• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Inquiry Re: Depression

I think I might be depressed, but, I'm not sure. In the past, I have had what my therapist referred to as situational depression, however, what I am currently experiencing feels different. When I've been depressed in the past, I felt sad, or had quite negative thoughts/ feelings. Recently, I haven't felt pleasure that I usually experience, however, I haven't had negative thoughts or feelings. Just worry/ anxiety.

Despite some social anxiety I can have when on the forum, I always feel motivated to play in the games, participate in helping others if I am able, and I enjoy being here, interacting. Recently, I've felt completely numb when here. I want to participate, but, I feel nothing, and unable to speak/ write, interact in any way.

I'm wondering if this could be a symptom of depression, perhaps. I have been anxious, of late, and, in the past, if my anxiety has become extreme; of which it doesn't seem to be, at this time, it would evolve into depression, but, as mentioned, it hasn't felt the same. I don't, often, get depressed, but, when I do it can be hard to overcome. Which is neither here nor there, I suppose, as I am just wondering if feeling numb in my mind, could be a symptom of depression.

Forgive me if rambling/ repeating self. And, thank you.
It sounds like moderate unipolar depression as opposed to bipolar disorder or the old term manic depression but I'm not a clinical psychologist who knows a lot about you^-^

My current depression really kicked in after a stroke last year. Mainly just an inability to feel good about much of anything, or even having strong feelings at all. Everything feels flat. Going through CPT, and I have a hard time feeling good about honest, positive, thoughts of what I had to accomplish to overcome traumatic loneliness when younger.

I finally talked to a psychiatrist about any adjunct to my therapy that may help and have been prescribed an antidepressant. We'll see how that goes.

My current depression really kicked in after a stroke last year. Mainly just an inability to feel good about much of anything, or even having strong feelings at all. Everything feels flat. Going through CPT, and I have a hard time feeling good about honest, positive, thoughts of what I had to accomplish to overcome traumatic loneliness when younger.

I finally talked to a psychiatrist about any adjunct to my therapy that may help and have been prescribed an antidepressant. We'll see how that goes.
I hope that you are physically recovering from your stroke.

I hope that you are physically recovering from your stroke.
Thank you. I have recovered for the most part, but have some slight residual coordination issues that I notice XC Skiing. Worst was prior to getting the stenosis reduced when I would get a TIA (transient ischemic attack) when doing something strenuous, like solo canoeing.

I think I might be depressed, but, I'm not sure. In the past, I have had what my therapist referred to as situational depression, however, what I am currently experiencing feels different. When I've been depressed in the past, I felt sad, or had quite negative thoughts/ feelings. Recently, I haven't felt pleasure that I usually experience, however, I haven't had negative thoughts or feelings. Just worry/ anxiety.

Despite some social anxiety I can have when on the forum, I always feel motivated to play in the games, participate in helping others if I am able, and I enjoy being here, interacting. Recently, I've felt completely numb when here. I want to participate, but, I feel nothing, and unable to speak/ write, interact in any way.

I'm wondering if this could be a symptom of depression, perhaps. I have been anxious, of late, and, in the past, if my anxiety has become extreme; of which it doesn't seem to be, at this time, it would evolve into depression, but, as mentioned, it hasn't felt the same. I don't, often, get depressed, but, when I do it can be hard to overcome. Which is neither here nor there, I suppose, as I am just wondering if feeling numb in my mind, could be a symptom of depression.

I'm like that when I'm in panic attack period which is every day for the last 17 years worse after a death so its been worse since June last year

I agree, you should consult a mental health expert on your symptoms.

I'm just trying to give you a simple overview on depression and anxiety as symptoms can be quite similar. Note that I'm not a professional!

The difference between anxiety and depression is that anxiety is triggered by external circumstances. Thus, it's situational.
Both depression and anxiety can occur simultaneously.

If you repeatedly have to deal with a situation that causes anxiety and can not resolve the issue, you might also develop depression.
So, environmental factors and living circumstances might also be responsible and could lead to depression:
People with depression tend to suffer from a low self-esteem and will feel overwhelmed and anxious more quickly when trying to handle situations.

Anxiety occurs when dealing with the object of your fear.
Depression however can accompany you for a longer time period, and you might suffer relapses. Some people are more prone to developing clinical depression, risk factors can be other conditions affecting your mental health like general anxiety disorder.

There are also various other risk factors like hormonal imbalances, vitamin D deficiency, endorphin deficiency, ...
Some people might be more prone to depression due to genetics. If you have a parent with clinical depression the heritability is around 40-50%.

Symptoms of depression might be:
  • fatique
  • no motivation for simple chores
  • neglecting personal hygiene
  • bad executive functioning
  • hobbies and favourite activities no longer cause pleasure
  • low frustration tolerance
  • feelings of emptiness
  • low self-esteem
  • fear of the future
  • suicidal thoughts
  • self-harm
  • social isolation

For thinking about depression, it feels like waves in the ocean. It can slowly roll in or it can slam the coastline.
Thank you, Aspychata. This is how I would describe my experience, as well.

And when it leaves, it takes some of ourself away.
When you say 'takes some of ourself away', do you mean it changes us, or, that it takes the depression/ unfavorable feelings/ thoughts away?

I would also say that you seem to connect more with others now, @Loren , which seems like progress and is helping you manage any depression or related condition. It's great to hear more from you!
Thank you very much, Thinx, for your kind words.

I do think connecting with people makes a big difference. I've noticed this in my life, away from the forum, as well. I isolated myself for an extensive period of time, after trauma, and doing so, made things a lot worse for myself/ my mental health, I believe. It feels good to interact and connect with people.

Hello @Loren--

I don't play as much of the forum games and what-not so I haven't seen all the recent activity you've been in but hey, good for you if you're finding some social activity that feels like it's helping.

The numbness is definitely a symptom of depression--it was much the same for me and I have to say that the numbness is one of the more disorienting things about it. Depression does a good job trying to make us forget who we are and what we're doing.

I do not know you well enough to be able to suggest a good way to combat this, but maybe it's apathy, maybe it's more definable as acedia, or maybe you prefer to call it those low-down blues. Either way it's still fairly common to lose all pleasure in activity you enjoyed before--common enough that it is a diagnostic criteria for major depressive disorder.

Course everyone's here and hoping that you end up better off soon.
Gerontius, thank you for your positive encouragement and words of wisdom. What you've explained resonates with me. I'm sorry that you have experience with depression, as well, and wish you and everyone else that does, better days, ahead. Thank you, again.

I've found (after 30+ years of varying low or depressed states) the less detail I apply in an attempt to identify a specific state or phase,
the sooner I move through it.

I don't ignore any symptoms. I'm aware and acknowledge.

I tend to view any symptoms I experience as a signal I may need to tweak a few things in my day to day activities or find alternative perspectives for something I'm anxious over.
The above assists me in moving through a particular phase.
If I do nothing about it, I know from experience I will spiral and so purposely reach out and seek out alternatives.
(creating choices for myself)

A couple of things I am certain about; generally speaking, is for me,
Any state or mood I experience isn't fixed indefinitely. Owing to this belief I can trust that I will feel differently in a month or so and am no longer afraid of how I feel in any given moment.
(removes the 'drama' and fear)

and secondly,
my success rate stands at 100% - only by a cats' whisker in some instances but I'm still around; hence success at 100% -
rambling and bungling my way through life, messing things up just like so many others :)

I could witter on indefinitely, but I wont.
Instead I will offer a virtual hug/fist bump/nod of acknowledgement - your choice :)
and offer an ear to listen should you so choose,

(the above should probably say 'eyes to read' but that just sounded plain old strange and may not have conveyed the same sentiment :) )
Thank you, Gracey. This is helpful. Thank you for sharing with me. A hug back to you.

Last edited:
I've been going through this feeling for several months now also.
I come to the forum every night, but, I find myself just doing a lot of reading of posts.
Seems like I don't know what to say and write.
Still grateful it is here even though it's like writer's block currently.
I concur. I'm grateful the forum is here, despite an inability to write/ interact, of late. I hope your block dissipates soon, should you want it to. Thank you for your input, Susan.

Last edited:
Thank you, Aspychata. This is how I would describe my experience, as well.

When you say 'takes some of ourself away', do you mean it changes us, or, that it takes the depression/ unfavorable feelings/ thoughts away?

It seems we feel less, less about everything around us. The wave of depression hits us and leaves less of our feelings, as we become numb. True depression for me was - l was 100% numb. I felt l was in a surreal film and l was watching it. Then l went antidepressants and with the help of a good friend and pills , l finally walked out of this numbness. It was painful numbness because l felt l couldn't actively engage with anything l was doing. I felt zombie like and l wasn't even on meds. Thank god l had a decent antidepressant. I was stalked for four years. It was pretty rough. I didn't know who the person was.

But your interaction here is good and shows you are coming out of your shell.

I can go into a depression from my anxiety. And when it is triggered, it’s very difficult to find a way to get out of it as the anxiety whirls and repeats all the negative feelings and thoughts. Worry can be a big factor in this, they are negative thoughts because your brain is focused on the what if, if, why etc. I hope that when you see your therapist, that you can get some more support but I hope that you can be in a less stressful situation soon.
Thank you, Owliet. This makes so much sense. And, thank you for your positive words/ wishes. I wish all the best to you.

I just want to say Loren, that I always value your well thought out and considerate posts when you’ve responded to anything I’ve posted.
Thank you for letting me know. I'm glad if I can be of support in any way. I value yours, as well, Owliet.

I`m sorry to hear you are having a difficult time Loren. And I always enjoy meeting you on the forum. :) What you describe could be depression, maybe you have a chemical imbalance in you? I have wondered lately if I have that, I`m way too down when I wake up in the morning. It sounds like you are struggling with a depression.

View attachment 75984
Thank you for sharing this, Forest Cat. I am sorry that you have been feeling down. I hope this dissipates, and you feel better, soon. I am not sure if I have a chemical imbalance, but I think it is possible. Thank you so much, for your kind words and for the lovely flowers. You are always so nice and so thoughtful.

I hope it goes very well, Gerald. Thank you for sharing what you've experienced.

I'm like that when I'm in panic attack period which is every day for the last 17 years worse after a death so its been worse since June last year
I'm so sorry, Streetwise. I have panic attacks on occasion, so, I understand. I can't imagine having the strength it must take, to contend with panic, daily. I'm very sorry you've experienced losing someone, recently. I hope the panic you experience will eventually subside.

I agree, you should consult a mental health expert on your symptoms.

I'm just trying to give you a simple overview on depression and anxiety as symptoms can be quite similar. Note that I'm not a professional!

The difference between anxiety and depression is that anxiety is triggered by external circumstances. Thus, it's situational.
Both depression and anxiety can occur simultaneously.

If you repeatedly have to deal with a situation that causes anxiety and can not resolve the issue, you might also develop depression.
So, environmental factors and living circumstances might also be responsible and could lead to depression:
People with depression tend to suffer from a low self-esteem and will feel overwhelmed and anxious more quickly when trying to handle situations.

Anxiety occurs when dealing with the object of your fear.
Depression however can accompany you for a longer time period, and you might suffer relapses. Some people are more prone to developing clinical depression, risk factors can be other conditions affecting your mental health like general anxiety disorder.

There are also various other risk factors like hormonal imbalances, vitamin D deficiency, endorphin deficiency, ...
Some people might be more prone to depression due to genetics. If you have a parent with clinical depression the heritability is around 40-50%.

Symptoms of depression might be:
  • fatique
  • no motivation for simple chores
  • neglecting personal hygiene
  • bad executive functioning
  • hobbies and favourite activities no longer cause pleasure
  • low frustration tolerance
  • feelings of emptiness
  • low self-esteem
  • fear of the future
  • suicidal thoughts
  • self-harm
  • social isolation
This is very helpful, Aneka. Thank you for sharing it. I have experienced several of the symptoms on the list, in the past. Thanks for suggesting I see a mental health professional. I will be sure to discuss this new symptom with my therapist, the next time I see her.

New Threads

Top Bottom