• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Images that make you uncomfortable

IMG_5007.png

For instance, when I was a child, paintings of people in which the person is looking at the viewer would make me feel uneasy. Particularly if the person wasn’t smiling - even if the person was smiling very big. I wouldn’t want pictures like that in my room. It may have been a case of sensory overload. But I still sort of feel that way today.

ANYTHING with eyes creeped me out as a kid. Pictures, dolls, stuffed animals...
My aunt collected dolls and her guest room was her display area. I HATED that room. There must've been hundreds of dolls in there, all staring straight ahead. There were too many to lay them all face down and put them back to normal in the morning and I was afraid my aunt would get mad or tell me to not be silly if she caight me moving them

I remember seeing this show when I was little, and my reactions to it weren't too positive. The opening and closing sequences with the lights out and the host in silhouette form were a little eerie (from one of the comments on the page of the video I can see I wasn't alone) - I wondered how she was able to sit absolutely still during the closing sequence (later I could tell it was a freeze frame). I also didn't care for slow music at that time. I could read at a very young age, but I couldn't read the print on the screen (I couldn't read script). The host's manner wasn't particularly unappealing, but I had never seen a woman in an exercise outfit before, so that looked a little strange at first, too. Of course, I was also too young to understand the program.

However, looking at it now, it does look like a good program. Yoga is certainly a good form of exercise and can be relaxing and beneficial to one's health. Some sources I trust recommended the program, too. I've never tried doing the exercises along with it, but I certainly might someday.

I guess it shows how a highly sensitive child's reaction to something can be unique.

Here’s something from recent years. There was an optical store near work that I’d pass on my way home. In the front window I could see they had this round piece of styrofoam the size of a head, and on it they would show moving pictures of faces wearing glasses and smiling at the viewer. The first time I saw it I cringed a little. (I thought like, “Can this guy actually see me?”) Then when I saw the pictures change, I could see it was just a video. But those were the types of expressions that embarrass me. Eventually they got rid of it. Regardless, once I started getting eye care insurance at work, that store became the place where I would see my new optometrist and get new pairs of reading glasses.

There's been a thread here about advertising images that make people uncomfortable. I decided to start a thread about other kinds of images that have made you uncomfortable in the past, or make you feel uneasy in the present.

For instance, when I was a child, paintings of people in which the person is looking at the viewer would make me feel uneasy. Particularly if the person wasn’t smiling - even if the person was smiling very big. I wouldn’t want pictures like that in my room. It may have been a case of sensory overload. But I still sort of feel that way today.

To give an example, I had the book read in this video when I was a child. It was read to me once, but I never asked for it to be read to me again. It might seem like it was the pictures of the monsters that were problematic. But it was the picture of the boy and his mother in the car that did it for me.

Wow - the other thing that disturbs me here is the book reader :tearsofjoy:

View attachment 116493
is it just me or does this look like a turd?
The first impression I get from this image is a problem to me. A question of scale given the chosen camera angle. If it is like an "eye of the round" cut of beef, it would be best photographed somewhat parallel to the ground on a table. Photographing it directly from above makes it all seem unnatural- even bizarre at least to me.

I already mentioned pictures of people facing the viewer. But extreme close-ups of faces have seemed more intimidating to me. I know this is meant to be funny, but still…

1709579712525.jpeg

Wow - the other thing that disturbs me here is the book reader :tearsofjoy:
Again, I'm sorry. This was the first video that came up when I did a search and I saw that it showed the pictures clearly enough to show what I meant. But after watching it again, I can see how the reader's voice may be intimidating to some people. It's certainly good to talk about these things.

Is this voice more tolerable?

Either way, this isn't a book I would recommend for children.

The fish is making me uncomfortable as well as all the other graffiti designs as they don’t exist in the splatoon universe

Attachments

• IMG_6813.jpeg
    IMG_6813.jpeg
    513.8 KB · Views: 6
@mysterionz

What can you do regarding the many things you see that make you uncomfortable?

Besides pointing them out?

Certainly my feelings about some images have changed since I was a child. But it’s very hard to forget your initial reactions to things.

ZOOM was one of the first shows I watched regularly as a child. I enjoyed it at the time, even though I was too young for it, and couldn’t quite understand it all. There were some parts that were inappropriate for preschoolers, and some even scary. I first saw the new episodes at the time, and reruns from the previous season from when I was a baby. Later I saw reruns of the earliest episodes from before I was born, and being a highly sensitive child, those episodes seemed to give me the most trouble. A lot of little things seemed different than what I used to: Some cast members who seemed unfamiliar at first (I recognized a few of them because they appeared the second season, too), a cast member appearing on camera and announcing that it was a repeat episode, the kids wearing light blue sweatshirts instead of rugby shirts during the opening sequence (not to mention an unusual blend of voices), the kids’ names in all capital letters instead of capital and lower case, the kids running and standing in front of the ZOOM letters at the beginning (in the later seasons they only did that during the ending), different music during the silent movies, etc. Below is a sample episode.

There were some discomforting images as well, like the extreme close-up of the ZOOM letters at the beginning, and the flashing display in the segment bumpers. (Even though they used the same familiar music – except for the orchestrated music for the “Play of the Week” segment, which I didn't care for. This particular play certainly wouldn’t be appropriate for preschoolers. The mad scientist’s evil laugh and sinister voice was a little intimidating to me then.) I’ve also mentioned before about extreme close-ups of faces. The movie with everything the boy touches disappearing certainly was a problem for me. It wasn’t so much the disappearing that bothered me, but the camera zooming in on the boy’s face as he grits his teeth was more than a little intimidating to me.

New Threads

Top Bottom