• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Images that make you uncomfortable

NDR2

There's been a thread here about advertising images that make people uncomfortable. I decided to start a thread about other kinds of images that have made you uncomfortable in the past, or make you feel uneasy in the present.

For instance, when I was a child, paintings of people in which the person is looking at the viewer would make me feel uneasy. Particularly if the person wasn’t smiling - even if the person was smiling very big. I wouldn’t want pictures like that in my room. It may have been a case of sensory overload. But I still sort of feel that way today.

To give an example, I had the book read in this video when I was a child. It was read to me once, but I never asked for it to be read to me again. It might seem like it was the pictures of the monsters that were problematic. But it was the picture of the boy and his mother in the car that did it for me.

Please note that this thread is not intended to be a place to post gore, violence, or anything else that will break forum posting rules. If you think something may be particularly disturbing, remember to consider our PG-13 environment. Please do not post images that do not fit within forum rules.

For maximum benefit, try to express what it is about the image that makes you feel uncomfortable.

For instance, when I was a child, paintings of people in which the person is looking at the viewer would make me feel uneasy.
This is a big one for me. Pictures on book covers in particular that have a person looking directly into the camera, I always have to turn them face down.

There's a couple of threads in here where members keep posting pictures of people and I find most of them to be disturbing.

It was the avatars that people have here with one eyeball, and l think eww, why? It reminds me of Clockwork Orange movie. But l really don't like the lady reading this story, her voice creeps me out.

There's a couple of threads in here where members keep posting pictures of people and I find most of them to be disturbing.
I like portraits as long as their expressions are not negative.
I am even okay with negative expressions in a narrative context, but those are not directed at the viewer.

I remember on another forum quite some years ago (probably like 2010-2011), it was a trend to post pictures of extreme closeups of the human eye and like yeah that was the kind of image that just made me so uncomfortable for some reason. I don't even know why they did, but they still do to this day.

So naturally of course when I expressed why I disliked those images, people just kept on posting them :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: because God forbid you use a spoiler or link to the images when someone says that these pics make them uncomfortable. (And this was in like a general chat thread, if it had been a thread that was something like 'Check out these cool close-up pics of the eye!' and they made me uncomfortable, I would've just not gone in the thread after seeing the images and being uncomfortable with them)

Momo. It always gives me a mini heart attack whenever I see it. If you don't know what it is then Google it...if you're brave enough. It's so in the uncanny valley.
I won't post a picture of it because it might be too freaky. Please don't post a picture of it either.

There's been a thread here about advertising images that make people uncomfortable. I decided to start a thread about other kinds of images that have made you uncomfortable in the past, or make you feel uneasy in the present.

Is your hope for this thread that people, including you, will
note a commonality of human experience, that some things
we see are scary/creepy/unpleasant aka make them feel
uncomfortable?

In which case there's no need to post actual images, is there?

My best hope would be that people would try to examine what it
is/was about whatever images/sights creeped them out, and
state that in words, so that they'd feel more secure in the future.

Screen Shot 2023-08-28 at 11.35.59 AM.png

triggers ^
someone had that shirt.

Regardless,
Yes that shade of orange makes me uncomfortable for sensory reasons. Yellow and orange both feel offensive to my eyes and make me recoil a bit. The exception is softer oranges like pumpkin.

The pattern bothers me because it's too busy, and I don't like things with straight lines. There are no straight lines in nature. It's too orderly and controlling. It suggests an abnormal fastidiousness in the person.

I don't do buttons for myself because they're uncomfortable. On men's shirts they're OK but I wouldn't want to hug anyone wearing buttons. I also hate ironing around the stupid things.

The name tag is bothersome because yes, the original shirt like that was RL.

The fabric is annoying because it wrinkles easily and it's not soft to touch.

To me the most disturbing thing about that shirt is trying to imagine what sort of person would wear it. :)

For me it's pictures of people displaying false emotions, this is especially evident in advertising images but there's a lot of others as well. The picture below is one that I find seriously disturbing even though most people wouldn't have a problem with it.

Pictures of people taken candidly or in more natural poses often appeal to me, but images like this one totally weird me out:

image-png.113583

Lately, advertisements for personal care items have gotten really graphic.

For instance, TV commercials featuring:

Red liquid poured on a maxi pad

Razors shaving pubic hairs along the bikini zone.

Toilet paper ads that talk about the ability to clean feces off of one's derriere.

It's disgusting.

No one asked for this.

These companies think they are woke, and inclusive, but really, it alienates the customers.

When I see these ads, it reminds me of who not to shop from.

New Threads

Top Bottom