witter on indefinitely, but I wont.
Instead I will offer a virtual hug/fist bump/nod of acknowledgement - your choice :)
and offer an ear to listen should you so choose,

(the above should probably say 'eyes to read' but that just sounded plain old strange and may not have conveyed the same sentiment :) )

I've been going through this feeling for several months now also.
I come to the forum every night, but, I find myself just doing a lot of reading of posts.
Seems like I don't know what to say and write.
Still grateful it is here even though it's like writer's block currently.

Recently, I haven't felt pleasure that I usually experience, however, I haven't had negative thoughts or feelings. Just worry/ anxiety.
I can go into a depression from my anxiety. And when it is triggered, it’s very difficult to find a way to get out of it as the anxiety whirls and repeats all the negative feelings and thoughts. Worry can be a big factor in this, they are negative thoughts because your brain is focused on the what if, if, why etc. I hope that when you see your therapist, that you can get some more support but I hope that you can be in a less stressful situation soon.
Despite some social anxiety I can have when on the forum, I always feel motivated to play in the games, participate in helping others if I am able, and I enjoy being here, interacting. Recently, I've felt completely numb when here. I want to participate, but, I feel nothing, and unable to speak/ write, interact in any way.
I just want to say Loren, that I always value your well thought out and considerate posts when you’ve responded to anything I’ve posted.

New Threads

Top Bottom