• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

If W is 'double-u'...

I have always wondered about that W-thing. It annoyed me when I was in school. Double-V would make sense. Double-U is just annoying. :)

How did w get its name?​

It is from this ⟨uu⟩ digraph that the modern name “double U” derives. The digraph was commonly used in the spelling of Old High German, but only in the earliest texts in Old English, where the /w/ sound soon came to be represented by borrowing the rune ⟨ᚹ⟩, adapted as the Latin letter wynn: ⟨ƿ⟩.

Last edited:
Oh, it's time for me to be a nerd in this thread.

It all has to do with the origins of the letters. The letter W did not exist in the classical Latin alphabet, the letter they used to represent the 'w' sound was in fact V (which, at the time, was also not distinct from the letter U) but then over time, the sound of the letter 'V' in Latin changed and, by the time of Early Medieval Latin, no longer made the 'w' sound.

So, to represent the 'w' sound used in Germanic languages, Early English and Old High German writers came to use either the digraph 'vv' or 'uu' to represent the sound. And, of course, over time the digraph of the two letters merged together into the modern W. (And, of course, the name comes from the fact that uu was one of the two digraphs used to represent the sound - it could have very easily been called double v as well - I mean look at the name of the letter in Spanish and French [except in some parts of Central America where the letter is called doble u (double u) because of the influence of English thanks to US culture])

Anyways contrast that with the letter M, which does not originate as a duplication of the letter N.

@Rodafina, it's still annoying. :) Double U... I don't like it.

I want to mention that when I clicked that link, my computer said "download blocked". The site tried to do something on my computer that my computer didn't like.

It all has to do with the origins of the letters. The letter W did not exist in the classical Latin alphabet, the letter they used to represent the 'w' sound was in fact V (which, at the time, was also not distinct from the letter U) but then over time, the sound of the letter 'V' in Latin changed and, by the time of Early Medieval Latin, no longer made the 'w' sound.

So, to represent the 'w' sound used in Germanic languages, Early English and Old High German writers came to use either the digraph 'vv' or 'uu' to represent the sound. And, of course, over time the digraph of the two letters merged together into the modern W. (And, of course, the name comes from the fact that uu was one of the two digraphs used to represent the sound - it could have very easily been called double v as well - I mean look at the name of the letter in Spanish and French [except in some parts of Central America where the letter is called doble u (double u) because of the influence of English thanks to US culture])

Anyways contrast that with the letter M, which does not originate as a duplication of the letter N.
Same

THANKS!

I think this letter is interesting: Æ. Our local alphabet has a few extra letters and that's an "A" and an "E" stapled together. It's a letter mash-up. :) If anyone is curious, it's the sound you make in the middle of the word "bad". And "sad". That's the Æ.

Interesting piece of information. Thanks. :)

I think this letter is interesting: Æ. Our local alphabet has a few extra letters and that's an "A" and an "E" stapled together. It's a letter mash-up. :) If anyone is curious, it's the sound you make in the middle of the word "bad". And "sad". That's the Æ.
Yeah, French has that and Œ as well, although Æ is considered rare and basically only used in terms borrowed from Latin and Greek.

They're not letters in French though, so like in dictionaries they're just considered a combination of OE and AE when putting words in alphabetical order.

(I've been studying French for some years now lol)

Yeah, French has that and Œ as well, although Æ is considered rare and basically only used in terms borrowed from Latin and Greek.

They're not letters in French though, so like in dictionaries they're just considered a combination of OE and AE when putting words in alphabetical order.

(I've been studying French for some years now lol)

Yeah we have the Æ and the Ø and the Å here. English-speaking people just have too few letters in their alphabet I think. They need more letters. :)

...then why isn't M called 'double-n'?
'M' is actually 'Double Upside Down V'.
'C' is 'Broken O'.
'Q' is 'O With C's Missing Bit'.
'X' is 'Two-Legged Y'.
'F' is 'Broken E'.
'Z' is 'Lazy N'.
'P' is 'Upside Down Small B'.
'R' is 'Two-legged P' or 'Two-Legged Upside Down Small B'.
'K' is 'Broken R' or 'Broken Two-Legged P' or 'Broken Two-Legged Upside Down Small B'.

I hope this clears things up.

Last edited:
If you're looking for logical explanations in languages, don't waste your time on English.

You probably won't find it. ;)

I met an old Bavarian man once who's English was better than most Australians, but his thick accent meant that most people couldn't understand him anyway. I asked him if he had much trouble learning English.

"Vhat Engliss? Tzere is no such tzing as Engliss!". Then he switched to a crisp clean Cambridge accent and said "You are all speaking German but you do not have the good grace to speak it properly." :)

I've had a few German friends over the years that said that was one of the confusing parts about learning English for them, remembering that it was a double U and not a double V.

As a child I was taught to write it as a double U too, I didn't start seeing the pointy W until computers came along.

Ɯ

New Threads

Top Bottom