• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I had enough of faith and belief in God

What's really interesting is that churches existed long before psychologists, counselors, social workers did. And often the priests, and or nuns acted in this capacity for the community at large. My mom went to a boarding school run by nuns, but sadly , she seems to have some bad memories of this. My grandmother was a single mother, and felt she couldn't work and raise a daughter, and this was the best way to go. Churches often counsel couples through marital conflicts.
Nothing is perfect: churches are not perfect, neither is the so-called 'psychological community'. I have seen all forms of abuse in both, from physical to mental to even sexual. Nothing's infallible. I trust neither in the matter of personal counseling and just prefer to go with my own gut. And my individual faith.

...and my married acquaintance even said my odds of getting a girlfriend are slim to none.
Now that was very uncool of them to say! That is only an opinion...and it's injurious. Quite literally, a write-off. It was definitely not fair to you.

This is my opinion here: live your life, take care of yourself. It's not the matter of seeking someone but to be a seekable one. Just work on you: live, grow, experience. Be unique! Enjoy! Life happens when you least expect it...same with relationships. "That which you least expect...when you least expect it". Sure works for me!

Expecting human believers in God, to be God is incorrect ,God is there,but he's a gentleman and won't force you ,to be very close to him 24\7 , you have to keep close to him out of free will .

He only! guarantees, you won't go to hell, the rest can happen dependent upon you and him, holy spiritual love(as opposed to erotic love -just lust) isn't perverted and love won't be manipulated.

Immaturity is an aspect of humans, mortal creatures ,as you age and experience, whats important will alter

I gave up religion for ethics when I read Bertrand Russel's Why I am Not a Christian. When I was existentially lonely, I decided I could never forgive any cruel god for making me that way and that solidified my atheism.

Heard that over and over again. Don't believe it. Just like I don't believe she will find you when you are not looking. What a bunch of bull.
Well...my Mom keeps hope. She wants her boy to be happy but my happiness doesn't involve saddling another person with my autism. Marriage just isn't for me. I've been married, had sex, had kids. It's over. Moms are kinda weirdly hopeful, though.

But it's worked on other aspects of my life. Sometimes when I have a traveling jones hit, it'll stay that way awhile...then an opportunity emerges: drive twice across the US & dodge two severe thunderstorms & one tornado? On it. An annular eclipse in Winnemucca, Nevada? I'm there! I'm an opportunist...without victimizing others. So...giddonout in the world while ya can...just have a good time.

Why does anyone want to believe in a god that is supposedly good, loving and caring when they clearly are none of those things? A god that lets horrible things happen to innocent people for no good reason or brutally punishes them for trivial reasons? Like for example people during the Black Death would go to church and basically be like, "Hey Lord, can you please take away this horrible plague you gave us because you're such a good and loving god? I don't know what exactly we did to deserve such a horrific disease, but whatever it was, we're sorry already, okay?"

And that's all I can say.

I am going to reveal something about myself, but I'm still not going to be overly detailed. I lived through and experienced first hand one of the worst cases of satanic panic and corruption in the United States, and it's still talked about to this very day. Documentaries have been made. I was there for all of it. I had questions and made statements of fact in that time that had clergy and legal people calling my parents to suggest that I should keep my mouth shut, if I knew what was best for me. I only became stealthier, and I was compelled to read on religions to the fullest - cover to cover reads of way more than that one book some people claim (and yet more often prove they have not at all) to have fully read. It was beyond important that I knew exactly what I or anyone else was thinking or talking about. I've said it before, and I repeat myself - if you read these texts cover to cover, you will most likely find yourself on my same path. Claims of what they are compared to the reality of what they fully are, are disturbingly different. The same goes for the very zealous types that are so quick to force it upon someone (or obviously the level of zealots that called my parents however many times). What happened to friends of mine...and then what oppressive things happened to the truth pursuant of us afterwards...will not ever happen to me again...and I will be defensive to help prevent anyone spiraling down into such a pit because of depression, despair, etc. Only those who are clear in mind and speak and act with calm, compassion and truly promote they are positive and have the best of intentions...those I will never go against. I don't despise the righteous. I envy those who find the positives. I still know the truth, though. I still have my stance. I will never let others be taken advantage of or persuaded in sketchy fashion to join or believe in anything, if you will. It can be anything....religion, politics...freaking becoming a member of Oprah's book club or something...if I see negative swaying...I'm jumping in and calling it out.

Otherwise, I apologize for getting worked up. I just have seriously experienced the worst, and I want it for no one else, ever.

God is the best thing in life, and the only thing truly worth it, even if life experiences messes up our perception of him.

I’m sorry to read of your struggles Rettybaby, whatever you have experienced from Christian’s , if they have been abusive you need to be careful but know that God does love you! He has made you and has a plan for you. It’s not easy, I know that too, but He does love you.

@Dagan , shocking to read. Glad you are here spreading your message. Anybody can get sucked up into weird stuff if you don't stay in the present.

Now that was very uncool of them to say! That is only an opinion...and it's injurious. Quite literally, a write-off. It was definitely not fair to you.

This is my opinion here: live your life, take care of yourself. It's not the matter of seeking someone but to be a seekable one. Just work on you: live, grow, experience. Be unique! Enjoy! Life happens when you least expect it...same with relationships. "That which you least expect...when you least expect it". Sure works for me!
Very true. I was not even prepared until 25 to date when I began understanding and working towards the positive in myself. I liked me and soon was in one relationship and then the final one that is still going strong.

Just a different perspective from another autistic mind here .
Maybe all the metaphors and symbols of a supreme “being”
Is just our primitive way of comprehending existence here .

Maybe we could look at it as just “being” we are here all experiencing qualia , every experience good or bad is something to experience, especially with the set limitations of time.

Maybe just maybe we are all just part of the universe recognizing its own consciousness.

Isn't it that God is Love? Even in the Christian bible this is written. So anything, not of love, is just human's projections and misunderstandings and our very limited minds trying to grapple with "The ineffable" .

Following that logical line of thought "God" would want us to be loving and kind, not only to other's, but towards ourselves.

This would include; being discerning about who we give our allegiance to, who we choose to spend time with, what and who we believe, what we say to ourselves (and other's ), how we care for ourselves.

A lot of that is on us.

No loving deity is going to swoop in and save us from ourselves, as that would be depriving us from owning our own hard won victories.

As a parent I know that I have to let my children make their own mistakes so they can learn from them and develop their own wisdom.

Love can only be given freely so we cannot force anything on anyone if we love them, and, as we can observe, humans, given the freedom to make their own choices, make some pretty terrible ones, at times, and some not-very-wise ones plenty of times.

That is not "God's" fault. That is our own foolishness.

Religion is sometimes fraught with foolishness and human foibles and even corruption, human politics and human agendas, and can have very little to do with "love" and the awareness of our eternal, "spiritual" nature.

That is for the individual to develop; no organised cultural structure can develop you, you have to make the commitment, internally, and "Ask and you shall receive". Ask, internally, with a pure and open heart and you will find things open up for you and your own internal loving feeling(s), and the wisdom you develop, will make all the difference in your life.

And I heard it over and over and over and over and over from here and all my married acquaintances I am tired of it. I just heard it today and my married acquaintance even said my odds of getting an girlfriend are slim to none.
In the future, I’ll try to avoid giving you advice that is so obvious that of course others have attempted to offer the same. I will suggest though, that if you hear the same advice over and over and over and over and over again, from multiple sources… maybe simply getting tired of hearing it isn’t a useful response on your part. Maybe you need to gird up your loins and either listen to advice or quit asking for it. Seriously, Tony, consider the possibility that you really don’t want a solution, because then you’d have to follow through. If that’s the case, then you can quit laboring after a solution you don’t really want. Save yourself the exertion, just reconcile yourself to a lonely life.

Pandector.... Job was a wager between God and Satan that should have never been allowed. No loving "Father" allows the worst, unspeakable evils upon their "child" just to prove that child's love and/or loyalty...to anyone...for any reason. Absolute narcissism. That book is also the first horror story that I ever read, actually. The second is Revelations. The only lessons they teach is that said God can and will do whatever it wants, whenever it wants and that you are to never question its ways because of the power it has over you and will absolutely exact upon you without regret.

It's also amazingly contradictory to explain what emotional blackmail is...and then you use it by explaining that you and others have it bad or worse (lions or torches), so people here should not worry or focus on their own struggles - so just get back to the worshipping and being thankful for what you have part. To another, you speak as if you know the intentions of theirs and exactly the thinking of others in their congregation. You have a very pretentious stance of what "absolutely is." I call BS. I won't blame you entirely, though because like I already explained...that's a tactic taught from and by the churches, preachers, priests, clergy...since forever. Essentially, "well, we can't have any of this questioning...just keep accepting life as it is and keep begging some supposed loving entity for better treatment and options" .....at whatever later date it will or won't decide upon, of course. I see and hear this kind of blind and empathy lacking defense of religions constantly. I will always call it out because it's beyond not cool. There is no love in it whatsoever.

There's more issue with you saying "...God will always reward honest inquiry into his word. Just be aware; the reward someone demands from God will almost certainly not be the one he decides to give..." --- You just proved that it makes no sense for anyone to have specific prayers at all...ever. It's completely pointless and just proves your God is an even bigger narcissist than I already explained. This God must also hate Burger King, everyone because you will never be able to ask to have things your way. The overall fault in this instance being...why even want to go to this God's heaven, then? We're told that its heaven will consist of all that we could ever desire...but how is that, exactly...how is that guaranteed and that we can trust it when this same God won't even guarantee meeting our needs here in this complex, full of struggles existence that we never even asked for? We are given very little to trust at all. In fact, the only entity that gave us this existence according to you staunch believers is this same God that is supposed to never once have want, need, desire or anything such. And yet, here we are, constantly dealing with struggles, pain, and all this God can focus on is scaring us / forcing us to love and worship it ?!?!?!?!? PARADOX.
So then, you have some issues with Christianity. And you personalize your displeasure in my direction. I’ll have to live with that, given that it would take several pages of rebuttal to respond to your many points of contention.

In general terms, it seems to bother you that I speak of Biblical matters with a sense of clarity and certainty. Possibly, you don’t notice that you employ a strong sense of moral clarity about how God should act and what his priorities should be. That is, if he hopes to carry any weight in your book. Hubris seems to be common among humans in general.

Please go back and notice that my statement was about making demands of God, not about prayerful requests, which distinction was my point there.

Another major point of possible confusion is that you serially assume that you know better what is best for you than does your creator. You seem to believe that, left to your own, you could produce for yourself a more pleasant life than God is able to provide. At root, this is more raw hubris, and stands directly opposed to what the God of Scripture claims.

Like @Aspychata , you assume that the reason people submit to the lordship of Christ is because we don’t want to fry. Let me point out that the toddler doesn’t run into the street because he’s afraid of another unpleasant run-in with Mommy or Daddy, not because he understands the physics of relative velocity. In the same way, the maturing Christian outgrows the need of the fear factor, having learned it’s for their own good. Attributing childish motives to mature Christians demonstrates a lack of spiritual understanding.

Those are my best attempts at responding to your assertions in general without trying to answer each individual statement.

Autistic counselors are hard to find around here,...
If you are in the US,...
Because it offers peace unspeakable and helps you trust two gifts I do not have.
This all began when I started my spiritual journey on Proverbs and understood it and gained the spirit if wisdom but dropped it.
And my whole life would be better if I had no started in the chapter proverbs.
What chapter did u start on?
Do you have a church and a pastor?
So many young Christians isolate themselves and get discouraged as a result.
One of the purposes of the Church is to encourage believers in their daily walk [Eph. 4:11-16].
My Eyes Are Dry, Keith Green (1978)

Thank you @The Pandector . However, l never assume a deity would know what is best for me. I am a grown adult, and l don't need a mystical being telling me how to behave, l have been blessed with knowing the difference between right and wrong, and to treat others with kindness unless it's just not a good choice. You assigned us a creator in your blanket statement, and l have to say my mother and father created me. At the hospital, they asked for the father's name, and it wasn't some abstract idea that my mom gave them. However l respect your right to follow your religion, and l thank you for discussing your viewpoints in a friendly matter, and adding value to this discussion. I am happy you find value in being Christian. I find value in examining many religions and respecting them all. 

Last edited:
@The Pandector l do feel that you have no right to tell @Tony Ramirez that he will be subjected to a life of loneliness, this actually seems very uncaring, and very upsetting. As a beacon of the Christian faith, as you propose yourself to be, l would expect a more uplifting message delivered with kindness and love. Sorry, you have disappointed me.

New Threads

Top Bottom