• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

If W is 'double-u'...

"W" and "43". Interchangeable in American English. :p

Double-Ya.jpg

(Unless you're Richard Petty. Then "43" means something else.)

I'm not from english speaking counrty and don't use w in my language, but we call that letter "duplo v", which would mean "double v", rather than double u. It in fact is double v.

The name doesn't bother me but I always wonder how it ended up in English we pronounce the W like other europeans pronounce V and vice versa.

Reminds me of the scene in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade where Indiana has to spell the name "Jesus" by leaping onto different tiles. He starts with a J, and nearly falls to his death. He then corrects himself and instead leaps to an I.

Speaking of letters, when I was a child I remember seeing this bumper at the beginning of some shows on PBS. You'll hear that they say, "The following is from NIT." It doesn't look like an N. That I never understood.

hmm "double u" vs "double v".

let me remember in high german. it's silly but in order to remember the names of letters in other languages, i have to recite the alphabet.

I am reciting aloud:
koo arr ess tey ooo fow vey ix ipsilon tsed

so "V" is "fow" and makes an f sound
"W" (double u) is "vey" and makes a v sound

Hmmm.

Okay en espanol

I am reciting aloud, phonetically, to remember:
koo arr array ess tey oo vey doublay-oo eckies ikreyayga zeta

So "V" is "Vey" and "Doublay-oo" is "W"

In Spanish Double-U is the W

So I would assume that our phonetic Double U for W is from a Latin source, rather than a Teutonic one.

"W" and "43". Interchangeable in American English. :p

View attachment 109717

(Unless you're Richard Petty. Then "43" means something else.)
OMG you said Richard Petty <3

My family and I were very into NASCAR in the 90s and early 2000s.

I grew up a couple hours from the California Speedway. As a young adult I lived driving distance from Daytona. I have seen both raceways.

Now I'm all sad about Dale (Earnhardt, I mean).

I can't think Richard Petty without the resulting reminder of Dale.

I remember screaming and hollering and banter, beers in the air, cheering, to absolute breathless silence when he died. You could have heard a pin drop.

And then Dale Jr in 2002, that was so scary.

New Threads

Top Bottom